Recommend between Canon 550D n Nikon D3100

Terence Ho

Jan 4, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, Can recommend me a camera between Canon 550D n Nikon D3100?
Basically I found interest in DSLR n I love Bokah effect but I'm more to manual focus. But I'm looking for a camera that for future investment and this my 1st DSLR!

But compare to Nikon, it slightly does a bit better in low light.

Does more AF Points more better for manual forcus?

Basically I found interest in DSLR n I love Bokah effect but I'm more to manual focus. But I'm looking for a camera that for future investment and this my 1st DSLR!

Both cameras can do what you want actually. Lenses play a larger role in the type of image you want than the camera body. Don't just stick to these 2 brands, consider more brands before deciding on one. For example, Sony has a lot of old Minolta lenses which you can use as well.

When you do manual focus, larger viewfinder will help instead of AF points that only functions when Auto Focus is on...

You may want to read more about other brands like Pentax, Sony, Olympus etc, all these brands will offer you what you need. Just a matter of preference in terms of ergonomics and other features important to you. Also all these brands have wide range of lens that cater for any kind of photography you want to grow into (it's only the matter of how much you want to spend).

Additional readings on basic photography articles like composition, dof, post processing is also recommended. I suggest you start reading these articles before you really want to get a DSLR.

Also, If you are looking into future investments, I suggest buying stocks instead :bsmilie:

1. We have a thread called "FAQ: What DSLR to get?". It's a sticky in the newbies corner. READ IT.

2. I do not see that you have done any research at all - have you tested the ergonomics? Have you shortlisted why you want these 2 cameras? Have you decided on what is important to you?

3. Have you searched on CS and read the MANY threads that ask what you are asking? Hint: It's part of the ClubSnap Terms of Use that you SEARCH before you post.

4. There is no such thing as "bokeh effect". This is an invented term thrown around by salesmen trying to part n00bs with their cash.

Bokeh Effect - no such thing. Read up into DOF. It had more to do with the type of lens you use rather than the type of camera body you have.

Manual focus - actually... I only use the centre focus point almost 95% of the time... so to me... you give me 100AF point or 1000AF points is the same. Plus, if you are using manual focus, you don't even need that AF focus points... you just twist the focus ring until things get nice and sharp in your viewfinder or live view.

Nikon doing better in low light... true to a certain sense, it had bigger sensor for the APS-C size sensor... but unless you pixel peek, it really don't show that much... I mean I shoot perfectly okay shots at ISO 5000. Depending on how you compose your photo and PP later on.

Why are you supposedly into manual focus? Auto Focus was invented to make things easier. Unless you have manual lenses or some very specific situations (low light) there is no real need for manual focus. Also, recent AF lenses are not meant for manual focus, the throw is very short.
Focus points are an option for you to use when the situation requires it. Depending on your situation and which objects shall be in focus you can select between single or multiple AF points. Both cameras will give a focus confirmation if you use manual focus. Whether this comes from a single or more AF points is up to you and the camera settings.
To be honest: there is no answer. The question is already wrong. See the earlier comments from others here and do some more homework. There is more than Nikon and Canon and there is more than these 2 models. If you need effects in your pictures I guess any recent iPhone and one of the many apps can help. For photography you need a different approach.

Welcome to CS.
Here are my opinion on your queries.

But I'm looking for a camera that for future investment and this my 1st DSLR!
>> Any brand is good now. At normal viewing and printing, they aren't too different.
Look at other brands as well to get better value for your money. There are Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung as well to look at.
Cameras like the Pentax and Sony have on camera shake reduction on the camera bodies.

>>More AF points will not be useful for manual focus.
If you are into MF, consider the Pentax Kr.
Its backward compatible to all its legacy lenses so there are many cheap and good MF lenses to choose. (~40yrs of lenses)
It also has focus confirmation with these lenses and they benefit from its on-camera shake reduction as well. (not all brands do)
Very good high iso performance too.

Today I just went down to Courts can try out but no power. I find that Nikon D3100 when zooming, turning to lens is not as smooth as Canon 550D

Any points to take note when the next time they provide with power?

Last edited:
Today I just went down to Courts can try out but no power. I find that Nikon D3100 when zooming, turning to lens is not as smooth as Canon 550D

Any points to take note when the next time they provide with power?

Doesn't matter about the body, this depends on the lens. You cannot compare camera bodies based on the zooming smoothness of the kit lens.

Then what should I look out for?

Everything listed in the "What DSLR to get?" Sticky and in my first reply to you. Remember, the point of a DSLR is NOT "how smooth the lens zooming is" but rather, being able to switch lenses as needed. What you are doing is equivalent to evaluating cars based on the tires.

Consider this: There are more brands than Nikon and Canon, and most will give you more value for $$$. Do you need tilting LCD screen? Do you need fast AF in liveview? Do you need fast AF in video? Do you need built-in IS/VR? Do you need fast FPS? Which camera feels best in your hands? Which has controls that you feel are easy to understand?

Actually, this is a question you should ask yourself, what should you look out for?

1) Ergonomy of the camera (basically, which camera you feel best in your hand - be it grip design, overall bulk, weigh, even the shutter sound).
2) Menu user interface (which one you find easier to navigate through and get the functions you wanted, or simply, which one works for you).
3) Features (autofocus in movie mode, movie mode, vari-angle LCD, frame rate, high ISO performance, etc etc)
4) number of accessories and lenses available (not really that important if you can see that there are availability of the lenses and accessories that you need and right now, all brands should have quite an adequate collection).
5) Budget - some are more expensive for the same features than others.
6) Must it be DSLR - other formats can or not (eg. mirrorless and SLT)

Like what others had said there are other brands that made very very good cameras too, doesn't really need to stick to only Canon and Nikon. Look at Pentax, Sony, Olympus (DSLR and m4/3 mirrorless), Panasonic and Samsung...

Terence, you are a bit perplexing -- on one hand, being 'more into manual focus' seems to imply you have some experience, yet 'is more AF points better for manual focus?' indicates you have no clue.

As others have already said, ANY of the entry-level models from the major manufacturers will serve you well. If you have some experience with cameras, play around with them at the store, take photos, change settings, go through the menu etc and see which 'makes sense' to you. Read the reviews and comparisons.
If you're not experienced enough to know what you want (e.g. "will I be using this control often while shooting?"), most of this will mean little to you. If that's the case, I'd suggest two paths. If you have the money to burn, just buy one or the other, based on your gut feel. If money is tight, consider buying a cheap used basic kit to work out your shooting style and preferences (buying used has its own set of issues and things to look out for).

There are so many things and question you have to ask yourself and answer yourself if you want. Some or rather most of the usual questions had been listed out by other members already. If you just want a DSLR and dosent care then ill say any ENTRY LEVEL camera are good enough. If you have a boat of cash.. Then just get anything you want. All are great tools and produces good images if used properly.

"Basically I found interest in DSLR n I love Bokah effect but I'm more to manual focus."
I suggest you to read up some basic photography books and the manual of your camera first. And you might want to start shooting in FULL AUTO mode first. Step by step..slowly..

Last edited:

as a canon user myself, i am really more inclined towards 550D. for more practical reasons as well too. 550D is made in japan fyi, while D3100 is made in thailand... you can check out the reviews on dpreview to get a more accurate picture...

AF-points, as their name suggest, has nothing to do with manual focus... and i am sure after awhile in MF, you will switch back to AF! haha...

evilorgi said:
as a canon user myself, i am really more inclined towards 550D. for more practical reasons as well too. 550D is made in japan fyi, while D3100 is made in thailand... you can check out the reviews on dpreview to get a more accurate picture...

AF-points, as their name suggest, has nothing to do with manual focus... and i am sure after awhile in MF, you will switch back to AF! haha...

How is the country of manufacture for cameras a practical reason for selection?

How is the country of manufacture for cameras a practical reason for selection?

ya, I am intrigued as well... :think:

and what does "Made in Japan" actually define, technically or legally?

made in Japan = better? Hmm don't understand why haha