Recommend compact ultra zoom, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
I've come across a few but it seems that compacts and pro-consumers are getting very close in terms of size and weight.

I already have a DSLR and proconsumer but was thinking of getting an ultra zoom compact that I can carry around easily. As I'm not very familiar with compacts, I'll appreciate if any gurus here can recommend me some models.

I have no preference but value for money is key :thumbsup:

If you need something 'compact' (reasonable 'slim'), for Panasonic will be TZ series (correct me) and for Canon, will be SX200IS, A2000 or related. AXXXX do not come with manual control.

Ultra zooms usually are not compact and compacts usually don't have the the ultra zoom range.

I've come across a few but it seems that compacts and pro-consumers are getting very close in terms of size and weight.

I already have a DSLR and proconsumer but was thinking of getting an ultra zoom compact that I can carry around easily. As I'm not very familiar with compacts, I'll appreciate if any gurus here can recommend me some models.

I have no preference but value for money is key :thumbsup:

can't go wrong w panasonic's TZ line... FZ line if non-compact ultrazoom

Panasonic TZ-5 series... 10x optical zoom , ultra compact

Hmm... Value for money..

Why not let me intro an "outsider" brand..
Try taking Samsung.
My last 2 compact digital cams are Samsung.

They are cheap and in my point of view, the photos turn out to be quite nice and acceptable. ;)

Hmm... Value for money..

Why not let me intro an "outsider" brand..
Try taking Samsung.
My last 2 compact digital cams are Samsung.

They are cheap and in my point of view, the photos turn out to be quite nice and acceptable. ;)

I don't mind as long as they're ultra zooms. So far, 12x is the longest zooms I've seen on compacts (Panasonic TZ7, Canon SX200IS).

Samsung don't have a 12x but they have a 10x zoom.
If I'm not wrong, it costs around $500.

The Samsung WB550 may not have such a strong zoom but the price is a budget price for the 10x zoom range. My friend who is a foreigner just bought it.

It is also an ultra-wide angle camera with 24mm focal length.

Product Information

You can try taking a look at it. ;)

Samsung don't have a 12x but they have a 10x zoom.
If I'm not wrong, it costs around $500.

The Samsung WB550 may not have such a strong zoom but the price is a budget price for the 10x zoom range. My friend who is a foreigner just bought it.

It is also an ultra-wide angle camera with 24mm focal length.

Product Information

You can try taking a look at it. ;)

Yeah, the HZ10W (WB500) but if it's about $500 then it's not too far from TZ7 which is top of the bunch.

Oh.

But eventually, it's down to the user.

What suits me may not suit you, so I can only name some models but the final decision is down to you. ;)

Yeah, appreciate that. Pricing wise I think Samsung's 1st attempt is on the high side. Wonder what's the highest zoom a compact can have in time to come :D

the Samsung WB550 looks so tempting for its price ,12.2 megapixels 10x for only 500+

http://www.samsung.com/sg/dsc/wb500/

As I travelled for work overseas , regularly really fine hard to accommodate A DSLR to bring a long while working . Need a compact with ultra zoom like

But how does the Samsung compare to the Canon G10 ??? Any one can advise further. Thinking of getting either one ..

the Samsung WB550 looks so tempting for its price ,12.2 megapixels 10x for only 500+

http://www.samsung.com/sg/dsc/wb500/

As I travelled for work overseas , regularly really fine hard to accommodate A DSLR to bring a long while working . Need a compact with ultra zoom like

But how does the Samsung compare to the Canon G10 ??? Any one can advise further. Thinking of getting either one ..

You can't compare the image quality of a compact with ultra zoom with a small zoom of the G10. I have tried a couple of test shots on the WB550 and it's decent enough.

In fact a friend of mine was looking at super zoom compacts recently too. He was looking at the Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony. In the end he chose the Sony H20 but from what I see during the test shots, all the cams are about the same and it's up to individual to get something he/she is comfortable with.

DPReview has a shootout comparison for UZ cams.
but it may be a little out of date.

Status
Not open for further replies.