Recommend me a Travel lens : Pentax 18-135 or Tamron 18-200

samshio

Sep 6, 2010
Hi Pentax Experts,

Just pre-ordered a Pentax K-R with 35mm kit from emjay after reading all the reviews and recommendations on clubsnap.

I am a beginner with pentax and DSLRs, and I'll be going on a trip to USA soon. I would like to get a good travel lens, so that I do not need to switch lens so often.

So my question : Which would you recommend ? To get the Tamron 18-200mm lens which is available now, or wait for the Pentax 18-135mm lens coming soon ?

The pentax one will probably be ex right ? around $600 ?
But IQ should be better than Tamron ?

Thanks

Think you got an open question here where nobody can really answer or help you since 18-135mm is not avaliable anywhere yet.

I will suggest you to wait if you can. 18-135mm is an interesting kit lens to look at. I personally has placed order when I bought my K5. The reason why I want to try is because it has a DC ring motor. And the focal length looks ok to me even though I dont shoot with zoom. And of couse the SMC coating which I wanted.

Price of 18-135 also nobody know yet. So, guess. we can only WAIT.....

cheerss..

Thanks bro. BTW my K-r with 35mm is ready for collection tomorrow.

So I guess I will be the newest pentax owner. :)

Hi guys, anyone can recommend me an all in 1 lens?
Same as TS, for traveling purposes.

I read somewhere theres the DA 18-250 but I dont see it in the price list.
Is it discontinued?

Are Tamron 18-200 and 18-250 the only choices?
I understand the DA and Tamron 18-250 are the same thing?

Last edited:
Hi guys, anyone can recommend me an all in 1 lens?
Same as TS, for traveling purposes.

I read somewhere theres the DA 18-250 but I dont see it in the price list.
Is it discontinued?

Are Tamron 18-200 and 18-250 the only choices?
I understand the DA and Tamron 18-250 are the same thing?

imo, its better to have a solid fast zoom (i.e. 16-50 or 24-70) and use it well than to have a superzoom that is versatile but only so-so in performance across the entire focal range.

Hi Pentax Experts,

Just pre-ordered a Pentax K-R with 35mm kit from emjay after reading all the reviews and recommendations on clubsnap.

I am a beginner with pentax and DSLRs, and I'll be going on a trip to USA soon. I would like to get a good travel lens, so that I do not need to switch lens so often.

So my question : Which would you recommend ? To get the Tamron 18-200mm lens which is available now, or wait for the Pentax 18-135mm lens coming soon ?

Thanks

Which part of the US will you be going? Chicago? :)

I'm going traveling soon and I will probably only bring my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 lens. No need the telephoto, but that's just me. Some people might even travel with only 1-2 prime lenses!

Hi Pentax Experts,

Thanks

I was in a similar dilemma. I have travel plans at the end of the year.

Looking at it purely from a "zoom range" perspective, i suppose that it all depends on what your needs are and where you are travelling to...

As someone said earlier, the 18-135 aint out yet but i decided to get that instead of an 18-200 bec i reckon that it is sufficient zoom range for my upcoming trip. Having a 55-300mm probably influenced my decision too...

Having said that i was playing around with a Nikon user's 18-200 and i must say that it is extremely versatile.

imo, its better to have a solid fast zoom (i.e. 16-50 or 24-70) and use it well than to have a superzoom that is versatile but only so-so in performance across the entire focal range.

i also contemplated a sigma 17-70 and when you mentioned fast zoom i suppose that was a consideration as its an f2.8 wide open (didnt really know what that meant on practical terms until i picked up an FA 50 1.4 recently. fast, fast, fast!). However, decided that the focal range was not gonna be sufficient for my needs.

What you say may be true but its all a balance between IQ and versatility. Do you want the very best IQ and speed and run the risk of missing "The Shot" because you have to change lenses, and vice versa... no definite answers i suppose...

noob's 2 cents...

just curious (no offence anyone, i am noob with a 2nd Kx),

Just for discussion purposes, is a 50-200mm/f2.8 a better travel lens than say a 50-200/f3.5-5.6 considering it has the ability for more control over the aperture settings over its range?

Higher possible keeps when
- low lighting
- no tripod
- lower ISO, lower noise?

If you have both lens but can only bring one for travelling which one will you bring?
1) 50-200mm/ f2.8 or
2) 50-200mm/3.6-5.6

Sorry if asked stupid question, I only got my kx (2 kit lens & 50mm/f1.4) for 2 days only.

Also will want to buy a travel lens eventually...

Last edited:

Yup, I have the tammy 17-50, 70-200, da 50-135 n dal 70-300 lol. LBA :embrass:
But I dont wish to carry a bag with a couple lenses in it while overseas. Kinda troublesome lol.

just curious (no offence anyone, i am noob with a 2nd Kx), how come no one mentions about the f of the lens only the zoom?

Just for discussion purposes, is a 50-200mm/f2.8 a better travel lens than say a 50-200/f3.5-5.6 considering it has the ability for more control over the aperture settings over its range?

If you have both lens but can only bring one for travelling which one will you bring?
1) 50-200mm/ f2.8 or
2) 50-200mm/3.6-5.6

A 70-200 f2.8 (dont tink theres any 50-200?) should give better IQ but imo you need to consider the weight/size/versatility of the lens when you travel, if you dont mind, then any lens can be a travel lens.

So is the Tamron 18-250 a recommended choice for an all in 1 lens?

Last edited:
But I dont wish to carry a bag with a couple lenses in it while overseas. Kinda troublesome lol.

A 70-200 f2.8 (dont tink theres any 50-200?) should give better IQ but imo you need to consider the weight/size/versatility of the lens when you travel, if you dont mind, then any lens can be a travel lens.

you have these lenses and you still need a travel lens(an all-in-one lens as you said)? :what::what:

if i were you, i'll just bring the 17-50 and if space permits, the 50-135.

i'm going on holiday next month also and i'll only be carrying the 16-50 and the 50 f1.4.

you have these lenses and you still need a travel lens(an all-in-one lens as you said)? :what::what:

if i were you, i'll just bring the 17-50 and if space permits, the 50-135.

i'm going on holiday next month also and i'll only be carrying the 16-50 and the 50 f1.4.

:bsmilie: And I got the 8-16 too. :sweat:
LBA is bad. I agree the 17-50 is my most used range.
But honestly just looking around, thinking if I should sell my fisheye to fund it.
Cause Im goin overseas with my bro's kids, so ya :think: lol
Never tried any primes before tho, thats kinda embarrassing for a Pentax user I know haha.

Last edited:
The choice of lenses and brand is quite subjective as it is a compromise of focal length coverage, IQ and aperture speed, as well as cost of ownership.

In my opinion, if you are not looking for WR lens (since K-r is not WR) my choice would be DA 17-70 f4, a good balance between having a fast constant f4, excellent IQ, good coverage and the fast and quiet SDM. I think the new DA18-135 would make a good travel lens too except it is not known whether how good the IQ and DC motor work, but I favour the constant f4 of the DA17-70 over 18-135.

My current choice for my K-5 is a two lenses setup (instead of one), DA*16-50 and DA*50-135, work very well with my travel needs. Finally, the other extreme will be my wife choice for her k-x DA18-250 (unfortunately, this nice lens is now discontinued), she favor convenient of a single lens with wide coverage over fast and best IQ :)

I had always favour Pentax lenses over third party Tamron or Sigma, it is also the reason I choose Pentax over Nikon in the first place.

Last edited:
:bsmilie: And I got the 8-16 too. :sweat:
LBA is bad. I agree the 17-50 is my most used range.
But honestly just looking around, thinking if I should sell my fisheye to fund it.
Cause Im goin overseas with my bro's kids, so ya :think: lol
Never tried any primes before tho, thats kinda embarrassing for a Pentax user I know haha.

aiyo... then i can only conclude 1 thing: you are a rich man :sweat:

Pentax lenses tend to be better than the third party ones, perhaps in no small part due to the SMC coating. Confident that the 18-135 will be pretty good, the only limitation being the focal length. If you find yourself shooting >135mm then a superzoom may be better for you

Pentax lenses tend to be better than the third party ones, perhaps in no small part due to the SMC coating. Confident that the 18-135 will be pretty good, the only limitation being the focal length. If you find yourself shooting >135mm then a superzoom may be better for you

if shooting at > 135, then must invest in the DA*60-250 or DA*300 :lovegrin: :bsmilie:

My current choice for my K-5 is a two lenses setup (instead of one), DA*15-60 and DA*50-135, work very well with my travel needs. Finally, the other extreme will be my wife choice for her k-x DA18-250 (unfortunately, this nice lens is now discontinued), she favor convenient of a single lens with wide coverage over fast and best IQ :)

I had always favour Pentax lenses over third party Tamron or Sigma, it is also the reason I choose Pentax over Nikon in the first place.

New lens range? Supposed to be DA*16-50 lah . . .:devil: If that is a real lens range, I sure will be super happy.

just curious (no offence anyone, i am noob with a 2nd Kx),

Higher possible keeps when
- low lighting
- no tripod
- lower ISO, lower noise?

1) 50-200mm/ f2.8 or
2) 50-200mm/3.6-5.6

Sorry if asked stupid question, I only got my kx (2 kit lens & 50mm/f1.4) for 2 days only.

Also will want to buy a travel lens eventually...

here's a noob's own experience... yesterday i went down to watch Mettle Games at the F1 Pit Building. It was a cloudy day and i was using my DAL 55-300 to catch pics of Russ Swift doing stunts in Subarus. Part of the event was under the flyover so even less light. I used the camera on either P mode or TV mode. It was a cloudy day and noticed when i came back and downloaded my pics, plenty of it looked underexposed (also not sharp bec my handholding wasnt steady). For example, I had an angle with the opportunity to catch a picture of Russ' face in his side view mirror but it didn't come out clear at all.

I think the higher focal length dictated a faster speed for hand holding and therefore the exposure wasn't good. I suppose that if you have a F2.8 lens, this would allow you to take a shot at a larger aperture, higher speed and get a sharp picture with better exposure. Also the action shots would probably come out alot better.

On hindsight, if i was aware of these things i probably could have compensated by going to aperture priority mode and get a better shot, but beeing noob, i didnt have the presence of mind to do so. Also, so much happens so quickly and fiddling around with the various values may mean a shot is lost altogether.

So, yes, i would say that if you have the cash for it, go for an f2.8. Your hit rate probably is higher. But i reckon if you shooting mostly static things, then maybe not so important cos you got time to work around the smaller aperture values... 2 cents.

At that focal length, constant f2.8 is gonna cost u a bomb! :p

A bit abusing hindsight but you might be better of in TAV or M mode and bump up the ISO accordingly.