Recommend Camera Bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyncGuy

Sep 14, 2011
Earth
Ok, I can't seem to find a thread with a nice recommendation for a newbie.. :p

Basically I'm still new in the DSLR world and need some help in making my step into this world "smoother".. Hee!

I'm lost as to which bags to get.. So many, some expensive, some cheap but doesn't suit my requirements. So lost, dun even know where to begin so as to have a rough budget even.. :(

What I will be carrying:

1) A 13"-14" laptop
2) Pentax K-r with kit lens and spare battery
3) Sanyo Xacti CG102 and charger
4) 2.5" portable HDD
5) Cleaning equipments

In the near future:

1) An extra lens or 2 (not those zoom lens, maybe Tamron 28-175mm?)
2) A portable battery pack (think those with 10,000mah)

I would want a sling bag. I don't need to know exactly what/which model to get. I just need a shortlist of 3-4 sling bags for me to check out.

Thanks... :)

Edit:
Ok, found out about Billingham brand? And wow!!! Nice!! But... I scared to expensive. So, maybe anything that is max $200? I think that should be an ok budget right? :)

Last edited:
can try going TK foto or Cathay photo to have a look they have a lot of bags to choose
:)

I see... Ok!! That's a good recommendation! At least i know where to go. Thank you! :)

In my experience i always recommend these two bags.

shoulder bag --> "Nikon" 190AW.
backpack --> Fastpack 250.

and both should be below your $200 budget. Each has their own uses so is a good point to start from when picking a bag.

Another place for bags would be Orient Photo at SLS. They even have off brands if you are looking for something different.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend a sling bag with those items..... unless you have tried it personally and find the weight manageable.

Hee! Thank you for all the recommendations!

Well, weight-wise, it's not really a problem as I am quite used to lugging it around. Backpack just don't fit me right.. I look funny with backpacks.. Haha!

Billingham Hadley Pro will not fit your 14" laptop I think.

That said, I've been using a Hadley Pro for 4 years and during that time I've tried loads of other shoulder bags (I prefer shoulder bags because they're just... Faster to access filters, change lens, etc, even those hybrid FastPacks are slow in comparison), nothing comes close. It's really just the way the Billingham feels, the intuitive way in which you can get the things you want to, put them the way you want them, how it's the perfect size, doesn't have velcro to make noisy noises.. I guess one can only understand this when they use the bag themselves. The only issue, as I always say, is that it can't carry a 14" laptop comfortably. You can however, slip an iPad at the back behind the camera insert, which is what I always do.

Last edited:

Well, weight-wise, it's not really a problem as I am quite used to lugging it around. Backpack just don't fit me right.. I look funny with backpacks.. Haha!

when i started out i also thought like u, backpack looks funny, i started out w a Nova from lowepro brought it along to BKK for my trip...man, it was a headache, so difficult to get thru crowds to the extend i dun feel like bringing my cam out...
at the end of the day i decided to try backpack, i got myself kata 467i, loving it since den, but im thinking of upgrading to a bigger 1 probably like streetwalker harddrive or computrekker, gear is increasing, need more space

alancwr said:
when i started out i also thought like u, backpack looks funny, i started out w a Nova from lowepro brought it along to BKK for my trip...man, it was a headache, so difficult to get thru crowds to the extend i dun feel like bringing my cam out...
at the end of the day i decided to try backpack, i got myself kata 467i, loving it since den, but im thinking of upgrading to a bigger 1 probably like streetwalker harddrive or computrekker, gear is increasing, need more space

Hey,I know what you mean at times but I think I would love to give it a try... I only carry my laptop out once awhile.. :) It's more like just in case. If not, I would be filling the laptop compartment with some papers.. Haha! More like a multi-purpose compartment which will be able to fill a laptop.. :)

SyncGuy said:
Hey,I know what you mean at times but I think I would love to give it a try... I only carry my laptop out once awhile.. :) It's more like just in case. If not, I would be filling the laptop compartment with some papers.. Haha! More like a multi-purpose compartment which will be able to fill a laptop.. :)

No issues it's up to individual
The reason why I planing to get a bag w laptop compartment is I like to travel a lot so it's an option for me to hand carry up the airplane

I just bought a D7000 nikon DSLR and 18-105 lens.I was new, in DSLR world and I
need a flash light. Please , give me your advice? What mode , should I buy ?

I just bought a D7000 nikon DSLR and 18-105 lens.I was new, in DSLR world and I
need a flash light. Please , give me your advice? What mode , should I buy ?

How come you post in this thread? :confused:
Your question like not related to camera bag :)
You mean external flash for your camera? What is your budget?
1) <$200: Yongnuo
2) 200-350: Nissin or SB600
3) 350-500: SB700 or used SB800
4) 500+: SB900

These are just my choices and definitely not conclusive! :)

The reason why I planing to get a bag w laptop compartment is I like to travel a lot so it's an option for me to hand carry up the airplane

Yeah that's a consideration.
If only Thinktank made a smaller version of the streetwalker HD that also had a laptop compartment :)
I don't really like the other brands/models.

Yeah that's a consideration.
If only Thinktank made a smaller version of the streetwalker HD that also had a laptop compartment :)
I don't really like the other brands/models.

yeah...the hd is expensive...its selling for like 200 in BnS...another option is lowepro computrekker aw though, tml gonna drop by funan and look ard before i actually pull the trigger...

BTW thanks very much for the tips u gave for my landscape/night shoot...i went back and i tried again its much better now, though its not pro standard but still its a step forward...if u want to see can go night photography sub forum to see :) give me more tips :)

SyncGuy said:

Trust some of us, bro. With that weight u want to carry around, sling bag is not for you. Your shoulder confirm break.

I been through that and now using kata 466i. It's a world of difference, I tell u.

alancwr said:

Having a laptop compartment is useful. U can put some papers, map, a book, even a t-shirt. No need to only use it for laptop.

Whatever bag u using, always get one that can carry a water bottle. Imagine yr bag cannot fit a water bottle, how r u going to carry the water?

donut88 said:
Having a laptop compartment is useful. U can put some papers, map, a book, even a t-shirt. No need to only use it for laptop.

Whatever bag u using, always get one that can carry a water bottle. Imagine yr bag cannot fit a water bottle, how r u going to carry the water?

Haha! Coz I'm like a hamster I think.. I rarely drink water when I'm out. :p

Ooh well... Yea, I won't be carrying my laptop out very often, it's more for when I need to. Other than that, can always use it to put other stuffs.. :)

Agree! Better to carry the bottle outside your bag, not together in the same compartment with ur camera and lens.

I also advocate getting a bag with a water bottle pocket. However, at a pinch, one can use a cheap carabiner to secure the water bottle loop to the outside of the pack. I always have two carabiners on my backpacks.

But don't put the water bottle inside the pack as a precaution.

I am looking for a sling bag that can put a4 size book, d700 with grip and 24-70mm lens, some belonging and water bottles. Any recommendation? So far, I am looking at Crumpler MDh8

Status
Not open for further replies.