recommend filter or polarizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxkat

Jun 5, 2007
hi, not sure wat's the diff between filters and polarizer.. but read that they can enhance city and scenery shots? any recommendation to go with my D80 + kitlens 18-135mm? :)

budget .. i don't know.. $50-80?

tia

Yeah I was about to post a similar question for my d80 too, think I'll tag together with this thread...wanted to have filter to enhance the saturation of my picture and a blue sky with saturated forground. Would circular polarizer does the trick or GND?

what's a "CPL"? :)
wat brand?

CPL stands for circular polarizer. But if the sun is right on top during noon time, does that means that CPL cannot be used??

hi, not sure wat's the diff between filters and polarizer.. but read that they can enhance city and scenery shots? any recommendation to go with my D80 + kitlens 18-135mm? :)

budget .. i don't know.. $50-80?

tia

Yeah I was about to post a similar question for my d80 too, think I'll tag together with this thread...wanted to have filter to enhance the saturation of my picture and a blue sky with saturated forground. Would circular polarizer does the trick or GND?

A polarizer is a filter. Check out the Cokin (a filter company) website here, there is a lot of useful information regarding filters.

Also, there are whole books on filters with regards to photography in the library, Wikipedia also has a short list of filters and a small introduction as to what each of them do. I think I've said this before, I've seen so many threads whereby new people ask questions which are easily answered in their own time and with minimal effort, not fed up but just rather bemused. I suppose the mods could sticky up a filter thread but no one would read it anyways.

A lot of filters can enhance city/landscape shots, but in the digital age you'd probably want to get stuff which you cannot replicate in Photoshop, gone are the days when you needed warmup filters, etc with film. But well:

1) CPL - circular polariser. Don't worry about the other type of polariser, I have NEVER seen it before, so just ask for a CPL when you get your stuff. This does two main things - reduce glare/reflection from non-metallic surfaces, and this first thing is therefore linked to the second - which saturates colours (due to cut off of glare) and increases contrasts in the sky wherever applicable.

2) ND - neutral density filters. These are filters which are well, neutral in colour and basically block off some light such that you can lengthen your exposure timing. Mainly used to smooth out water, or to capture wave spray, etc. A lot of things can be done with long exposures, like people trails, etc.

3) GND - graduated neutral density filters. These are similar to ND filters but they are graduated, i.e. with varying degrees of light cut-off. These are to ensure equal exposure of highlights and shadows (if you do not know what this is, please read up more first), such that you get to retain details in both of these extreme ends of the light captured. Particularly useful for landscapes, especially for those where you have a foreground which is not as brightly lit up as the sky.

Another filter whose effect cannot be replicated in PS would be an infrared (IR) filter - can check out the IR section of Clubsnap for more info.

Learn to find out things for yourself, you will enjoy it much better than getting spoonfed, really. Part of the experience of photography is crashing through the jungle of information - and there is much available everywhere these days, with the Internet, Singapore's relatively well-equipped libraries..

Cheers!

Thanks night for your info....I'm aware of the definition of both filters, just that both seems to be able to do the work, hence was wondering which would be more appropriate....no worries, I'll check out with the shop directly...:sweatsm: ...need to get one by today and try out...

Thanks mate

after much reading.. looks like i can just stick to CPL :)

not sure of the price though.. nikon and hoya sites no pricing. guess i will ask shops.

The CPL may not be as good as a GND some times. Especially when you shoot in the direction of the sun, or directly away from the sun. However, IMO, GND is useful mostly in landscape photography, while CPL may still find its uses into other forms of photography, such as macros. it depends on what you want to achieve though.

The CPL may not be as good as a GND some times. Especially when you shoot in the direction of the sun, or directly away from the sun. However, IMO, GND is useful mostly in landscape photography, while CPL may still find its uses into other forms of photography, such as macros. it depends on what you want to achieve though.

Not to mention there will be more hassle using a GND as it is not the regular shaped circular filter...

get the thinnest CPL that you can afford. Or you might experience vignetting effects in the wide end.

i have read that PL is mainly used for manual focus cams and CPL is used on auto focus cam.

i have a PL filter. not too sure if its a good filter to use for my KM 7D. Please advise. Thanks! :)

wat the..? get both then..

Stick to CPL for AF. Polarisors are very different compared to GND or ND, which basically cuts down light.

CPLs and PLs cuts reflections (water, glass), and makes the sky bluer (by cutting of some wavelengths of light???).

Stick to CPL for AF. Polarisors are very different compared to GND or ND, which basically cuts down light.

CPLs and PLs cuts reflections (water, glass), and makes the sky bluer (by cutting of some wavelengths of light???).
okay i will try my hands on CPL first.
any brand/model to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.