RECOMMEND an SLr for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug3fflux

Feb 21, 2005
West of S'pore
hi guys

thinking of obtaining a relatively good slr with a small budget. dont mind getting second hands, as i am rather new in film photography. been playing with my FZ1 for 2 yrs. dont mind any lens, one that covers a sufficient focal length range will do.

am particularly interested in macro and nature shots, and sunset shots too.

i am really open to all of u guys sincere opinions and suggestions. perhaps those with really good reviews of ur own slrs u use can recc to me.

thanks!!!!!!!! :)

Okay, really depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend around $400-$500, you can get a Canon EOS 30/33 which is an excellent camera for a beginner and intermediate alike...and a 28-70 range lens... If you only have around $300 to spare, then I would suggest getting a canon eos 300 or 66. The rest of the cash you can probably get a decent lens with wide angle to semi tele range... You can also try the Nikon equivalents to these canon models, like the wonderful F80 or the F65 and many others... yeah, so good luck in finding a system that suits you... cheers.. =)

for nature and macro, you may not need 'fast' AF, so you have the 3 main systems to choose from. Look at the Minolta system. Their flash capabilities is the best. Nikon has better build but cost more for less functions.
Canon like to squeeze lotsa mid-hi range features to their entry level models. EOS300X is ideal for begineer.

You might want to venture to nikon too.. the N80's a good choice.... quite ok in focusing, excellent flash control, hardy..

Of if u want to cough up a bit more, the F100's good, can pick them out for aroudn 900 2nd hand i think, last time i checked online here... TCW's sellign them for around 1300 - 1500 if u bargain.. Expensive i know, but trust me.. you'll be using this body for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.

For canons, the EOS5, or 3 they're good.... aroudn 500 - 800 the last time i checked for 2nd hands.

Gd luck

most of the EOS 5 I have checked out are in quite bad condition. Looks like they can last for another year or two.
As most cam are electronics , the lifetime of some components are fixed -- regardless of usage. So if you get a very old model, you likely only get to use it for another few years.Then the cam will be beyond economical repair.

EOS 3 is not for someone to start , it is too complicated and expensive, a decent conditioned one is S$1000+. Also, most of these hi end models are abused a lot becasue used by professionals. Still can get good ones but few and far between.

Open you choice, look at what the entire system can offer you. camera can chanhge but if you go into the 'wrong' system that can't suit your needs, -it will be expensive to change system.

most of all, consider which system you want to get into. like what dreamtheatre mentioned, very expensive to change system.

me from canon camp, so me recommand :

eos50 about $250 :thumbsup: , its the model before eos 30,33.

prefer eos 50 cause it uses ir af assist. no problem with exposure metering when using M42 mount manual lens.

eos 30, 33 uses white led for af assist. needs to compensate exposure when using M42 mount manual lens.

eos 5 also very good :thumbsup: . its the camera that had been in production longest, compare to any other model from canon. but it has a known problem of easy breaking of the command knob, but that beacuse of miss handling :sticktong .

otherwise, the very very solid eos 1 400+ :thumbsup: . would had choose this over my eos50e if not because of the $ different few years back. nut note it does not have pop up flash.

if not, look around for a nikon f4, price came down quite alot, around 400+ in cs b&s. pro camera body. but once and no need to think about upgrading. would have go into nikon system if my sister didnt start off with canon.

finally, my view on getting flim camera, buy a pro camera (very cheap now) + 50mm lens to start with. the only thing to upgrade its your photography skills.

dennis, the price u quote for ur reccs is 2nd hand price? so basically i should get a 50mm lens with a pro body and start with that?

so the reccomendations are canon eos50, eos 5, eos 300X, eos30, eos33, eos300, eos66, nikon f4, f65, N80?

ill be doing my research!

i never fail to get invaluable help from cs!!! thanks guys!

eos 1n is also a good buy. body with or without grip goes for $700 to $1k depending on seller/condition

digitalwise, olympus E300 also can, that is if u want to jump on th e 4/3 bandwagon

EOS50e, the price not much difference from EOS50. U can use eye to do DOF preview by just looking at the small icon at the top left of the camera view finder. U can use eye to select point to focus by looking at the 3 point sensor without dismounting the camera from tripod for example.

Like deniskee brought up, EOS50/e has better Low-light autofocus abilities (EV 0-18, AF assist) then the newer model. AF assist is IR instead of the more intrusive pulses from internal flash. Not very nice if u trying to do street in discreet or shooting timid animal. (Enuf for me to go for the EOS50/e).

