Recommend GND & CPL for Bali

ranma-cs

Jan 14, 2011
Hi guys i getting some filters for my upcoming Bali trip.

Would a GND 2 + CPL filter b
Code:
e enough?

Or do i need a GND 4?

I dont think i will be taking exposures of more than 30 seconds.

Code:
e enough?

Or do i need a GND 4?

I would recommend that you read this to understand how ND and CPL works.

There is no magic formula. Most of us will bring our entire filter collection out every shoot and select the one to use on the spot after assessing the lighting condition and decide on what we are trying to achieve.

Code:
e enough?

Or do i need a GND 4?

We don't know what you are shooting, in what conditions, etc etc etc. As such, there is no way anyone can advise you.

It won't be a photography trip as i am travelling with the wife.
My intent is to get better exposure of the sky and the clear waters.
Not intending to do long exposures at all for the trip. Shooting mostly in the evenings and mornings for landscapes.

Thinking of using filters instead of underexposing and then pulling out details in lightroom and cs5.

reading from the title I though the sun are more rounder at oversea, so need some special filter.... ;p

anyway, we can't recommend just ONE type of filter as each day sunrise may NOT be the same.
I have Cokin GND, hi-tech GND soft 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9, ND4, ND400, CPL and ND fader, and I still it won't suit all the situation I encounter.

ranma-cs said:
It won't be a photography trip as i am travelling with the wife.
My intent is to get better exposure of the sky and the clear waters.
Not intending to do long exposures at all for the trip. Shooting mostly in the evenings and mornings for landscapes.

Thinking of using filters instead of underexposing and then pulling out details in lightroom and cs5.

Not sure what technique you are using, but I do the direct opposite from you, often overexpose pictures to pull out more detail.

Not sure what technique you are using, but I do the direct opposite from you, often overexpose pictures to pull out more detail.

I usually meter the sky and the foregound, take an exposure somewhere in between den post process in LR3/CS5.

reading from the title I though the sun are more rounder at oversea, so need some special filter.... ;p

anyway, we can't recommend just ONE type of filter as each day sunrise may NOT be the same.
I have Cokin GND, hi-tech GND soft 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9, ND4, ND400, CPL and ND fader, and I still it won't suit all the situation I encounter.

Thanks. Your list will be helpful as a reference.
Seems like the best way to learn is to grab a couple of filters and experiment.
No easy way out.

u can bring a +2 and +3 GND and stack if necessary ? ( though stacking filters can introduce other issues like cast etc etc )