Recommend guide for yogyakarta

DSolZ

Mar 6, 2010
Hi all, I am intending to go yogyakarta. Any guide to recommend that can take me and my friend around the area to take photos ?

Do they provide guides as well?
Because it is likely I am going this weekend. I don't have the time to plan much. Hope to get a good engish speaking guide with a driver to bring me and my friend around. I will provide the itineries.

I saw your photos. They are nice. I was thinking of traveling light just bringing my Fuji x100s. I am now reconsidering to bring my DSLR setup and my tripod which is very heavy :(

Had a hand injury trying not to carry too heavy stuff.

Do they provide guides as well?
Because it is likely I am going this weekend. I don't have the time to plan much. Hope to get a good engish speaking guide with a driver to bring me and my friend around. I will provide the itineries.

I saw your photos. They are nice. I was thinking of traveling light just bringing my Fuji x100s. I am now reconsidering to bring my DSLR setup and my tripod which is very heavy :(

Had a hand injury trying not to carry too heavy stuff.

The driver I used from Pondok Transport spoke english.
Just ask for this when you ask for the quote with the car transport operators listed in the YogYes site.
To speed things up, just give a call instead of email.

Gear wise, I always carry UWA, normal and short tele and a tripod.
But its a Pentax system, so its relatively small compared to most other DSLR systems.

Maybe your X100s and DSLR+UWA?
Usually the short tele gets used the least for my travels.

Enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
The driver I used from Pondok Transport spoke english.
Just ask for this when you ask for the quote with the car transport operators listed in the YogYes site.
To speed things up, just give a call instead of email.

Gear wise, I always carry UWA, normal and short tele and a tripod.
But its a Pentax system, so its relatively small compared to most other DSLR systems.

Maybe your X100s and DSLR+UWA?
Usually the short tele gets used the least for my travels.

Enjoy your trip.

Ya usually I use uwa most of the time for these kind of places. Maybe I will just bring a normal zoom and uwa... Or maybe my m43 w normal zoom. See how.

I still need a guide who can tell me abit of history of the place as well.

Any other recommendation from fellow snappers?

My recent trip there was eventful. Mt Marapi took us 4 hours because my driver lost his way twice and only manage to reach there the 3rd time! On our way home back from Dieng, he brought us to Mt Marapi again!

There are a few routes up Mt Marapi. So it it important that your driver is experienced and know how to speak English. Don't give them too many instructions and they get confused. Be clear and tell them your next destination after you have visited where you wish to visit.

By the way, there a golf course near Mt Marapi, the food there is OK and reasonable. You need to eat anyway. Haha

Daredevil123 has a good driver lobang who is also a photographer

PM him

Ya usually I use uwa most of the time for these kind of places. Maybe I will just bring a normal zoom and uwa... Or maybe my m43 w normal zoom. See how. I still need a guide who can tell me abit of history of the place as well. Any other recommendation from fellow snappers?

Within the city, there are a few destinations you can visit (walking distance from Ibis hotel area). The sultan palace and the water palace, walking through the kumpong is quite nice. There will be guys that will approach you with their stories and offer to bring you around. Just give him 100k RP and he should be happy. I don't think you need any tele lens.

Within the city, there are a few destinations you can visit (walking distance from Ibis hotel area). The sultan palace and the water palace, walking through the kumpong is quite nice. There will be guys that will approach you with their stories and offer to bring you around. Just give him 100k RP and he should be happy. I don't think you need any tele lens.

Dont give money anyhow and inflate prices laa :bsmilie: bcos 100k is still quite a sum there. 50k should be ok

No wonder he sooo happy. But he did walk quite a bit and try to explain. 50K is about $5 in today exchange rate. OK lah, everybody is happy but I must consider next visitor. haha

we just rented a car for the day without guide to bring us to borobudur, merapi and pramabanan, worked out very well as well!

If any of u guys want to go to Jogjakarta, feel free to contact me at queen_0036@yahoo.com. I've been living in Jogjakarta for 18 years and will be good if we can shoot together. Cheers

Anybody want to shoot together at Grebeg Festival at 14 January 2014 can contact me through email, this will be the biggest in the last 4 years.

Jogjakarta, lots of places to visit for travellers and photographers.
I was there 8 years ago, Then Jogjakarta was strike by strong earth quake at 7.0 ritcher scale
that killed more then 6000 people and flattened thousand of houses.Too bad i only
carry with me slr camera with limited rolls of film.
Iám making a trip back there, end of this month for 8 days with 2 set DSLR.
hope to snap lots of interesting scenery and candids.