recommend lens for group photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
CP selling Tokina 19-35mm f3.5 for $299.
comes wif free gifts (monopod, lens pen, hp pouch)
saw they have it in canon as well as nikon.

Any particular reason why you need a prime for your group photo? A price range of what you would consider as cheap would be useful for folks to recommend any lens to you. Your lens mount too.

Frankly, off the top of my head, I can't think of any 'cheap' (below $500?), very sharp, prime, wide-angle lens.

A wide-angle zoom, stopped down to a small aperture might be more versatile and practical. The Sigma 18-50 DC is acceptably sharp when stopped down, cheap at less than $200, and very small and lightweight. It can only be used on a digital body though.

Can also consider the Sigma 20mm prime.

finkster said:
Any particular reason why you need a prime for your group photo? A price range of what you would consider as cheap would be useful for folks to recommend any lens to you. Your lens mount too.

Frankly, off the top of my head, I can't think of any 'cheap' (below $500?), very sharp, prime, wide-angle lens.

A wide-angle zoom, stopped down to a small aperture might be more versatile and practical. The Sigma 18-50 DC is acceptably sharp when stopped down, cheap at less than $200, and very small and lightweight. It can only be used on a digital body though.

Can also consider the Sigma 20mm prime.

I'm currently using Canon 50E and 300D. I'm not sure whether the 18-55 is good enough for group portraits at f8
I also have a 24-85 f3.5-4.5, not sure whether this lens is sharp also
(usually print in 4R/8R)

Would the Nikon 50mm f1.8 be consider a prime lens suitable for taking group shots and what is the minimum focusing distance for this lens?

50mm may not be wide enough, depending on your situation. It's certainly sharp enough. Minimum focusing distance is around half a metre. This shouldn't matter in a group photo.

A wide angle zoom should give decent results at F8 printed at 8R. Why don't you do a test to find out for yourself?

finkster said:
50mm may not be wide enough, depending on your situation. It's certainly sharp enough. Minimum focusing distance is around half a metre.

A question on 50mm. If I use it on a DSLR, this Normal lens would be around 75mm rite? Due to the 1.5 conversion. Would this still be as sharp as on the conventional SLR?

So in order to match a conventional 50mm, I will need to get a 35mm prime?

Thanks.

volk said:
A question on 50mm. If I use it on a DSLR, this Normal lens would be around 75mm rite? Due to the 1.5 conversion. Would this still be as sharp as on the conventional SLR?

yes.

volk said:
So in order to match a conventional 50mm, I will need to get a 35mm prime?
Thanks.

in terms of resultant field of view , yes

+evenstar said:
I'm currently using Canon 50E and 300D. I'm not sure whether the 18-55 is good enough for group portraits at f8
I also have a 24-85 f3.5-4.5, not sure whether this lens is sharp also
(usually print in 4R/8R)

the lenses that u have are plenty good and sharp enough for group portraits. the rest is up to your technique.

i guess the d70 kit lens 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 will do the job then? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.