Recommend lens upgrade from 18-55mm

chunkie

Sep 1, 2011
I have been using a canon 500d with the standard 18-55mm for quite some time and intend to upgrade the lens as the zoom range is too limiting. Will generally be using it on travels to shoot architecture and landscapes scenery.

I'm looking to get a versatile and lightweight zoom lens, preferably less than 500g. Budget under 1k or thereabout. It'll be a bonus if it's f/2.8 with a focal length below 18mm.

Which lens will suit my requirement? What focal length and aperture would u recommend? Is Canon or third party better?

Many thanks in advance!

There aren't much options for super zoom lens...18-200/250/270 just pick one. If you have the $, go Canon, else Tamron/Sigma will do. But if you are willing to change lens on the go, 55-250 does it quite well...

tokina 11-16 f2.8? around 500g, around 800$ i think

Used 17-55mm. 1.1-1.3k :)

Used 17-55mm. 1.1-1.3k :)

Ts say 55mm too limiting already.

Imo just go for the 18-200 IS or tamron 18-270.

And ts, there will not be a lens with megazoom range and f2.8, even if there is, it will burst your budget by many many times.

And ts, there will not be a lens with megazoom range and f2.8, even if there is, it will burst your budget by many many times.
not forgetting the size of lens will not be anything smaller than 70-200f2.8.

I prefer to carry an all-in-one. And shall stick to f3.5 18mm onwards.

Have anyone tried the 18-135mm IS? Will canon's IQ fare better as compared to Tamron/Sigma?

Don't really fancy the 18-200 range right now as they're about a kg or more heavier..

Have anyone tried the 18-135mm IS? Will canon's IQ fare better as compared to Tamron/Sigma?

Don't really fancy the 18-200 range right now as they're about a kg or more heavier..

Unless you pixel pick, I don't think you will find much difference in term of IQ of comparable lenses from the Canon arsenal to Tamron and Sigma.

And, yes, 18-135mm is a pretty nice lens to use. Depending on what is your actual purpose and zoom range of the lens, I would also recommend that you look at 15-85mm lens. This lens is quite costly though (slightly more than S$1k if buy new)... and it covered the most used range for alot of photographers.

Another lens that produce decent IQ was Sigma's 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS HSM, this lens can be have for S$6XX and is pretty small and light weigh. It also had an excellent OS system that can easily match the Canon's counterpart.

Last edited:
tecnica said:

My bad. I missed the line on zoom. Yes, the 18-200mm is a good choice all round lens :)

Woah, you got handle those lenses before? 1Kg heavier is like comparing the 18-200 to 70-200 f2.8 leh.

Suggest you go have a hands on first before making a decision.

Actually since you mentioned Architecture and Landscapes, I would recommend the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.
Ultra-wide angle - essential for your choice of expansive subject types.

tecnica said:
Woah, you got handle those lenses before? 1Kg heavier is like comparing the 18-200 to 70-200 f2.8 leh.

Suggest you go have a hands on first before making a decision.

Ah yes. The 18-200mm is 600+g, the 70-200 f2.8 is about 1.5kg :)

Actually,

18-200mm lens is 595g
18-135mm lens is 455g
18-55mm lens is 200g

So if u can handle 18-135mm lens and find that it is okay, 18-200mm lens is actually not that much heavier (140g heavier). And if you actually do not need that much range, you might go for the 15-85mm lens which was 575g in weigh (120g heavier).

i feel that the 18-200 u should get the canon de, for i bought the 18-200 sigma. and at times i feel the image quality sucks.. and i am thinking of getting the 17-50 f2.8 tamron

How about the tamron 18-270mm? If you want to keep it low cost, you can get the older version. I think if you want a superzoom, might as well go all the way as i feel the IQ wise is similar.

On a side note, you can reconsider your options and see if you want to get the 55-250mm IS. It is way cheaper and you can carry light if you do not need the range. The draw back is lens changing and the versatility.

titus1984 said:
How about the tamron 18-270mm? If you want to keep it low cost, you can get the older version. I think if you want a superzoom, might as well go all the way as i feel the IQ wise is similar.

On a side note, you can reconsider your options and see if you want to get the 55-250mm IS. It is way cheaper and you can carry light if you do not need the range. The draw back is lens changing and the versatility.

The newer tamron 18-270 VC PZD, although more expensive, is a very good lens. IQ is very good from what I have seen.

daredevil123 said:
The newer tamron 18-270 VC PZD, although more expensive, is a very good lens. IQ is very good from what I have seen.

Price of grey set starts to drop like waterfall, now only $800+. If u can sacrifice the 3 yr warranty, it's worth the purchase.

I am a user of canon 18-200, so far been good. However I might recommend you to consider between this and tamron's 18-270 (newer version). Tamron's has newer technology, been given good reviews for its class of lenses. I have not used Tamron's before but it may be worth while to compare it with canon's 18-200.

Also I seem to have read it somewhere that despite its megazoom Tamron's size is pretty compact. Personally I use 500D with battery grip to better balance the weight. The body itself is quite small and light so to some people it feels out of balance with lenses that are heavier than say the 18-55 kit lenses.

I have been using a canon 500d with the standard 18-55mm for quite some time and intend to upgrade the lens as the zoom range is too limiting. Will generally be using it on travels to shoot architecture and landscapes scenery.

I'm looking to get a versatile and lightweight zoom lens, preferably less than 500g. Budget under 1k or thereabout. It'll be a bonus if it's f/2.8 with a focal length below 18mm.

Which lens will suit my requirement? What focal length and aperture would u recommend? Is Canon or third party better?

Many thanks in advance!

Bring along your camera to the shop and test it out the range that you want to upgrade.