Recommend me a compact camera. As a Gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eeewwwqqq

Jul 6, 2009
Not too exp. For a little gurl, below 300 budget?

What's the best bet?

ok she's going for a holiday.
she';s about 20yo.
just for taking pics with her friends and such.
Casual user

just a bd gift. haha

no, i meant purpose of gift. :bsmilie:

i was thinking purpose of camera also.. haha.

and 20 is little?? wow.. i guess i'm slightly more than little.

hmm.
i wan something that is best bang for bucks for the quality of foto produced.

Any good recommendations?

just a bd gift. haha

well, i won't know how she is, but here are some current models worth looking at , should be in your budget:

1) canon a1100is
2) canon a480
3) panny fs42
4) panny lz10
5) sony dsc-s950
6) sony dsc-s930

hmm.
i wan something that is best bang for bucks for the quality of foto produced.

Any good recommendations?

the P&S with slightly larger sensor sizes that would stand out in terms of image quality.. would cost more than $300.

i think you can look at the canon a1100is though. i mean, there's IS.

is Panasonic LZ 10 a good choice? I dun mind paying alittle more for better one though.

Hi! :bigeyes:

I'm noob to photography. Probably rank last person to take picture for groupies.. hey, i don't even take decent camera phone pictures!! haha...
Anyway, Singapore is flooded with heaps of camera shops.

Can anyone recommend me a friendly place to get a PnS? which PnS to get? I don't mind spending a little more if the camera allows me to learn a bit and improve.. no lens removing cameras.. i'm a little confused by all the numbers.. let me gather some knowledge first.

Is those computer fair a good place to get cameras? Although young, they kind of scares me off..

Anyone can help? Thanks! :D

Hi! :bigeyes:

I'm noob to photography. Probably rank last person to take picture for groupies.. hey, i don't even take decent camera phone pictures!! haha...
Anyway, Singapore is flooded with heaps of camera shops.

Can anyone recommend me a friendly place to get a PnS? which PnS to get? I don't mind spending a little more if the camera allows me to learn a bit and improve.. no lens removing cameras.. i'm a little confused by all the numbers.. let me gather some knowledge first.

Is those computer fair a good place to get cameras? Although young, they kind of scares me off..

Anyone can help? Thanks! :D

do a search in cosumer or price guide thread, u shld be able to find out more.

cam in IT fair normally is the retail price but come wif load of freebies....

well, i think u shld find out wat cam u interested in and slowly narrow it down like checkin price, come wif simi freebies...etc

A1100IS takes pretty high IQ pictures, due to the the newer D!GIC 4 processor, also found in the more expensive IXUS series, but one thing to note, the AF speed is not the fastest in it's class

using it for close to 7 months now:

pros
- D!GIC 4 processor > good IQ(compared to other cameras in this class)
- flash adequate
- uses AA batteries(good for travelling)
- the smallest A-series ever made(almost as slim as the sexy IXUS)
- very beginner-friendly
- even though the body is plastic, it still feels pretty solid
- 3cm macro
- decent battery life (close to 500 shots with 2100 Ni-MH batteries with flash on around 25% of the time, alkalines around 200+, YMMV)

cons
- AF slower than competitions
- no manual modes(Av, Tv priorites etc.)

for me the deal breaker was the power department. for a compact P&S I felt AA-source was the more pragmatic approach, as I would not be crippled by buying the expensive the proprietatory rechargeables, nor lugging around a battery charger when a trip is short.

For around $50-80 more you can consider the IXUS 100IS, uses the same D!GIC 4 processor, slimmer, sexier, but uses proprietatory batteries

hope it helps ;)

I would take it that if she at 20 is still not taking pictures with her handphones, then she might be wanting it as an accessory? If so, then go for those with glitzy colours and slim-line models... eg. Sony or Lumix.

You can refer to the list:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

if i prefer to have those litium battery those slimmer models with a decent shot, which one is recommended?

ixus 95 or panny fs42~~

A1100IS takes pretty high IQ pictures, due to the the newer D!GIC 4 processor, also found in the more expensive IXUS series, but one thing to note, the AF speed is not the fastest in it's class

using it for close to 7 months now:

pros
- D!GIC 4 processor > good IQ(compared to other cameras in this class)
- flash adequate
- uses AA batteries(good for travelling)
- the smallest A-series ever made(almost as slim as the sexy IXUS)
- very beginner-friendly
- even though the body is plastic, it still feels pretty solid
- 3cm macro
- decent battery life (close to 500 shots with 2100 Ni-MH batteries with flash on around 25% of the time, alkalines around 200+, YMMV)

cons
- AF slower than competitions
- no manual modes(Av, Tv priorites etc.)

for me the deal breaker was the power department. for a compact P&S I felt AA-source was the more pragmatic approach, as I would not be crippled by buying the expensive the proprietatory rechargeables, nor lugging around a battery charger when a trip is short.

For around $50-80 more you can consider the IXUS 100IS, uses the same D!GIC 4 processor, slimmer, sexier, but uses proprietatory batteries

hope it helps ;)

I agree on the battery. I went for a Europe back pack tour, found that AA battery cameras are the best. It convienent when you out of batt, cos once you out from hotel, the camera is on its own for power source. :thumbsup: I think it more practical when on tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.