sonofthesand

Nov 11, 2011
Hi guys, Please recommend me a digital camera from the following choices:

1) Canon S95
2) Panasonic LX5
3) Olympus XZ-1
4) Samsung EX1
5) Other similar range

Purpose: Basically to take photos of my 2 year old kid who doesn't stay still and some indoor functions at home.

Highest Priority: Image quality
Lowest Priority: Size/weight of camera

If I am not wrong the prices are almost similar averaging $650 so lets just leave this factor out first.

Thank you!

If u can wait, get the s100, replacement model for s95. Should be out soon.

Get the S100, should be out in mid Nov (which is soon). Or looked into getting a mirrorless camera which is actually not too much of a difference in price too.

Get the S100, should be out in mid Nov (which is soon). Or looked into getting a mirrorless camera which is actually not too much of a difference in price too.

1) Will S100 cost around $650 too ?
2) Which mirrorless camera would you recommend around $650? The one I know is Olympus E-PL1 but its auto-focus too slow to catch my son :)

1) Will S100 cost around $650 too ?
2) Which mirrorless camera would you recommend around $650? The one I know is Olympus E-PL1 but its auto-focus too slow to catch my son :)

Amazon is selling this cam at US$529. Pricewise, it was not listed out yet in Singapore, but I am guessing it should be around 6xx to 7xx... it cannot be too expensive or it would be in direct competition with their entry level DSLR...

I was gonna say "Canon 1DX" ;p

highest priority is image quality, and lowest priority is size/weight...

yup... check. 1DX fits the bill :D

Err but its not in the similar category as the other 4
and of course its way over $650

Err but its not in the similar category as the other 4
and of course its way over $650

I know :)
Was just pulling your leg :)
hmmm if your kid runs about in a dimly-lit environment, I wouldn't be expecting miracles out of the 4 short-listed cameras.
You need good light generally, and a dependable auto-focus system.

Haven't had enough hands-on time with the 4 cameras to give an objective opinion. Sorry! ;)

Don't really want to distract you but if size/weight is your least priority, why don't you get some entry level DSLR.
Pentax k-r should fit your range with kit lens(18-55 or 35mm prime).
Later you may add some other zoom fast/bright lens.
Image quality of this camera will be way better then the compacts.

I have switched to LX5 in past from my DSLR (nikon system) cuz I found a bit difficult to carry it and I could not afford two cameras.
After using it for few months, I started missing DSLR IQ and now back to DSLR :)
Currently using Pentax k-r with tamron 17-50 2.8 lens.

1) Canon S95
2) Panasonic LX5
3) Olympus XZ-1
4) Samsung EX1
5) Other similar range

Purpose: Basically to take photos of my 2 year old kid who doesn't stay still and some indoor functions at home.

If I am not wrong the prices are almost similar averaging $650 so lets just leave this factor out first.

Thank you!

Last edited:
If size and weight doesn't matter a lot.. I would recommend dSLR. Try a used camera?

How about a Canon 10D or 20D (~$200-300ish) with a Tamron 17-50mm (~$450 used) lens? It would be worth the slight price difference. Tremendous jump in image quality.
If its too expensive you could go for a kit lens + 50mm F1.8, each about 100 used.

If size and weight doesn't matter a lot.. I would recommend dSLR. Try a used camera?

How about a Canon 10D or 20D (~$200-300ish) with a Tamron 17-50mm (~$450 used) lens? It would be worth the slight price difference. Tremendous jump in imge quality.
If its too expensive you could go for a kit lens + 50mm F1.8, each about 100 used.

Sorry for not making myself clear. When I mentioned the priorities, I meant for those 4 cameras or any other similar ones in the same category. DSLR is a different league and will be too heavy and bulky for me and plus I have to stretch my budget further.

1) Canon S95
2) Panasonic LX5
3) Olympus XZ-1
4) Samsung EX1
5) Other similar range

Thank you!

The listed cameras and even the DSLRs will all fail the criteria.
None of them can focus fast enough indoors to capture shots of a little guy running around. :D

Jokes Aside.

My advice.
1. Wait for the action to lull a bit. (he will end up somewhere or with something eventually)
2. Use flash (preferably bounced)
3. Anticipate the action (where he is headed to)
4. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more (and throw away the bad ones) :)

For ~$650,
DSLR - Pentax Kr
MILC - 2nd hand Panasonic G1; G2; GF1; GF2; (EP series before EP3 are a bit slow in AF)
Others - the ones you listed can do too, maybe a bit lower hit rate, so the advice above will help.

Gd Luck

The listed cameras and even the DSLRs will all fail the criteria.
None of them can focus fast enough indoors to capture shots of a little guy running around. :D

Jokes Aside.

My advice.
1. Wait for the action to lull a bit. (he will end up somewhere or with something eventually)
2. Use flash (preferably bounced)
3. Anticipate the action (where he is headed to)
4. Shoot, shoot and shoot some more (and throw away the bad ones) :)

For ~$650,
DSLR - Pentax Kr
MILC - 2nd hand Panasonic G1; G2; GF1; GF2; (EP series before EP3 are a bit slow in AF)
Others - the ones you listed can do too, maybe a bit lower hit rate, so the advice above will help.

Gd Luck

This looks like a good offer for GF2
"Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 14-42mm lens (free gifts: 8 GB SD card, & bag) is now on special offer at S$599 (incl. GST), while stock lasts. Only at T K Foto."

The 14-42mm lens should be fine for my purpose right ?

"Panasonic Lumix GF2 with 14-42mm lens (free gifts: 8 GB SD card, & bag) is now on special offer at S$599 (incl. GST), while stock lasts. Only at T K Foto."

Sounds like a good price.
14-42 is a zoom lens that goes from slightly wide-angle to short telephoto. A versatile lens, if not outstanding in any aspect.
Am worried that it will not meet your expectations as a capable low-light performer... You really need to try it out for yourself.

Sounds like a good price.
14-42 is a zoom lens that goes from slightly wide-angle to short telephoto. A versatile lens, if not outstanding in any aspect.
Am worried that it will not meet your expectations as a capable low-light performer... You really need to try it out for yourself.

I am not sure how dark do you mean when you say low-light performer.

If I am taking photos for an event in my house, then I would turn on all my lights. My 3-room flat living hall lights consist of 2 chandelier with 5 energy saving bulbs each. So that should be enough light, right ? :confused:

Maybe with some examples, I can explain what I require in a new camera.

Please view these photos taken with my old PnS Canon PowerShot A85. These are some shots of my kid when he is still :)
Since I cannot post links yet, so to view the photos, please copy and paste the URL in your browser. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Example 1:
The 1st one is taken with flash and the 2nd one without flash in the kitchen at night with florescent lamp.
1) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2511.JPG
2) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2513.JPG
Basically, I wish to overcome the noise problem in Photo2

Example 2:
The 1st one is taken with flash and the 2nd one without flash in living room in the morning with natural light.
3) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_2546.JPG
4) gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/IMG_25451.JPG
Notice in Photo3, the photo looks sharp but the background becomes dark.
In Photo4, photo looks better but noisy.

Your feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Indoors you will have to use flash with the kit lens, but a kit lens is a good starting point.
Price seems pretty good.

Indoors you will have to use flash with the kit lens, but a kit lens is a good starting point.
Price seems pretty good.

Do you mean using an external flash ?

By the way, any comments on the examples of photos I posted in post #18 ?

Thanks...