Recommend me a GorillaPod for my 550D

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
I know Jody is the pioneer for GorillaPod and I believe like all pioneers sell their products at premium price.
The heaviest setup i have is 70-200mm f4 IS + 550D + 430EX II

Is there an alternative affordable but decent GorillaPod available at Funan Shops?

Budget less than 60

kryxique

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore - West
I have been using the Spider Pod from Korean camera accessory brand Horusbennu on gmarket.com.sg.

Camera/Camcorder - HorusBennu SM-829 Big Spider-Pod ◆mini Tripod◆ for ...

Its clearly not the real Jody thing, and comes in a bashed up box due to cheap shipping, but for 26 SGD (incl. shipping) it holds up to a 4kg set up absolutely fine. The legs are a little stiffer and harder to straighten after curling up, but its okay for the price i guess. Can mount on a ballhead and it becomes a pretty fantastic travel tripod as well :)

You can read more reviews on the product page itself, personally i find it pretty great for 26 bucks. Shipping takes a long 2 weeks though, just a heads up.

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
I have been using the Spider Pod from Korean camera accessory brand Horusbennu on gmarket.com.sg.

Camera/Camcorder - HorusBennu SM-829 Big Spider-Pod ◆mini Tripod◆ for ...

Its clearly not the real Jody thing, and comes in a bashed up box due to cheap shipping, but for 26 SGD (incl. shipping) it holds up to a 4kg set up absolutely fine. The legs are a little stiffer and harder to straighten after curling up, but its okay for the price i guess. Can mount on a ballhead and it becomes a pretty fantastic travel tripod as well :)

You can read more reviews on the product page itself, personally i find it pretty great for 26 bucks. Shipping takes a long 2 weeks though, just a heads up.
you said that compared to the joby, its stiffer. isnt it a good thing? thank you for yr writeup:)

kryxique

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore - West
you said that compared to the joby, its stiffer. isnt it a good thing? thank you for yr writeup:)
Well its good because it clings strongly to railings, tree branches and stuff, and thats great! But it takes some time and effort to bend it back into a straight tripod, especially for this size. For the smaller ones i guess you can chuck it into your bag in whatever shape it is but this largest size needs to be carried like a regular tripod on bags, so it takes some time to straighten it out and put it back onto your bag's tripod holder.

but yea, personally i like the fact that its less likely to give way. just needs more patience to work. :D

kryxique

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore - West
Oh by the way, the real Jody Gorillapod is going to be on lightning deal on amazon.com (US) soon, you can KIV, just letting you know :)

tecnica

Dec 26, 2004
Anyway guys the brand is called joby.

I got the slr zoom, support my 7D just fine. Try coupling with my 70-200L f4 IS, no problem too.

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
Oh by the way, the real Jody Gorillapod is going to be on lightning deal on amazon.com (US) soon, you can KIV, just letting you know :)
thanks,
It is listed at $27.16 from $54.95.
To me it is already lightening deal.

upodate: I bought HorusBennu SM-816 (med) one at $17.50. Really good deal. Reviews are positive and i dont see any diff from joby. its cheap so i can experiment if it suits my photography style.

Last edited:

kryxique

Oct 12, 2011
Singapore - West
Enjoy man. After i bought my large one, one of my buddies got the medium. He could suspend his Canon 60D with attached 24-105 f/4 on a railing. Should be no problem at all.

And totally agreed, its just about cheap enough to be just a fun little experiment.

daniel00

Apr 1, 2011

Camera/Camcorder - HorusBennu SM-829 Big Spider-Pod â—†mini Tripodâ—† for ...

thanks for the link..:thumbsup: