Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Hi all,

My old 17-inch Dell monitor is about to give up the ghost, thus I am looking for a replacement monitor that will be used for general work (browsing, office work) as well as double up as an adequate monitor for doing photo work (with calibration). Widescreen or normal, doesn't really matter, prefer widescreen since that's the trend nowadays.

Saw the Samsung XL20 *drool* at the Samsung outlet in Funan which is an LED-backlit 20-incher (resolution 1900x1200) monitor and it was absolutely breath-taking with rich, deep and accurate colors but the price was like S$2700++. *faint*

Anyway, just want to find out from the collective members here if anyone knows of a monitor that has the following specs :-

a) At least 2 DVI inputs
b) At least 1 HMDI input
c) Between 20-22 inches (widescreen)

Would be great if the resolution/width is 1920x1080 @ 22-inch, but I suspect this mix is not available widely yet (only know of one Benq monitor coming out in Q3 with this mix).

Thanks!

Deep, rich colour usually are not accurate for photo editing. LOL! Sometimes, those folks at the shop boost up the saturation just to make people go drooling.

Anyway, I think I should be getting a promotion discount for saying these countless times. 22"?? Might as well go for the 24". These two has been my favourite and reasonably priced so far:

1. Samsung 245T - S$1035
2. Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP - S$959 (buy online now got promotion!)

Others like Eizo, Lacie, NEC, Apple Cinema Display are just way to pricey and simply a crime against humanity. LOL!

I dunno if there's any S-PVA or S-IPS type panel for 22". In fact I have not seen any at all. I think most of them are the crappy TN panels. Only good for playing fast action games due to low response times. For the 20", I have tested the new LG L2000CP. Its an S-IPS panel. Its good for photo editing due and calibration is pretty easy. Other than that, nothing really great to write home about because I have used the older model before (LG L2000C) and I see very little difference. Hope that helps.

Hi Hamzee

You said you have tested the new LG L2000CP, did you test it at the Funan showroom? Can you share a little more about your observations about this new LG model? By the way, is it still made in Korea, like the L2000C was.

:D

Hi Hamzee

You said you have tested the new LG L2000CP, did you test it at the Funan showroom? Can you share a little more about your observations about this new LG model? By the way, is it still made in Korea, like the L2000C was.

:D
I brought my whole PC to test it out. Keke. I happen to know one of the guys there so he let 'play' with it. Seriously, there's nothing really different from the previous model in terms of color fidelity, response times and picture quality. The only major difference is that the previous model uses an MVA panel while the newer one uses S-IPS. Other than that, you won't go wrong with either one. IIRC, the L2000C has dropped in price. Sorry but I dont remember the exact prices for both models. 600+ plus I think.

I brought my whole PC to test it out. Keke. I happen to know one of the guys there so he let 'play' with it. Seriously, there's nothing really different from the previous model in terms of color fidelity, response times and picture quality. The only major difference is that the previous model uses an MVA panel while the newer one uses S-IPS. Other than that, you won't go wrong with either one. IIRC, the L2000C has dropped in price. Sorry but I dont remember the exact prices for both models. 600+ plus I think.

Which shop/store did you go to? SLS or Funan?

i have been looking at the samsung 2493hm at vivocity just now. it's only $599 but use TN panel.

Whats the diff between TN panels and the S-PVA, S-IPS types? Sorry, not really been keeping up with the tech.

How would one be able to tell one type from the other?
And what are the common S-PVA, S-IPS LCD monitors out there?

Which shop/store did you go to? SLS or Funan?
SLS.

Whats the diff between TN panels and the S-PVA, S-IPS types? Sorry, not really been keeping up with the tech.

How would one be able to tell one type from the other?
And what are the common S-PVA, S-IPS LCD monitors out there?
You can read more about them here: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

In a nutshell, taken off from the website:
Summary of LCD Panel Technology

* S-IPS panels are generally considered the best all around panel type, but they are more expensive and very few are made.
* S-PVA/MVA panels offer better color reproduction and viewing angles than TN panels, have slightly worse response times than TN or S-IPS, offer the best contrast ratios, may suffer from color shifting or input lag and have higher availability than S-IPS panels.
* TN panels are very cheap with fast response times but have inferior color reproduction, contrast ratios and viewing angles. Only panel type currently available in 22" size.

You can check out some of the S-IPS type LCD panel here: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

Are there any other pva/ips 20 inchers available? I am also in the market for them.

Are there any other pva/ips 20 inchers available? I am also in the market for them.
There are not that many 20" S-IPS/PVA panels in the market for consumer use. Most of them are usually catered for colour critical use. The only ones that I know that uses those panels mentioned are (arranged by price, cheapest on top):

1. LG L2000CP
2. NEC 20WMGX2
3. Apple Cinema Display
4. Eizo
5. Lacie

Thank god I ordered my Dell 2408WFP during the price rebate. Now its back up to $1.3k. :eek: Was contemplating to get the Samsung 245T but since the Dell uses the same panel, what the heck. I am loving my new monitor. Easy to calibrate and there's a CF card reader on the left hand side which I think is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the list. I just checked dell's site, and its roughly $960 inclusive of gst and delivery, with the $340 discount which ends on 080808.

How much u got yours?

For those guys buying, if you're not in a rush, can consider waiting till the next Computer Fair, I got my Dell 2408 at $899 at the last show in June with 2 years extended warranty. Which comes out to 5 years, 'next business day' on-site warranty. :thumbsup:

For those guys buying, if you're not in a rush, can consider waiting till the next Computer Fair, I got my Dell 2408 at $899 at the last show in June with 2 years extended warranty. Which comes out to 5 years, 'next business day' on-site warranty. :thumbsup:
i believe next computer fair will match this price, which is very cheap with 5 yrs warrenty.

My ancient CRT "dieded" this morning and i needed a monitor badly!.

Called LG showroom at Funan but they said no stocks and will only get in this coming thursday.

Undeterred i looked around myself in Sim Lim Square.

Bought the LG L2000CP for cash S$588 at the 5th floor shop near the elevators.

Good deal. "pro" looking monitor in matte dark grey (black?), height adjustable, able to swivel. ;)

My ancient CRT "dieded" this morning and i needed a monitor badly!.

Called LG showroom at Funan but they said no stocks and will only get in this coming thursday.

Undeterred i looked around myself in Sim Lim Square.

Bought the LG L2000CP for cash S$588 at the 5th floor shop near the elevators.

Good deal. "pro" looking monitor in matte dark grey (black?), height adjustable, able to swivel. ;)
Enjoy the new view! Cheers!

HP has a new 22-inch LCD using PVA panel and a 24-inch LCD using S-IPS panel coming soon. Its on the HP Singapore website but no pricing as yet.

US pricing is US$449 for the 22-inch and $649 for the 24-inch.

If possible hold ur horses for the dell 2408wfp. The version A00 has a lot of problem, according to many reviews and complains online. The upcoming A01 is supposed to solve most of the issues. I'm using the 2408wfp A00, so far i did not detect those problems describe by pissed-off users elsewhere. I calibrated with I1D2, very nice...

If possible hold ur horses for the dell 2408wfp. The version A00 has a lot of problem, according to many reviews and complains online. The upcoming A01 is supposed to solve most of the issues. I'm using the 2408wfp A00, so far i did not detect those problems describe by pissed-off users elsewhere. I calibrated with I1D2, very nice...

Any idea when it'll be available?

srry to hijacK TS thread...but anyone has any ideas which brands LCD moniters offer S-IPS and are the best value for money? looking to get a 24" one :) thanx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.