recommend lightbox & loupe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Feb 14, 2003
sg
what is a good lightbox and loupe combination for viewing slides and negatives? saw a $73 lightbox and $31 10x peak loupe at cathay photo. lightbox seems a lil dim though.

any recommendations?

Lightbox : Good ones are expensive ... I have a mid-range one (cost me about $60, IIRC), and it's just "ok" ... the lamps are not color-corrected, but it's not an issue for me because the effects will be different whether projecting the slides or scanning them.

One point about the lightbox ... they're dimmer if they run on batteries. Plug in a power supply and it'll be a bit brighter. My power adapter is slightly higher in voltage than what my lightbox asks for, and it's considerably brighter, with no ill effects after 2 years. Got my lightbox from John 3:16.

Loupe : Having owned 3 loupes, I'd say get a good one. Started with a $20 piece of plastic crap, which gave me a headache within 10 slides, then a $35 one which was better but still a bit of a strain at times, then found one for $120 which is miles ahead of the rest.

The first one was made by a German company called Kaiser, the second one is from Nikon, and the last one is a Cabin 4X with glass elements which I bought from Cathay. I was eyeing the Rodenstock at $185, had a look, it was ok, started looking at the $290 Rodenstock 6X, much nicer, and saw this by the side, asked for a look, and was blown away by the quality and price.

Why do you need 10x ? To see the whole slide, all you need is a good 4X ... and unless you pay megabucks, I'd almost guarantee that the $31 10x will help you add a few degrees to your spec prescription if you're wearing glasses.

Bring a few favorite slides, go to Cathay, and spend some time there with all the loupes they have to offer in your price range. Then buy the Cabin ;p

Originally posted by ericp
Lightbox : Good ones are expensive ... I have a mid-range one (cost me about $60, IIRC), and it's just "ok" ... the lamps are not color-corrected, but it's not an issue for me because the effects will be different whether projecting the slides or scanning them.

One point about the lightbox ... they're dimmer if they run on batteries. Plug in a power supply and it'll be a bit brighter. My power adapter is slightly higher in voltage than what my lightbox asks for, and it's considerably brighter, with no ill effects after 2 years. Got my lightbox from John 3:16.

Loupe : Having owned 3 loupes, I'd say get a good one. Started with a $20 piece of plastic crap, which gave me a headache within 10 slides, then a $35 one which was better but still a bit of a strain at times, then found one for $120 which is miles ahead of the rest.

The first one was made by a German company called Kaiser, the second one is from Nikon, and the last one is a Cabin 4X with glass elements which I bought from Cathay. I was eyeing the Rodenstock at $185, had a look, it was ok, started looking at the $290 Rodenstock 6X, much nicer, and saw this by the side, asked for a look, and was blown away by the quality and price.

Why do you need 10x ? To see the whole slide, all you need is a good 4X ... and unless you pay megabucks, I'd almost guarantee that the $31 10x will help you add a few degrees to your spec prescription if you're wearing glasses.

Bring a few favorite slides, go to Cathay, and spend some time there with all the loupes they have to offer in your price range. Then buy the Cabin ;p

Not sure if they still have the promo, if they do, you could have bought a Rodenstock 4x + Cabin Lightpanel for $190. :)

Regards
CK

At that point in time they did still have the promotion (that's what drew me in), but after looking through both loupes, it was an easy decision.

With my relatively inexperienced eyes (not much of a technical detail person, just enjoy what I see in front of me), the Cabin loupe gave almost as bright an image as the 6X Rodenstock, which costs 2.5 times as much.

In contrast, the 4X Rodenstock did not seem to be worth the extra expense, even with the "free" light panel (which is a bit too small ... if I wanted to view slides in the field, I'd use a $5 slide viewer :) ... and at home, I have the lightbox). I'd even go as far as to say that even if they both cost the same, I would have gone for the Cabin.

Is this Cabin loupe so good? What is the price?

Got to go down sometime and take a look again.

Last friday I went down to CP and the promotion of Rodenstock is no more. Both are 4x, if the quality is really so good, can be a good alternative.

I have a 4x and 10 x loupe. The 4x is very useful, I use it 90% of the time. In contrast, the 10x is a pain to use. My eye will ache if I stare into it continuously for more than 5 min. However, I find both my loupes having slight focusing problem when I view my slides with thick plastic mount. Is there any 4x loupe around that allow you to adjust the focus. :dunno:

Then how is the Rodenstock compared to this Cabin loupe?

Any1 kindly share more user experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.