Recommend Lens for USS

Dark Matter

Jul 22, 2008
What will be the lens to use when I will be spending a day at the Universal Studio Singapore with my family.
I am thinking about a "fast" lens like f2.8 min, throghout the entire zoom. Spot on 70-200 f2.8 but that is too big to be a walk around lens and it is a FX format.

Any bro here can give some pointer.

P.S. Using D90. Considering renting lens for the day.

probably a standard zoom like Nikkor 17-55/2.8 DX or Tamron 17-50/2.8

But it's daylight and you don't really need the fast lens. Don't you have the 18-105 kit?

i've been there, from what i saw there, i would reccomend 1 walkaround lens, medium range is enough, if you want to stay until night to get nightshot, i would reccomend to bring 1 wider fast lens and tripod
i'm not nikon user, but if i come back there, i will bring my 100mm prime and UWA lens 10-22 plus my cheap and excellent 50mm prime

Use your kit lens. It's bright daylight, and in most cases you will want to close down the aperture to give a deep DOF. So no point to get f/2.8

Thanks bros for the fast respone.

Sounds like a kit lens will do, yes I am having the 18-105 kit lens and a 50mm prime.
My concern is will f5.6 @ 105mm be fast enough to get a clear/sharp shots on the rollercoaster or some fast moving play.

Sounds like a kit lens will do, yes I am having the 18-105 kit lens and a 50mm prime.
My concern is will f5.6 @ 105mm be fast enough to get a clear/sharp shots on the rollercoaster or some fast moving play.
if in bright daylight, you'll probably still be metering speeds of 1/500 and above. At the most pump up the ISO a little, but I doubt you'll need to go beyond ISO400 :)

don't underestimate the brightness of the sun! :)

Then I can save the money and use the lens I have got on hand will do.:)

other than a general walkabout lens like the 18-105, you might want to consider having a uwa like a 10-24.

sorry, if you are taking family snapshots, any lens will do.

Yes, normal angle, or wide angle will do.

Anyway you're not allowed to bring your DSLR or bags on the roller coaster for safety reasons. Have to put in the shelves at the boarding area. Only way to get snapshots is to use a PnS, if you intend to ride together as a family. Else get your family to ride the roller coaster, and you can take pictures for them from outside the fence.

Think most of the time I will not be in the ride so can take shots from outside, thats how my initial intention of using a 200mm min. Of course family snap shots also will be taken. Not to forgot the scenary in the theme park.

So will it be better to bring a UWA along or a zoom lens?

I brought a 12-24 F4 and a 55-200VR. Majority of shots were taken with 12-24.

Maybe I stick with a UWA and my 18-105 kit lens. Are there better combination?

bring a PnS and spend more time with family rather then time fiddling with dslr settings. Unless of course you know what shots you want to take with dslr beforehand and you have plenty of time and an understanding family who will wait for you to tweak the DSLR just nice for the next shot. :)

seeing the performance of today compact cameras not to mention camera phones...pretty good.

Last edited:
Maybe I stick with a UWA and my 18-105 kit lens. Are there better combination?

UWA, 18-105, and tripod.
Didn't bring tripod in before but did see a few people brought in medium to small size tripod.

Honestly speaking, if you are going there for the rides, anything larger than a pns will be quite troublesome as mentioned, some ride do not allow bags of any sorts or size. Poach seems ok.

Last edited:
nikon 50 f/1.4 might suit you better.....