Recommend: no-frills monopod combi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wryer

Dec 17, 2002
Tampines
Visit site
hi all!

can some nice people recommend me a cheap and no-frills monopod? I intend to use it for normal streetshooting and macro photography. I don't mind a monopod with a built-in plate too..if not, can u guys suggest a good combi of pod and plate?

My budget is about $60-$80 for the everything. First or second hand doesnt matter to me. :)

Did a small scale search, realised that slik propod and Manfrottos are highly recommended. But im pretty blinded by the model no. of the Manfrottos..

Hope to get some comments from our kind CS members. :lovegrin:

Thanks!

Wryer said:
hi all!

can some nice people recommend me a cheap and no-frills monopod? I intend to use it for normal streetshooting and macro photography. I don't mind a monopod with a built-in plate too..if not, can u guys suggest a good combi of pod and plate?

My budget is about $60-$80 for the everything. First or second hand doesnt matter to me. :)

Did a small scale search, realised that slik propod and Manfrottos are highly recommended. But im pretty blinded by the model no. of the Manfrottos..

Hope to get some comments from our kind CS members. :lovegrin:

Thanks!

I'm using a manfrotto 679B with the quick-release swivel tilt head. About $90 for the monopod, $30 for the head. I guess its abit over your budget, but it is certainly worth the extra $30. One thing you have to look out for, is the max height, as it will affect your shooting position. (if it is too low, you may end up bending your back and it gets tiring)

hihi, thanks for the recommendation, but its really over my budget. Anyone with a cheaper alternative?

Nonetheless, thanks Cheesy. :)

Wryer said:
hihi, thanks for the recommendation, but its really over my budget. Anyone with a cheaper alternative?

Nonetheless, thanks Cheesy. :)

Slik e-z pod? Abit plasticky but suits your budget. Comes with quick release.
You can try it out at the cp tripod store.

I see...thanks!
Will take a look there, while i post a WTB thread in buy/sell

Thanks!

Hi Wryer,

First did you go down to Cathay Photo or other camera shops to have a look? CP have a lot lot of tripods and monos for your viewing pleasure.

If you have already done that. Ok let's move on. You are thinking of street shooting, well a mono maybe useful but not for macro. There is never a tripod or mono that is usually 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 functions.

Macro as you know looking @ close-up details. If you use a mono, I am pretty sure there will be a certain minor movements which will make your photos blurr.

I still think a tripod is a little more useful. Any recommendation? Well as I said earlier, go down have a look again if you have already done that. Nothing but a good sturdy tripod will help you take good photos. Don't forget you can use it in the night as well for night photography!

Your budget is very tight for a good tripod. Try secondhands shops around Peninsular but dun expect A++ conditions.

Have money : Manfrotto, Gitzo, Cullman, Slik.
Super tight budget : Independnet brands.........which I am not too sure myself.

Anyway for myself I am using a Manfrotto 055B with 141RC head. That cost me $350.00 but have not failed me once! It's a long term investment for me. Anyway go down as I mention and have a feel. From there you will know what to get.

:p Thanks and happy hunting :p

Pro Image said:
Hi Wryer,

First did you go down to Cathay Photo or other camera shops to have a look? CP have a lot lot of tripods and monos for your viewing pleasure.

If you have already done that. Ok let's move on. You are thinking of street shooting, well a mono maybe useful but not for macro. There is never a tripod or mono that is usually 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 functions.

Macro as you know looking @ close-up details. If you use a mono, I am pretty sure there will be a certain minor movements which will make your photos blurr.

I still think a tripod is a little more useful. Any recommendation? Well as I said earlier, go down have a look again if you have already done that. Nothing but a good sturdy tripod will help you take good photos. Don't forget you can use it in the night as well for night photography!

Your budget is very tight for a good tripod. Try secondhands shops around Peninsular but dun expect A++ conditions.

Have money : Manfrotto, Gitzo, Cullman, Slik.
Super tight budget : Independnet brands.........which I am not too sure myself.

Anyway for myself I am using a Manfrotto 055B with 141RC head. That cost me $350.00 but have not failed me once! It's a long term investment for me. Anyway go down as I mention and have a feel. From there you will know what to get.

:p Thanks and happy hunting :p

Hihi, thanks for the in depth post. Honestly, i have not gone down to CP to have a look, i would prefer to have some recommendations from folks here first and then choose from there. Can't imagine the sales guy's face if i want to check out 10 monos. Haha..

I already own a tripod, and i know find that tripods are space consuming and some angles are almost impossible for me to set up my tripod (think marsh garden, at the edge of the pond. :p ) That was why i wanted a monopod. :)

Thanks for the post dude! :)

I'm looking for a monopod too. Just came back from CP and spent about half an hour trying out all the tripods on display. The salesperson was quite nice about it and helpful too even though I did not buy right then. There's a nice little Slik model that's light and small and can be angled (not a ball head - just a swivel and lock). Its ging for $47 (he quoted) and I think its good for a small camera like my A70. Maybe you wanna check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.