Recommend Canon camera for children photos

Xin Hui Apple

Sep 17, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a good camera, mainly for photo taking when travelling and also of my baby. I usually use a camera for many years so would like one that can take good pictures of active toddlers too.
I would prefer cameras from Canon, compact or semi pro is fine but no DSLR as I'm a noob. No budget. Hope can get some advice here. Thank you!

Hi

All modern cameras from all brands can do what you are asking

There is no camera for active toddlers

Look at the cameras in shops and then choose one that you like using and makes sense to your hands

no budget as in don't want to spend any money or money is not an issue?

each individuals have difference preference, the camera may feel right to ones but others might think differently.

so you need to set a budget, go to Canon website to shortlist a few models within your budget, check out the reviews of these models, than go to a reputable camera shop to have a feel about the cameras, because at end of the day, you are the one who is using this camera.

Hi

All modern cameras from all brands can do what you are asking

There is no camera for active toddlers

Look at the cameras in shops and then choose one that you like using and makes sense to your hands

+1

The cameras nowadays are all fine to do what you want.
In fact they have been since film days too.

More importantly, just get the camera and practice.

One other thing, I'd recommend an OVF camera over an EVF one if its mainly indoors with a moving child because of the lag in the EVF.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a good camera, mainly for photo taking when travelling and also of my baby. I usually use a camera for many years so would like one that can take good pictures of active toddlers too.
I would prefer cameras from Canon, compact or semi pro is fine but no DSLR as I'm a noob. No budget. Hope can get some advice here. Thank you!
Your requirements are quite vague so it is really difficult for anyone to make a recommendation. Following on to what some of the folks have advised earlier, you can scan through the different models that Canon offers. These are the IXUS and Powershot ranges (see the links I have given below). Note that the price indicated is the Canon list price and you may get cheaper from retail shops.

Canon Powershot
Canon IXUS

If by 'no budget' you mean that money is not a problem, I would suggest you go for the better specs one.

The Powershot SX60, G3X and G1X and G16 have a flash hot-shoe which you can accessorise with an external flash. If size is a concern, then you might want to consider the G7X. This is but two selection decisions and you will need to match your other requirements to what is available.

You can of course select from the lower priced models which may still meet your need.

One thing to note is that the life cycles of compact cameras are relatively short - meaning that models with newer features are introduced quite rapidly. This does not mean that the compact camera you buy now will be obsolete. It will still still take good pictures but you will find that the model you buy now will seem to be outdated in 2 - 3 years time. For your info, I sometimes use the Canon S100 which is a 2011 model and it still takes great photos.

When my friends ask me for compact camera suggestions for casual use, I would tell them smartphone camera nowadays are more than enough.

Generally you have to get a separate camera if you need more zoom, weather/water proofing or a large sensor for better low-light image quality (that said there are also specific smartphone with camera that offer these features).

If you really need it, and have budget of around $700, can consider getting the Canon G7X since you named Canon. It's pocketable, has a general zoom range, relatively fast autofocus to lock on active toddlers and a large sensor for better low-light image quality.

If you have more specific requirements just let us know I'm sure the others can answer your specific needs (without pressure of making a sale ;) )

Happy shopping :)

Thanks all for the advise. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in first post, no budget meaning money isn't an issue.

I did shortlist the G7X actually.
Hmm, does the G7X have wide angle lens?

Thanks all for the advise. Sorry I wasn't clear enough in first post, no budget meaning money isn't an issue.

IIRC, there is a wide angle attachment, separate purchase.

pls also understand for a compact camera, the response time of your camera may not be as fast as a DSLR if you want to shoot your kids when they are running at full speed.

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR_or_compact/should_you_buy_a_DSLR.shtml

The G7X has a 35mm equivalent focal range of 24-100mm. That's more than sufficient for many occasions. Do take note of WA distortions, especially with people in the frame and closer to the edge.
For additional WA converters or add-on lenses do read up here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477934 - Be careful if you really want to buy one. Many sales people use this item to rip off customers. Check eBay for similar items.

Canon G7X's lens start at 24mm which is quite wide, if you need anything wider in Canon's compact camera range only Canon SX60HS is wider at 21mm (it has a much bigger zoom and thus bigger in size).

Better to try them out in the shops to see if the size / autofocus speed / wide angle is up to your requirements. If you really need the ultra-wide / fisheye views you will probably have to get a separate Wide-Angle (WA) attachment as others suggested, or get a Interchangeable Lens camera system (eg DSLR or mirrorless) with a dedicated Ultra-Wide Angle lens.

Got money means buy Leica. Can show off to other mothers too at the play centre. Sibei Say Bin. :thumbsup:

Ok, thank you all again for the great advise. Will get down to a shop to try out the G7X soon~

Haha, Leica ah, looks nice but my husband's pretty fixed on Canon already.

We hope all our clients/customers have the same definition of "no budget" like you. ;p

A few thoughts:
Almost any camera would suffice for good light vacation shots.
The most challenging scenario that you've listed would likely be photographing an active toddler in low light, or even just limited indoor lighting.
If you go with a smaller sensor camera (mostly compacts) with deep DOF, you loose out in high ISO image quality as you chase adequate shutter speeds. Translation: picture quality drops because the settings required to take a sharp image of a moving kid becomes compromised due to the size of the camera sensor.
If you went with a larger sensor camera, you need a good autofocus system to keep up with the more limited DOF but you don't want a DSLR.
This kind of puts you in tricky situation if you're set on Canon as they're not considered technological leaders in the non-DSLR segment.

My advice would be, don't be scared of DSLRs just because you think you're a noob. Consider something like the Canon 100D which is quite small and learn to use it shooting through the optical viewfinder as oppose to the LCD on the back. If you go this route then there are also lens recommendations we can help you with.
If you're keen on non-DSLRs, consider some other brands although something like a G1x/G3x/G7x are all very solid cameras as long as you're realistic about what it can do.
I suspect it will still struggle a bit in more challenging light conditions though.

Olympus EM10 + 12-35mm f/2.8 at around 700gm. High ISO usable, with fast 8fps shooting and possible low light. Should last a long time and a capable combination for shooting growing kids and for vacation :):):)

why restrict to canon only?