recommend earphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
hi, am looking for a good pair of earphones (not headphones) to listen to music with. as i usually use them when i'm on public transport, would prefer one that can block out external noise so that even softer parts of songs can be heard.

am not an audio nut, so not going to splurge on those $300+ earphones. can anyone recommend a good model? preferably under $100...

thanks!

sennheiser... but only headphones.... try sony :think:

Sony MDR ex71 probably fits your bill.

For under S$100, if you need some form of isolation, get the Sony Nude series.
Ex-50, EX-51, EX-70 or EX-71.

They're not as good as Etymotic Research or Shure in-canal phones for isolation but at least offer a wee-bit of isolation over normal earphones.

i agree on the sonys... the nude series works like a ear plug. good bass and crisp treble response.

My next question is where can I get them, the ones that are placed on hooks on shops mostly look very cheapo to me, I'm looking to replace my ipod earphones. :D

espn said:
My next question is where can I get them, the ones that are placed on hooks on shops mostly look very cheapo to me, I'm looking to replace my ipod earphones. :D

Sony gallery shops lor. Or the Sony shop at 3rd level at SLS. I think the prices there are better. RRP for EX-71 is $79.

Thanks bug! Will check them out.

espn said:

How about replacing the ipod instead? :think:

togu said:
How about replacing the ipod instead? :think:
No way!!! :sticktong The size and shape is kewl :sticktong

i owned the PX200 (sold), Ex71 (spoilt) and HJE-50. After my Ex71 failed me, i went scouting for better earphones at a budget price. I think you should get the Ex81 instead. Alot of reviewers say the sound is much improved over the Ex71.

The Sony Ex Nude series (Ex51, Ex71) has boomy bass. Very muffled mids and highs. Unless you're a bassfreak, if not you might want to consider other options.

I would recommend the Panasonic HJE-50 instead or if you dont mind, the Sennheiser PX200. Both of them are well balanced. The Sennheiser has alot of clarity. The HJE-50 festures the same design as the Ex71 but has better sound, tighter bass, smooth mids and clear treble.

The other highly review earphones would be the Sharp MD33. Some say it's better but i have yet to take a listen.

Though not in the league of the Shures and ER, HJE-50 performs well for everyday usuage.

Well if you're looking at high fidelity sound, i highly recommend Grados Headphones! $120 will get you the SR-60. Sweet! Awesome. the bad thing, it's open can which means you will not get any isolation.

The above entry are based on my humble opinions. To each has his own. :)

I use an EX-70SL, the first siliconne molded ear plug style earphone. Boomy bass and crisp treble as others have mentioned, I have listened to various ear and head phone (since the walkman days), I was impressed by it at first I tried (size to sound quality ratio), but now used to it already. ;p

You can get the Panasonic HJE50 for $51, EX71 for $72 or EX81 for $79 at auctions with free shipping..... :)

in the end, i went with the ex-71 phones

not enough of an audiophile to shell out for the shures. other considerations also important, like size, so headphones out. if not for the earhooks, i'd have gone for the ex-81 phones, but i sometimes wear glasses, and it just looks fiddly.

so far... i like them. they're comfortable. also, while they don't block out all surrounding noise (probably a good thing), they block enough of it for me to hear things on my mds and mp3s that i normally don't. sound won't blow you away, but is a nice step up from cheapo generic earphones.

one interesting thing... the volume has to be turned up quite a lot for these... at the normal volume setting they sound softer...

pai said:
in the end, i went with the ex-71 phones

not enough of an audiophile to shell out for the shures. other considerations also important, like size, so headphones out. if not for the earhooks, i'd have gone for the ex-81 phones, but i sometimes wear glasses, and it just looks fiddly.

so far... i like them. they're comfortable. also, while they don't block out all surrounding noise (probably a good thing), they block enough of it for me to hear things on my mds and mp3s that i normally don't. sound won't blow you away, but is a nice step up from cheapo generic earphones.

one interesting thing... the volume has to be turned up quite a lot for these... at the normal volume setting they sound softer...

I'm sure you will love them. They are comfortable enough to wear it and listen music to sleep. I think the sensivity is lower than most other earphones because of the design. Hence you gotta pump up the volume but since they block out some ambient noise, you need not turn the volume so high.

the gf (much bigger music nut than i am) has caught the buy buy buy bug... she wants to know, where can you find etymotic and shure 'phones in singapore?

what abt audio technica ? a old brand in audio technology i guess. I'm using a not so-expensive one, the sound quality is good. If you want better ones, can go for those sold @ 70++ packaged in new boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.