Recommend Camera can take kids photo fast and small and compact

steventay

Jun 3, 2005
Singapore
www.fotoacs.com
Hi all,

my objective i want a camera can take kids photo fast and small and compact.

i have a canon IXUS take kids photo in kids mode cannot make it..

Try the Sony Nex series.

you can cosider the olympus XZ-1. i tried my friend's set and quite like the results

Learn to manage your kids, stop feeding Red Bull :bsmilie:
Jokes aside, can you please elaborate a bit more what exactly is your problem and what you have tried already? If you think that any camera can detect children and switch on some funky 'kids capture mode'.. well... maybe Apple has something in the future. Cameras expect that the person behind the viewfinder selects the right modes and gives the right commands.

my kid cannot sit still so i need a camera if possible those ultra portable type to be able to capture image fast.

this is for my wife to use.

You are looking for the Holy Grail of cameras.
Not produced yet :D

G3 has very fast AF for a CDAF camera. Probably as good as many DSLRs.
AF-C is another story.....
Try one out in a store to determine if it fits your needs.

Rather than looking into new equipment, have you tried other ways to workaround it? At times I do use my handphone camera for active moving (1-8 month old) babies (not kids....). But that will require you to pre-focus first. But similarly, on a compact P&S, you can always 1/2 press first to focus, then when the action is sharp in the frame again, press the shutter down.

Of course what I mentioned may not be applicable in some situations too...

*Just my 2 cents*

steventay said:
my kid cannot sit still so i need a camera if possible those ultra portable type to be able to capture image fast.

this is for my wife to use.

Get the Olympus E-PM1. It is essentially a same camera as the E-P3 but without the bells and whistles. Its almost as small as a P&S camera. Takes great photos. AF is as fast as E-P3, almost as fast as E-M5. Lots of art filters to play around for some artistic shots ala instagram. Allows you to learn how to use with the manual mode. Most of all, it's not expensive, and you start with m4/3 system where the lens you have can be used for other cameras in future should you decide to move up once you have acquired your skills.

If one day if you decided you don't want it and want to sell it here, let me know. I'll buy it from you.

steventay said:
Hi all,

Try using fuji instax the flash will catch their attention and the photo makes them happy. Did that to my niece and nephew.

If not try shooting under the sun try keeping your shutter speed at 1/125 and above by using flash.

Actually canon camera has very fast focusing and pns need very minimal focusing was wondering what make it cannot make it.

my Ixus is a super old model... Ixus 70

which ultra compact camera can do all this?

Don't like fuji brand.

Prefer more reliable brand like Sony, Panasonic, Canon, Nikon

steventay said:

Don't like fuji brand.

Haha at first you say don't like Sony, now you say you prefer Sony, which one is it?

Don't like fuji brand.

Since money no object, 2 choice,
1. Sony RX100 ... Carl Zeiss f1.8 lens, 28-100 zoom, 20.9mega pixel 1" Eximor Cmos sensor (most probably same sensor as Nikon V1)
2. Canon G1X ... 28-112 zoom, 1.5" 14mp Cmos sensor

or wait for Panasonic's impending LX7 to be announced 6 July. or Olympus XZ1 replacement.

for me, i still think EPM1 is best choice with interchangeable lens option.... and probably cheaper than all the above.

Last edited:
milez said:
1. Sony RX100 ... Carl Zeiss f1.8 lens, 28-100 zoom, 20.9mega pixel 1" Eximor Cmos sensor (most probably same sensor as Nikon V1)

or wait for Panasonic's impending LX7 to be announced 6 July. or Olympus XZ1 replacement.

for me, i still think EPM1 is best choice with interchangeable lens option.... and probably cheaper than all the above.

If money no issue, Leica X2 :bsmilie:

http://en.leica-camera.com/photography/compact_cameras/x2/

Hi all,

What you need is a compact camera with manual control to manually force the shutter speed to be faster then the kids usually 1/250 and higher if hyperactive. In a lot of cases you will get underexposed pics but often fix-able using editing software.

You be looking at cameras with f/1.8 to F/2.8 but the problem with these cameras is that they lose largest aperture when zoom at subject.

Edit: Samsung releases the F/1.4 EX2 http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/03/samsungreleasesex2f

Last edited:

Nikon V1 is too highly price compare to entry DSLR camera.

Sony DSC RX100 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Aperture range
Sony DSC-RX100 F1.8-4.9 i cannot find this in canon singapore website Sony Cyber-shot & Digital Still Camera : Sony Singapore : Sony Singapore
Canon G1 X F2.8-5.8 this is powershot series
Olympus XZ-1 F1.8-2.5
Canon S100 F2.0-5.9 this one is small.

LX3 have shuttery priority and Aperture priority.

i think LX7 should have too but don't what will be the price like.

With interchangeable lens option will consider bulky for my wife to use.

for me personally i will prefer to use Nikon DSLR D7000

What you need is a compact camera with manual control to manually force the shutter speed to be faster then the kids usually 1/250 and higher if hyperactive. In a lot of cases you will get underexposed pics but often fix-able using editing software.

You be looking at cameras with f/1.8 to F/2.8 but the problem with these cameras is that they lose largest aperture when zoom at subject.

any slim compact camera can do this?