Recommend lens for Kinabatangan wildlife (in Borneo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WuffRuff

Jan 10, 2007
opp. East Coast Park
I plan to do this river wildlife tour along the Kinabatangan river, somewhere in Borneo.
I've never been there so do not know what to expect.
Can anyone advise me on the type of lens I will need?
I don't have any long lens and will be renting. Using Canon 400D.

I also plan to go to Mulu National Park.
Also, any advise on the lens, esp. to shoot the bats flying out of the cave at dawn.
Thanks a lot.

I plan to do this river wildlife tour along the Kinabatangan river, somewhere in Borneo.
I've never been there so do not know what to expect.
Can anyone advise me on the type of lens I will need?
I don't have any long lens and will be renting. Using Canon 400D.

I also plan to go to Mulu National Park.
Also, any advise on the lens, esp. to shoot the bats flying out of the cave at dawn.
Thanks a lot.

At least a 70-200.

1) Your bod
2) At least 3 spare batts if you're not able to recharge for a few days
3) A wide angle zoom in the 15/16/17 - 35/40/50 region
4) A compact telezoom like a 70-200 f4 better with IS. I know the 2.8 size and weight would be out for you.
5) Flash
6) At least 2-3 sets of spare batts for the flash, pref hi-cap ones like Imedions or Eneloops
7) Depending on how long your trip is going to be and whether all the batts can cover the entire length of the trip - ALL batt chargers, cords, adapters (check country's plugs and voltages)
8) Lots of spare cards as you would want to shoot in RAW a lot of times under difficult light conditions
9) Basic cleaning kit
10) Water-resisting or proofing system for ALL your equipment, including when you use the cam. Knowing your budgets, zip-loc bags would work well.

Don't forget you have to pack for your own necessities and emergency survival kit (at least basic one). Also bear in mind security if you're not going to lug everything with you everywhere you go.

You might have to make a few compromises in what you decide to finally bring. Be sure to rent from an agency that has insurance.

I'm sure I missed out some stuff. Hopefully others can chime in.

Perhaps ypu should have posted this in the new TRAVEL section.

1) Your bod
2) At least 3 spare batts if you're not able to recharge for a few days
3) A wide angle zoom in the 15/16/17 - 35/40/50 region
4) A compact telezoom like a 70-200 f4 better with IS. I know the 2.8 size and weight would be out for you.
5) Flash
6) At least 2-3 sets of spare batts for the flash, pref hi-cap ones like Imedions or Eneloops
7) Depending on how long your trip is going to be and whether all the batts can cover the entire length of the trip - ALL batt chargers, cords, adapters (check country's plugs and voltages)
8) Lots of spare cards as you would want to shoot in RAW a lot of times under difficult light conditions
9) Basic cleaning kit
10) Water-resisting or proofing system for ALL your equipment, including when you use the cam. Knowing your budgets, zip-loc bags would work well.

Don't forget you have to pack for your own necessities and emergency survival kit (at least basic one). Also bear in mind security if you're not going to lug everything with you everywhere you go.

You might have to make a few compromises in what you decide to finally bring. Be sure to rent from an agency that has insurance.

I'm sure I missed out some stuff. Hopefully others can chime in.

Perhaps ypu should have posted this in the new TRAVEL section.

Haha bro... thanks for your packing list.
Actually just not sure which lens I should get. I'm not sure 70-200 is long enough as the wildlife is really far from the boat (the proboscis monkeys in the trees, etc). I'm also not sure f4 is enough as it could be dark in forest and need faster shutter to freeze their action.

I would like to hear from those that have experience there, specifically.

Oh, there's a new travel section? Cool! I didn't know about it. This thread is definitely more apt there. Mod, can you please help me move this thread there? Thanks a lot!

Then it's simple - 70-200 2.8 IS with a 1.4 or 2x converter, unless you want to rent a 300 or 400 prime.

Sure you can carry or not? Consider the safety and storage issues hor. Plus if unless you've done this many times before, I fear the weight might make your trip miserable instead.

ya to carry such heavy equipment, i suggest you get a assistant to carry your gear for you! :cool:

Then it's simple - 70-200 2.8 IS with a 1.4 or 2x converter, unless you want to rent a 300 or 400 prime.

Sure you can carry or not? Consider the safety and storage issues hor. Plus if unless you've done this many times before, I fear the weight might make your trip miserable instead.

For Kinabatangan, most of the time, the shooting is from boat, so it's ok as I will be sitting down and I can mount it on my tripod. Of course, have to carry it to transport around but that should be ok. I will maybe feel some shoulder ache but it will not break my back. :sweatsm:

I think 70-200 f2.8 (maybe not getting IS since I'm using tripod... cheaper... haha) with 1.4 TC is a good idea. I might go for this.

But err... like to confirm, the TC can be used on this? If I didn't remember wrongly, someone once told me TC can only be used on primes. :confused:
I've never used TC before so quite noob in this... please enlighten me. :dunno:

ya to carry such heavy equipment, i suggest you get a assistant to carry your gear for you! :cool:

Haha... last time when I went caving, the guide was kind enough to offer to help me carry my camera... but it wasn't because the equipment was heavy but rather, the terrain was rough/ slippery, etc.

Well, I guess I can carry it myself... will try to get some weight reduction systems... :cool:

Hi Wuffruff,

My friend ever recommended me this place near Kinabatangan call "Uncle Tan’s Wildlife Camp". Never been to this place myself (maybe one of this day) but friend of mine just love this place. She has been to this place couple of times by her own. Hope following website can gives you little ideas about Kinabatangan. :D

http://www.uncletan.com

Thanks!

Hi Wuffruff,

My friend ever recommended me this place near Kinabatangan call "Uncle Tan’s Wildlife Camp". Never been to this place myself (maybe one of this day) but friend of mine just love this place. She has been to this place couple of times by her own. Hope following website can gives you little ideas about Kinabatangan. :D

http://www.uncletan.com

Thanks!

Hey, thanks a lot for your recommendation. Someone had also recommended Uncle Tan's. And I've also heard about Uncle Jim... What's with these Uncles? Haha. I also have recommendations for individual guide. I'll look around before I decide. There's so many of them. But thanks for your input. :)

For Kinabatangan, most of the time, the shooting is from boat, so it's ok as I will be sitting down and I can mount it on my tripod. Of course, have to carry it to transport around but that should be ok. I will maybe feel some shoulder ache but it will not break my back. :sweatsm:

I think 70-200 f2.8 (maybe not getting IS since I'm using tripod... cheaper... haha) with 1.4 TC is a good idea. I might go for this.

But err... like to confirm, the TC can be used on this? If I didn't remember wrongly, someone once told me TC can only be used on primes. :confused:
I've never used TC before so quite noob in this... please enlighten me. :dunno:

Haha... last time when I went caving, the guide was kind enough to offer to help me carry my camera... but it wasn't because the equipment was heavy but rather, the terrain was rough/ slippery, etc.

Well, I guess I can carry it myself... will try to get some weight reduction systems... :cool:

Who told you that a 70-200 2.8 can't be used with an extender? In short, yes, you can use a TC with the 70-200 2.8. Check Canon's own literature. Be careful; there's an amazing load of rubbish floating around these days, usually from people who like to sound like 'experts'. We have one very famous one here in the CS on de Jedi side. You know right? :bsmilie:

Weight Reduction Systsm:

[vid]EdK2y3lphmE[/vid]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdK2y3lphmE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.