recommend CF card reader

somesunday

Jun 20, 2011
Hi all, which CF card reader are you using?

I have used some cheap ebay cf card reader, but it spoils easily.
Therefore I am now thinking of paying a bit more to get a trustworthy CF card reader.

I am thinking of the kingston CF card reader here
http://www.kingston.com/us/flash/readers#fcr-hs3

this one from McKal - MP902

MP902-Top-L.jpg

still running strong after all the abuse after so many years. Got it at Challenger.

Runs : CF, xD, SDXC, microSD & MS PRO-HG DUO and the list goes on.

You can also try SanDisk and Lexar card readers...

The best card reader is using the camera especially if it support "Mass Storage" when connect to your computer via USB cable. :thumbsup:
It may not be the fastest but effective and constitant. ;p
If you only have one card, it minimize taking in and out the card and spoiling the pins and contacts. :angel:

If you only have one card, it minimize taking in and out the card and spoiling the pins and contacts. :angel:
The amount of incidents reported here in the forum is close to zero. I only recall one single incident. As long as common sense is not on leave there should not be any issue. The risk of doing something .. unusual is much higher when people change the cards during shooting.

if ur computer has USB3 support, u may want to get this cost around $6x i think

reader-sddr-289.jpg

else i think any brand will do for USB 2,cheaper also. go challenger to take a look .

Therefore I am now thinking of paying a bit more to get a trustworthy CF card reader.

He has a point. CF card has many holes/sockets. If not carefully handled, the pin inside the camera slot can be bent or pushed in.
You just have to be careful when inserting the CF card.

I almost never use any camera for direct cable connection to the PC to transfer photos.
Always take the card out and transfer via card reader. Also delete via card reader.

I'm actually more worried that the camera will fall off my table if I accidentally move my laptop with the usb cable connected.

I'm actually more worried that the camera will fall off my table if I accidentally move my laptop with the usb cable connected.

Erm ... Just always learn to be more careful ;)

I use card readers for this reason too other than I really don't like to plug in / plug out the cable too much on the camera body.

I was traumatized when I was younger & I damaged a camera while pulling out the cable. Stupid yes , but true.

I'm using this Kingston card reader now. So far so good.

The best card reader is using the camera especially if it support "Mass Storage" when connect to your computer via USB cable. :thumbsup:
It may not be the fastest but effective and constitant. ;p

The amount of incidents reported here in the forum is close to zero. I only recall one single incident. As long as common sense is not on leave there should not be any issue. The risk of doing something .. unusual is much higher when people change the cards during shooting.
that is over worry about wear and tear of the pins and contacts when slot in memory card into the camera, I have done that don't know how many hundreds or thousands time over the years.
So far I only heard one case of jammed memory card, but that was a casual user slot the SD card into his compact camera wrong way and force it in. I guess the design of compact camera is still not idiot-proof enough.

The only time I connect my camera to download images is when the card reader can't read the memory cards but the camera still able to read them.

Thank you all for replying to this thread.

I know I have not searched the thread before and I just posted, it's a habit from other forums. I do apologise for it. Someone posted a nasty comment about my actions and I feel bad about it. But he has since deleted it.

I have bought the below CF card reader. Thank you all for your inputs.

I had been using a usb cable to read the photos from my camera for a while, but I don't think I was able to read it as mass storage. I am using 5dmk2. So I read and copy the photos from Lightroom, fairly inconvenient. So I would tend towards a CF card reader. There may be more efficient ways to read photos via a USB cable, or read a 5dmk2 as mass storage but I did not research about it so please don't flame me.

Thank you all very much, I appreciate your time and inputs. Sorry if I wasted any your bandwidth since this is this topic that has been posted before

if ur computer has USB3 support, u may want to get this cost around $6x i think

reader-sddr-289.jpg

else i think any brand will do for USB 2,cheaper also. go challenger to take a look .

Last edited:
I had been using a usb cable to read the photos from my camera for a while, but I don't think I was able to read it as mass storage. I am using 5dmk2. So I read and copy the photos from Lightroom, fairly inconvenient.
What is inconvenient about this workflow? I do the same, just that I have a CF card reader.

Thank you all for replying to this thread.

I know I have not searched the thread before and I just posted, it's a habit from other forums. I do apologise for it. Someone posted a nasty comment about my actions and I feel bad about it. But he has since deleted it.

I have bought the below CF card reader. Thank you all for your inputs.

I had been using a usb cable to read the photos from my camera for a while, but I don't think I was able to read it as mass storage. I am using 5dmk2. So I read and copy the photos from Lightroom, fairly inconvenient. So I would tend towards a CF card reader. There may be more efficient ways to read photos via a USB cable, or read a 5dmk2 as mass storage but I did not research about it so please don't flame me.

Thank you all very much, I appreciate your time and inputs. Sorry if I wasted any your bandwidth since this is this topic that has been posted before
How long do it takes to pop put the memory card from the camera, insert card into card reader?

The computer will detect the card, just select the programme you want to download/import the images.
and while the images are being downloading, you can make yourself a coffee, clean your camera and lenses, and store them inside the dry cabinet.
Btw, the Sandisk card readers transferring the files very fast, just enough time for you to make a cup of instant coffee.

You just need to be aware that some cheap USB3 cf card readers I've bought initially copied at a blazing speed of 2mb/s :bsmilie:

But after I changed to the Sandisk one, I've never had any transfer speed issues :thumbsup:

I am also using the Kingston one for awhile now, so far so good :thumbsup: