Recommend between Canon 550D n Nikon D3100

Nikon should change their strategy... and put this instead,

"Design in Japan, Manufactured in Thailand." (with the manufactured in Thailand in very very small print).

lol.

I find that totally irrelevant... Don't care if it is made in Japan, China, Thailand or whatever... as long as quality is good and it do the job, I am fine with it.

as a canon user myself, i am really more inclined towards 550D. for more practical reasons as well too. 550D is made in japan fyi, while D3100 is made in thailand... you can check out the reviews on dpreview to get a more accurate picture...
These reviews do not mention anything with regards to manufacturing location. How is this relevant anyway..?

Octarine said:
These reviews do not mention anything with regards to manufacturing location. How is this relevant anyway..?

Maybe to him made in Japan = good

luckyorange said:
Maybe to him made in Japan = good

To a lot of people, made in Japan is supposed to mean the use of higher quality materials, but seriously, if two copies of the same thing work the same way with the same results, made in china is as good as any. Maybe perhaps the durability is affected, but nothing can prove that Xd

To a lot of people, made in Japan is supposed to mean the use of higher quality materials, but seriously, if two copies of the same thing work the same way with the same results, made in china is as good as any. Maybe perhaps the durability is affected, but nothing can prove that Xd

Which was the point I was trying to ask. It could just mean that the factory that assembled this item was located in Japan.
If 249 out of 250 parts were sourced overseas, but they all came together at the Japanese factory to be made into the final product, I think it also qualifies as "Made in Japan" :bsmilie:

Actually if the country of origin of the camera actually do play a part... then people would only be getting the FX body of Nikon... because even the D7000 and D300s are all made in Thailand... and most probably many of the lenses are also made in other countries other than Japan.

What I mean is... at this time and age, there really is very little difference between a product being manufactured in whatever country. Even automobile are being assembled and/or manufactured in country like Thailand, Indonesia, China (for internal market mostly), South Africa and Mexico... so I really don't see the reason of that being put in a comparison.

Basically I find that Nikon's camera are more technology more Canon.
When u try to focus using viewfinder, those focus point will light up.
I might get NIKON D5100 instead of Canon 550D. So what do u think?

ultimately you are the one using the camera right? so what we think is that really matter to you?

you asking questions here is worry about making a wrong choice, the truth is there is no right or wrong camera, or best camera per se.

just pick a camera YOU prefer and make the most out of it.

catchlights said:
ultimately you are the one using the camera right? so what we think is that really matter to you?

you asking questions here is worry about making a wrong choice, the truth is there is no right or wrong camera, or best camera per se.

just pick a camera YOU prefer and make the most out of it.

This is the way man haha, don't let other affect you. Just buy the one you think suits you more, or you think its better.

Terence Ho said:

Nikon's fans say.. Buy nikon
Canon's fans say.. Buy canon
Sony's fans say.. Buy sony
Pentax's fans say.. Buy pentax
How?

buy the newest camera technology you can afford.

I agreed with what others had said... but... frankly... what do you mean by focus point lighting up. If that is the proof that one camera brand is better than the other, it is a big joke... anyway, Canon's focus points lighted up too, so was Sony's and Pentax, and Olympus... and I believe all camera brand had one way or other to tell the user that focus had been achieved.

Anyway, if you think D5100 is good enough, get it then. If you think Canon 550D is good enough, then get Canon's 550D, whatever the choice, it is your choice... has nothing to do with any of us.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

True...ultimately you will be the one buying and using.. just pick 1 that you are more comfortable with..
There are many happy user of 550D as well as D5100 too.. so its really up to individuals. Another thing to note is..once you get the hold of it.. soon enough if you are happy with it..u will be happy with it..if not you probably change or upgrade because by then you will know better what you want.
so..right now..back to my point..just get 1 that you are more comfortable with and start using it. Like mentioned all camera are capable of shooting decent nice photos.

When u can't come to a decision, buy both! :D but really, try it for yourself what u like may not be what others like!

intrance said:
Nikon's fans say.. Buy nikon
Canon's fans say.. Buy canon
Sony's fans say.. Buy sony
Pentax's fans say.. Buy pentax
How?

Nikon fan says get canon. Because D5100 no built in motor

It means that the D5100 cannot use Nikon or third party lens without inbuilt motor (will lose all AF capability). But if you are all for manual focus, it should not bother you.

As for Canon... all lenses (except for those that are full manual lenses) have in built motor.