Recommend shoulder bag for Canon 5D2 with lens and flash mounted.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
Just a bit of background. All my bags are backpacks. I always find shoulder bags uncomfortable as they tend to slip off the shoulder, makes long duration uncomfortable, and difficult to take out lens cos need to balance bag with one leg up and flip up the cover, etc. However, I cannot deny that shoulder bags look more stylish compared to walking around like a ninja turtle.

Is there a shoulder bag that can keep Canon 5D2 (without grip) + a zoom lens + small flash (RD2000) mounted, and can be quickly "pulled" out from the bag. This combination is quite bulky so requires quite a big opening yet won't allow equipment to fall out. On top of the camera, there should also be space for a small prime lens. The bag also must have compartments to keep other things such as keys, cellphone, pens, etc.

BTW, it does not have to be a camera bag. I just need it to look less conspicious and good enough to go out with gf to atas restaurant without looking like a photo geek.

Think Tank Retrospective series, maybe Retro 10 will do. Try go the website and see the spec.

Look like a normal messenger bag, not really stylo type, GF asked me why I spend so much money and bought a 20 dollar pasar malam bag... :cry:

+1 for the retrospective series from Think Tank... Super comfortable shoulder pad. The best I have ever seen in any camera bags.

[vid]OnVT8UAUU7Q[/vid]

i'm a happy owner of thinktank retro 10 as well..
i hv the pinestone color....and its small outside and spacious inside..
i can attach 60d+ Sigma 50 150 attach + 10 22+ 13" laptop
and its quite comfort...

crumpler MDH 7

Somehow the Crumpler never attracted my attention cos they look too school boy. Probably due to the canvas material.

i'm a happy owner of thinktank retro 10 as well..
i hv the pinestone color....and its small outside and spacious inside..
i can attach 60d+ Sigma 50 150 attach + 10 22+ 13" laptop
and its quite comfort...

Retro 10 seems good. I am seeing if there are more classy options. If there are none, then will get this.

You can try KATA or Vanguards. Both using GOOD material.

Last edited:
if u want to try...domke F5XC is nice as well...
but its too small for me and the pouch is limited...
thy have 1 with brown wax colour..
nat geo is good but its better to buy the insert padding...
i like nat geo grey 1..its cool man.
ahhaha

damn, im a bagholic...

nobody likes Lowepro?

too low-class? ;)
probably would not satisfy this criteria
"...good enough to go out with gf to atas restaurant without looking like a photo geek"

;)

ZerocoolAstra said:
nobody likes Lowepro?

too low-class? ;)
...good enough to go out with gf to atas restaurant without looking like a photo geek

;)

Hahaha Lowepro also good what. Let's wait for the Lowepro people. :)

Somehow the Crumpler never attracted my attention cos they look too school boy. Probably due to the canvas material.

It's due to the age... :bsmilie: I got a Crumpler messenger bag 4-5 years ago, Barney Rustle Blanket I think. Last time feel the bag is cool, now feel like mmmm... too shiny, leather nicer... Getting old... :cry:

Crumpler material very tough, used it daily to work for 5 years now still no wear no tear.

I got the Retro 10 black, look semi formal only, bring to atas restaurant not really match but still can do. Hang ur 5d mark 2 + some red rubber band lens outside the bag, atas enough already.

Kelly Moore boy bag?

kelly-boy-black-front.jpg

How about Jack bags (the men series from Jill-e bags). Genuine Colombian Cowhide totally... Kelly Moore are not real leather... more like leatherette (faux leather).

961495_front_6.jpg

144744_front_6.jpg

You can try KATA or Vanguards. Both using GOOD material.

They have the photo geek look.

if u want to try...domke F5XC is nice as well......

They are both canvas, no leather or suede.

nobody likes Lowepro?

too low-class? ;)
"...good enough to go out with gf to atas restaurant without looking like a photo geek"

;)

I like Lowepro. I have the Omni-pro and Flipside 400. But they are not for the purpose of this purchase.

Kelly Moore boy bag?

This looks interesting!

Last edited:
Billinghams? Definitely atas.

They look too classic. I prefer a more modern design.

How about Jack bags (the men series from Jill-e bags). Genuine Colombian Cowhide totally... Kelly Moore are not real leather... more like leatherette (faux leather).

They look too squarish to be stylo milo.

Last edited: