Recommend me a mirrorless camera

thegamer1907

Jan 31, 2014
Singapore
Pretty new to photography, been using canon 450d and 400d for awhile but I feel like I want something more compact while still giving good photo quality.
As I am not familiar with mirrorless systems, need some recommendations.
I am planning to buy from second hand market and my budget is around 400$
Here are what I am looking for:
Touchscreen (preferred)
Good kit lens (well, preferably good kit lens so I don't need to upgrade)
Sharp photos
Preferably able to take portraits with pretty good bokeh effect like with the canon 50mm f1.8
I mainly take portraits, macros and toy photography

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Maybe you can try the Nex 5r/5t. The kit lens should be the 16-50mm power zoom lens which makes the entire package very compact. About $550 for used sets? http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1365939

The Sony 16MP sensor is amazing so you definitely would be able to squeeze a lot out of the RAW images. Huge fan of the Sony sensors.

For the bokeh, maybe you can consider the Sony e-mount 50mm f1.8 lens. It comes with in-lens stabilisation and can be found for a decent price. However for the camera+kit lens and the 50mm, it will probably come up to $900?

You may be able to get the older m43 models too. Those may come in cheaper but I am not very well versed with m43.

Thank you for the reply, I went to courts to try the Sony nex and Samsung nx cameras. I am pretty much leaning toward the Samsung nx cameras but I am wondering how do Samsung mirroless cameras compare to the rest?

Hmm. Not too good with Samsung too but I have read somewhere that their lenses may be slightly better than Sony's? Dont quote me on this though.

Reviews of their cameras are pretty good too. Nonetheless I gave Sony a shot with the Nex 6 and am very satisfied with it. Will I try Sony in the future? Probably. Will I try Samsung in the future? Highly possible, just to see how they compare to Sony.

Oh there may not be a large resale market for Samsung so finding used lens or selling off your gear may not be as easy.

For mirrorless, my Votes go to sony nex , and Fuji x series...

Strongly agree! But maybe Fuji X series would be out of the TS' budget. Would love to try Fuji some day soon.

hmm. it seems my budget would only allow me to get a secon hand sony Nex 5 or 5n or samsung nx1000 / nx210 which are all without touchscreen.
may i ask, is the nex 5/5n still comparable to 5r/5t? also would like to know more about how it compares to the samsung offering if anyone is more familair with them..

Generally, samsung is fine, but they did have quality issues in their cameras and lenses, I'm not sure if that has been rectified, you could look it up more. And as richiemccaw1 has said, the resale market for samsung cameras is very small, it may be difficult to get rid of in future.

i have decided to get a used sony nex 5 at sub $300 price. main thing that draws me is the magnesium body.
it also seems that the kit lens 18-55mm is pretty good for my usage.
will be getting the cam this weekend. hope i made a good choice

for older nex model.. i would at least go for 5N..

Pretty new to photography, been using canon 450d and 400d for awhile but I feel like I want something more compact while still giving good photo quality.
As I am not familiar with mirrorless systems, need some recommendations.
I am planning to buy from second hand market and my budget is around 400$
Here are what I am looking for:
Touchscreen (preferred)
Good kit lens (well, preferably good kit lens so I don't need to upgrade)
Sharp photos
Preferably able to take portraits with pretty good bokeh effect like with the canon 50mm f1.8
I mainly take portraits, macros and toy photography

Thanks in advance! :)

Looking at the criteria that you have listed. I really don't think an interchangeable lens camera is what you are looking for. You want a camera with a good kit lens so you don't have to upgrade... which mean, you don't want to change lens. So why do you want to look for an interchangeable lens camera?

From what I see, you needed the RX100mkII, or even the Fujifilm X100S. These are incredible camera (the latter is an APS-C sensor sized camera).

If you die die must have an interchangeable lens camera. I would suggest a camera that have similar user interface as your old Canon 450D and 400D. And that would be the Canon 100D - a smaller camera as compared to the 400D and 450D... and can be as small or smaller than some of the mirrorless interchangeable lens camera system.

The Canon 100D had great image quality, and it came with a very good kit lens in the form of 18-55mm or you could even go for the 18-135 or 18-200mm lens. Since you already have been using the 450D and 400D, I would believe that you would already have the lenses with you so you don't have to buy anymore lenses, just the body which is gonna save you more money.

So instead of jumping right into other camera systems like the Sony NEX, or Olympus or any other mirrorless system, go for something that you are familiar with so that the learning curve is lesser and you can save more money on lenses.

So I vote for the Canon EOS 100D.