Other than that most of the abovementioned models are more than capable of anything. Image stabiliser, Ultra Sonic Motor are quite standard features of Canon even many consumer models. Might have to pay more to have them for their competitive brands.

Also consider the fully electronic mount design:
http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/co...icDtlAct&fcategoryid=151&modelid=7300&id=2639
http://www.photonotes.org/reviews/5-50-30/

doug3fflux said:
dennis, the price u quote for ur reccs is 2nd hand price? so basically i should get a 50mm lens with a pro body and start with that?

so the reccomendations are canon eos50, eos 5, eos 300X, eos30, eos33, eos300, eos66, nikon f4, f65, N80?

ill be doing my research!

i never fail to get invaluable help from cs!!! thanks guys!

Personally, I will give eos 500, 300, 888, 88, 66 a skip from canon camp. Not so sure with nikon. Generally, skip all beginner's camera. I find my eos 88 in-adequate within a year.

Inview of $$, intermidiate level cameras is good choice. just watch out for :

1) AF assist light (IR or the irritating white LED)
2) Compatibility with using manual focus lens
3) Ability to change foucing screen and also if screen for doing manual focusing is avialable

If you think you are rough user like me who needs a tough camera body and can squeeze in $200 more than go for the pro body.

1) Buy 1 and dont need to think about upgrading
2) Can change focusing screen and will have screen for manual focusing
3) Very tough body, it is said that if you ever knock a Nikon F4 onto a table, check the table for damages.

OT :
Reason to use manual focus lens on modern electronic camera that has AF capability are as follows :

1) cheaper
2) @ times better resolution than modern lens
3) better build as in full metal body (only $$$ high end mordern lens has it)
4) glass element (only $$$ high end mordern lens has it)
5) have hyper-focus scale/marking on the lens
6) more accurate focusing (modern AF lens goes for speed, so the throw is short, eg focus 0.5m to infinity 90 - 120deg turn end to end, vs 180 - 270deg turn end to end for manual focus lens)

There are dis-advantage of using manual focus lens on modern camera supporting AF :

1) slow focusing
2) more to confirm subject is in focus, but with modern electronic pro camera, you have to many focusing screen to choose from, most brand carry afew types of screen for meant for doing manual focusing, eg, half split circle, quater split circle, micro-prism.

When I started out, my friends (ex pro) advice me to try shoot with the best and cheapest lens, ie 50mm. will inprove my composition. But I went on to get zoom lens instead. 1 year down the road, I got a 50mm lens and try out their advice. Personally, I have to agree with them.

Just my opinion.

You might wanna consider Nikon D70. Espn is holding a MO for this.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=121348

If you are thinking of the price, i'm sure after some time you will know that D70 is really value for money :) (There must be a reason why most people on here has a d70)

Grab it while it lasts!

denniskee said:
most of all, consider which system you want to get into. like what dreamtheatre mentioned, very expensive to change system.

me from canon camp, so me recommand :

eos50 about $250 :thumbsup: , its the model before eos 30,33.

prefer eos 50 cause it uses ir af assist. no problem with exposure metering when using M42 mount manual lens.

eos 30, 33 uses white led for af assist. needs to compensate exposure when using M42 mount manual lens.

eos 5 also very good :thumbsup: . its the camera that had been in production longest, compare to any other model from canon. but it has a known problem of easy breaking of the command knob, but that beacuse of miss handling :sticktong .

otherwise, the very very solid eos 1 400+ :thumbsup: . would had choose this over my eos50e if not because of the $ different few years back. nut note it does not have pop up flash.

if not, look around for a nikon f4, price came down quite alot, around 400+ in cs b&s. pro camera body. but once and no need to think about upgrading. would have go into nikon system if my sister didnt start off with canon.

finally, my view on getting flim camera, buy a pro camera (very cheap now) + 50mm lens to start with. the only thing to upgrade its your photography skills.
EOS 1 = 400+ second hand ???

2nd hand F4 will be nice to have. Respected Pro camera that can still carry its weight.
Also can look one step down, F801S, F90, F80, F100

I am from the dark side so I can only recommend Nikons, but the same advice can be applied to the other brands.

denniskee said:
Yes, 2nd hand eos1 less than 500. Saw it in TCW last month.
oh haha mistaken EOS1 and 1N 1N i see everyone selling $600-$700 :sweat: really dream of getting one seems like very solid cam!

Status
Not open for further replies.