Recommend on 70-300 lens for D70 needed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanagi

May 9, 2005
So far looking on Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 Super II and Tamron 70-300 LD F4-5.6.

Which one is better in pic quality?

I heard that Sigma one is bad in mechanical thing. very easy to be broken. is that true?

yanagi said:
So far looking on Sigma APO 70-300 F4-5.6 Super II and Tamron 70-300 LD F4-5.6.

Which one is better in pic quality?

I heard that Sigma one is bad in mechanical thing. very easy to be broken. is that true?

I have the tamron one.

see link for pics taken by the lens. http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=171214

you can judge for yrself.

nice shoot. I like the first one pic.
But seems getting softer after 200mm. Anyone made a comparison between sigma and tamron? I saw some sigma pic before, like its color.

wait for the new rumoured Nikorr 70-300mm AFS VR.... :thumbsup:

yanagi said:
nice shoot. I like the first one pic.
But seems getting softer after 200mm. Anyone made a comparison between sigma and tamron? I saw some sigma pic before, like its color.

u can do a quick search as u r not the 1st person to ask this question.

i have tried the both lens before. both are abt the same except that sigma has a better built and the pic quality r maginally better. (a lot of that depends on the photographer's skills).

if i have the extra $$, I will buy the sigma lens. If i have less $$ to spare but i need a reasonably good telezoom lens, i will choose the tamron. the price difference is abt $100.
Of course if yr budget is between 400-500, u can get the nikon 70-300 ED.

it all depends on yr budget and preference.

just my 2 cents thought.

btw, a lot of experts will give u many recommendations.

I will say their recommendations are best from their perspective. It may not be the best for u.

U will have to consider the price and weight of your purchase :)

Thanks u all for the suggestions....

But I heard that Nikkor 70-300 ED one actually is made by Tamron and seems have the same quality with Tamron one.
I am a little shy in pocket, so price may not beyond $500. In this case, seems Sigma one is the best choice so far. right???

the sigma apo II is very good... super value for money... has macro from 200mm to 300mm range too....

i'd recommend the sigma apo II... the 70-200VR is not for everyone :) if you're on a budget and don't need a professional grade lens, the 70-300 Sigma APO II is an excellent choice. It's sharp, contrasty, not extremely fast, but capable. Coupled with experience when using the lens and good post-processing skills, you'll do fine :D cheers!

yanagi said:
Thanks u all for the suggestions....

But I heard that Nikkor 70-300 ED one actually is made by Tamron and seems have the same quality with Tamron one.
I am a little shy in pocket, so price may not beyond $500. In this case, seems Sigma one is the best choice so far. right???
Huh? care to share where you heard that from?

TMC said:
Huh? care to share where you heard that from?

I read it somewhere too... when i was using a nikon system - just starting out, i was looking for a 70-300 zoom. everyone recommended the ED which was about 600 bucks and i did some research. The mechanisms and build of the Tamron, not to mention, design is almost reminiscent to that of the Nikon 70-300 ED and if im not wrong... one of the review sites (a popular one online) did some article about it and established and even (iirc) said that the Nikon version was OEM'd by Tamron, but with a different lens coating. Something like that... dont take my word for it if you dont like what you read, but i'm being dead honest.

nah, just curious to know since I havent seen that article for myself. Would be interesting to know.

base on my experience Sigma 70-300mm cant without tripod especially for the stage shooting...

eight said:
base on my experience Sigma 70-300mm cant without tripod especially for the stage shooting...

you are right -- if the stage is indoors and the lighting is very dim, but outdoors, this lens kicks ass -- bang for the buck, to put it crudely~ I can't recommend this lens for stage shooting as well, unless it's a really bright stage you're shooting.

AF-S 70-200VR f2.8G.

MTL, BBB, you know you want it.. do it!!

espn said:
AF-S 70-200VR f2.8G.

MTL, BBB, you know you want it.. do it!!

i think the thread starter may want to consider if u r the one selling this lens at the price of a sigma 70-300 apo. if that is the case, pls count me in too.

vbs1979 said:
i think the thread starter may want to consider if u r the one selling this lens at the price of a sigma 70-300 apo. if that is the case, pls count me in too.
If you can get the 70-200VR at the price of the Sigma 70-300, I buy from you lor.

Status
Not open for further replies.