Recommend a value for money Blu-ray player?

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi people, think my Oppo DV-981HD's dying on me ... the playback is beginning to become sluggish and I even tried using the DVD cleaner multiple times but to no avail ...

Anyone can recommend me one which is value for money?

The criteria which I'm looking for are:

1. Region free for Blu-rays and DVDs
2. Decent upscaling for DVD-playback
3. If can read other formats or come with other interfaces, i.e. USB will be a bonus

Thanks in advance!

Hi people, think my Oppo DV-981HD's dying on me ... the playback is beginning to become sluggish and I even tried using the DVD cleaner multiple times but to no avail ...

Anyone can recommend me one which is value for money?

The criteria which I'm looking for are:

1. Region free for Blu-rays and DVDs
2. Decent upscaling for DVD-playback
3. If can read other formats or come with other interfaces, i.e. USB will be a bonus

Thanks in advance!
PS 3 lor...

So far I read, Phillips seems to have the faster load/read time for Blu-ray player. If I recall correctly seeing at courts and HN, the cheapest is 200-300 nowadays.

I just bought the LG BD560, it lets you watch youtube videos via ethernet connection. The best thing however is that it even plays DIVX, MKV 1080P videos from an external drive, and of course its a blueray player.

Should be around $170 at HN.

I got that liao lah ... it couldn't play my Region 1 DVDs ...

aiya, sell away your DVDs lor, i also got a lot of them but don't watch liao since now got blue ray. the feel is so different. 1080p, damn..:lovegrin:

LG BD560 for 170 at HN? I only got the BD550 for that, but I would also recommend the LG series of Blu Ray.

The main reason I got this is because I can put my DVD/Blu Ray into harddisk, then play from the harddisk via USB connection :thumbsup:

However the subtitling for these machines is horrendous. Cannot watch with subtitles :thumbsd:

Actually I got it a bit cheaper from Myers as HN and JB were still trying to sell at $190 at the time! I paid $164 :)