Recommend me a walk-around lens for Canon 500D

rexter

Apr 26, 2009
Currently using Canon 500D with kit lens 18-55mm. Looking for a walk-around lens mainly for travelling. Please give me some recommendations from personal user experience. I'm contemplating between

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Or any lens which are similar to the above in terms of price and comparable features.

my 2 cents.... u need to first ponder:
- what do u find lacking in your 18-55mm?
- what kind of pictures do u normally shoot? would u need a fast lens? or just a greater focal length?
- if u r keeping this lens, and just need a longer focal range, perhaps consider Canon's EF-S55-250mm?
- if u want to have only 1 lens, & convenience is more important than tip-top quality and/or a fast lens, perhaps consider Canon's EF-S 18-200mm, pre-owned if $$ is a constraint

my 2 cents.... u need to first ponder:
- what do u find lacking in your 18-55mm?
- what kind of pictures do u normally shoot? would u need a fast lens? or just a greater focal length?
- if u r keeping this lens, and just need a longer focal range, perhaps consider Canon's EF-S55-250mm?
- if u want to have only 1 lens, & convenience is more important than tip-top quality and/or a fast lens, perhaps consider Canon's EF-S 18-200mm, pre-owned if $$ is a constraint

Don't really need a fast lens as my main subjects are usually immobile. I'm satisfied with the quality of my current 18-55mm lens, just that I need a little more range. Definitely not considering the 55-250mm because I don't like the idea of changing the lens often while shooting.

I got alot of mixed reviews that stated this kit lens is better or otherwise. Just wanna know how much the quality differs according to users who have used them before. :)

I got alot of mixed reviews that stated this kit lens is better or otherwise. Just wanna know how much the quality differs according to users who have used them before. :)

A consumer superzoom is a compromise between image quality and convenience in one package. The kit lens with a smaller zoom ratio shld do better than a 18-200. And of course comparing the IQ of a superzoom with a prime is even more unmeaningful. For me , they ain't that bad actually cause they serve their purpose. I used to go with a superzoom while travelling previously.

ryan

A consumer superzoom is a compromise between image quality and convenience in one package. The kit lens with a smaller zoom ratio shld do better than a 18-200. And of course comparing the IQ of a superzoom with a prime is even more unmeaningful. For me , they ain't that bad actually cause they serve their purpose. I used to go with a superzoom while travelling previously.

If you are comparing the Canon 18-200IS to prime or L, I would say that it's like comparing apple and orange. However if you are comparing it to the dual kit lens, IQ-wise I would say it is subjective.

Wrote something a while back comparing the three lenses -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4885448&postcount=28

There is a reason why I keep a crop for this superzoom, to me "The equipment is only as good as it's wielder". :)

Walkabout without experiencing hassle of changing lens and missed a special moment ---> canon 18-200 or tamron 18-270

If want to change lens: many different combo to choose depending on ur budget.

it all depends on the system you want.

for me rather then an all in one, would be the 55-250 IS + 50mm f/1.8 combo in addition to the 18-55mm.

That way, anything happens then at least have one spare lens. If i was using a weather resistant full frame canon camera, it would be the 28-300L + 50mm f/1.8 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
A good compromise (albeit a bit pricey) is the new 15-85mm IS. This lens has image quality close to (or matching) the legendary 17-55 F2.8 EFS but it is a slower lens (in terms of f-stop)

I'm currently leaning towards Canon 18-200mm after seeing the sample photos or 18-135mm as temporary lens for the upcoming YOG as I am still a student thus need a little more time to save for 18-200mm.
Eventually eliminate Sigma out after reading reviews that it's slow. 17-85mm which was part of my consideration do not have good reviews too.

I guess I am able to compromise a little on IQ for convenience.

I'm currently leaning towards Canon 18-200mm after seeing the sample photos or 18-135mm as temporary lens for the upcoming YOG as I am still a student thus need a little more time to save for 18-200mm.
Eventually eliminate Sigma out after reading reviews that it's slow. 17-85mm which was part of my consideration do not have good reviews too.

I guess I am able to compromise a little on IQ for convenience.

if you decided you can compromise on iQ then just get the lens which you are comfortable with the size and weight, how it feels attached to the camera body and how it feels in ur hands..

the zoom & focus rings.. etc etc..

go to one of the recommended shops and ask to see and try... beware of not getting conned into buying extra stuff..

That way, anything happens then at least have one spare lens. If i was using a weather resistant full frame canon camera, it would be the 28-300L + 50mm f/1.8 in a heartbeat.

Most FF users I know seldom use the 28-300L as their walkabout lens. Beside the weight and price, the reason why people uses a FF is simple...

A good compromise (albeit a bit pricey) is the new 15-85mm IS. This lens has image quality close to (or matching) the legendary 17-55 F2.8 EFS but it is a slower lens (in terms of f-stop)

especially if you need an equivalent of 24mm as 18-200 only goes as wide as 28.8mm equivalent.
The 15-85 should also be sharper than the 18-200 within its range.
Worthwhile considering if you don't need the long tele end.

Maybe I am odd, but I would recommend EF-S 10-22mm for walk-about and travelling.
This lens allow wide angle coverage to let you capture more.

Maybe I am odd, but I would recommend EF-S 10-22mm for walk-about and travelling.
This lens allow wide angle coverage to let you capture more.
No you are not...it all depends what kind of pictures you are happy with.

Most FF users I know seldom use the 28-300L as their walkabout lens. Beside the weight and price, the reason why people uses a FF is simple...
answered in the first line of my previous post.

it all depends on the system you want.

for me rather then an all in one, would be the 55-250 IS + 50mm f/1.8 combo in addition to the 18-55mm.

Last edited:
Rented a Canon 18-200mm few days ago, it does feel heavy and that's a deal breaker for me.

Rented a Canon 18-200mm few days ago, it does feel heavy and that's a deal breaker for me.

Compared to the 28-300L or my 70-200F2.8IS, the 18-200IS would be consider light... :bsmilie:

My advise, is to great a grip... to help with the "balance".