Recommend me a Desktop PC - Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

azul123

Dec 4, 2004
Eastern Bloc
Currently using a notebook (HP dv4-1034TX) but I seldom or almost never bring this out since it is heavy, when I travel I bring along Netbook.

So, now I am thinking of getting a Desktop PC, already got an 29" LCD/TV free from a 47"LCD TV purchase. This 29" LCD/TV has HDMI connector so I am thinking buying a Desktop PC minus the screen.

What would be a good Desktop PC? can help recommend one?

../azul123

What would be the main uses for the Desktop?

Windows desktop are mostly for gamers..
If you want a desktop for editing and stuff, get a MAC..

If you're using the Windows desktop for editing and stuff, I think most notebook make not much of a diff.
Not sure how others think but these are my thoughts. ;)

Currently using a notebook (HP dv4-1034TX) but I seldom or almost never bring this out since it is heavy, when I travel I bring along Netbook.

So, now I am thinking of getting a Desktop PC, already got an 29" LCD/TV free from a 47"LCD TV purchase. This 29" LCD/TV has HDMI connector so I am thinking buying a Desktop PC minus the screen.

What would be a good Desktop PC? can help recommend one?

../azul123

You can try getting one of those desktops that are on sale during Courts/BestDenki/H.N. warehouse sale, etc...

For normal web-browsing, photo-editing, etc, the current generation of processors are plenty. No real need to get the latest/fastest.
Probably 2GB of RAM and above, especially so if running Win Vista
Definitely need a HDMI out from the PC. Make sure it's got that, or else you'll have to purchase video card with HDMI out.

forgot to ask what your budget is....! :)
If you normally process lots of images, and especially so if you handle large file sizes (RAW, JPEG L-Fine, etc), might be worthwhile to spend a bit more to get faster CPU, more RAM, and larger HDD :)

If you're using the Windows desktop for editing and stuff, I think most notebook make not much of a diff.

The artist who sits next to me, works on a PC... he edits and stuff all day long.

the industry is still on PCs when it comes to graphics and color, contrary to what the general public might think.
Most printer RIPs and color management suites are solely PC based and the mac versions are always running into problems (my personal experience)

If you're going to do heavy editing on the com, do get a i7 cpu with either 6 or 12gb ram, and a good 3D graphics card cuz the current versions of photoshop utilizes quite a bit of graphic card cpu for image rendering.
windows 7 works wonders too.

Get a PC that has following specs:
CPU- Core2 Quad 2.66MHz or faster
Graphic card - NVIDIA GTS260 to GTX285 series w 512M to 1GB DDR3 RAM. Chose one that has HDMI output connection since you want to connect to your LCD TV
RAM- 4GB DDR2 or DDR3 1066MHz
HDD - 1TB since you want to edit photos
PSU - 500 ~600W
OS- Window Vista Home Premium 64 bits if you wish to fully utilize 4GB RAM or above. Believe me, Photoshop just gobble up RAM!!

Mac vs PC, Apple Vs Microsoft, Canon Vs Nikon... here we go again.. haha

We need to know what's your budget and what will it be used for before we can do the recommedations.

Strange....I use Vista for all my editing and games. Don't feel that it's any slower then a Mac leh. Photoshop just flies. Sometimes got no time to go make coffee as things happen too fast.

TS, Whats the budget?

How about the following? Let me borrow the format from FFForever.

CPU- Core2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard - Intel P45 chipset
Graphic card - NVIDIA GTS250 or ATI HD4830 or above
RAM- 8GB DDR2
HDD - As much as you require
PSU - 500W or above.
OS- 64bit Vista or Windows 7

The artist who sits next to me, works on a PC... he edits and stuff all day long.

Er, I know there are some who use PC but quite a handful of them uses Mac..

Mac vs PC, Apple Vs Microsoft, Canon Vs Nikon... here we go again.. haha

We need to know what's your budget and what will it be used for before we can do the recommedations.

Yup. With a budget stated, it's easier to narrow down the ones we can recommend. ;)

if you want more bang for your buck, get a PC! haha...
i fyou want even more bang for your buck, build it yourself. muahaha...
Pls PM me if you do then i can transmit a new BBB virus to you. muahahahaha...

Why not to get a MAC:
1. Dont pay for things you dont need. eg. Superior design, monitor(iMAC only), better OS.
2. You will end up getting a MacBook to replace your laptop
3. PC users can download FREE viruses!!:bsmilie:

the industry is still on PCs when it comes to graphics and color, contrary to what the general public might think.
Most printer RIPs and color management suites are solely PC based and the mac versions are always running into problems (my personal experience)

If you're going to do heavy editing on the com, do get a i7 cpu with either 6 or 12gb ram, and a good 3D graphics card cuz the current versions of photoshop utilizes quite a bit of graphic card cpu for image rendering.
windows 7 works wonders too.
Unfortunately there's a stupid bug involving colour management if you use 3D acceleration with multiple monitors.

most important, yr monitor must be calibrated.........;)

Thanks guys, for the replies... this is not meant to be one platform vs another. I stated Windows not bcos I am oppose to Mac, just that I have plenty of apps on Windows and more fimiliar with it also.

Based on the replies so far I have researched a bit and didn't know there is new processor i7 already (a bit outdated I am), shall check further which full system in the market I could buy without a screen.

../azul123

haha.. no need i7 la... quad core is good enuff. if youre getting a full system try and get one without a gfx and buy the gfx card yourself. the ones they offer normally suck ass and their way overpriced.

Unfortunately there's a stupid bug involving colour management if you use 3D acceleration with multiple monitors.
which bug? everything is fine so far here with gtx295 + 2 monitors.

Anyone using Dell XPS Desktop? looks like this one has an i7 Processor but come with "free screen" which is exactly I don't need.

../azul123

the xps is a good buy. you can call them up to remove the monitor from the deal if you do not want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.