Recommend a polarizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinvin

Dec 29, 2004
Hi, i understand a polarizer makes the sky in your pictures look more blue. would like to know how it affects your shots in other ways. Is there a particular brand of polarizer that is good? pls recommend and state the price. thanks.

Nikon CIR-PL II :thumbsup:

Just saw a thread regarding similar issues...

In layman terms, a polarizer can achieve 3 main things:
1. Enhance colour saturation (esp. skies)
2. Cut amount of reflections
3. Reduce exposure

Most pple use it for 1 and 2, though you have to take note that they work against each other (if i remember correctly).

Adams

spurssy said:
3. Reduce exposure

Most pple use it for 1 and 2, though you have to take note that they work against each other (if i remember correctly).

Adams
The Nikon CIR-PL II cuts only 1/3 stop of light ;)

Me also looking for a good cir. polarizer. Can anyone give roughly what is the price range for good polarizer, are those cheap ones good? example; Vitacon...
:) Thanks in advance..

spurssy said:
Just saw a thread regarding similar issues...

In layman terms, a polarizer can achieve 3 main things:
1. Enhance colour saturation (esp. skies)
2. Cut amount of reflections
3. Reduce exposure

Adams

Thanks for sharing the thread. It's helpful!

Seeker said:
Me also looking for a good cir. polarizer. Can anyone give roughly what is the price range for good polarizer, are those cheap ones good? example; Vitacon...
:) Thanks in advance..

The price of a circular polarizer is dependent on size. It ranges for around $30 for 52/58mm to around $60-70 for 72/77mm. Most common brand is Hoya, not exactly good by professional standards but it serves it purpose. Just remember not to over-saturate, as the polarizers of these brands cut a lot of light, at the extreme end, blue skies turns black.

Professional brands like Nikon, B+W, can cost like $200 plus for 72mm.

Just want to add this bit for those new to this filter and bubbling with much excitment and raring to grab this filter to improve their shots.

Polarisers are basically not cheap as filters goes and when you want to keep to the better brands ( for better built & quality of glass) you can be paying a heck of a lot of $$$.

First thing to consider is what camera are you using? If you are using SLR or DSLR plus you like all those juicy top of the line lens from Nikon (ED) or Canon...etc Then it would make a lot of sense to get the best to compliment it.

If you are using conventional entry level lens with your SLR or DSLR even if it is from Nikon, Canon..etc you hardly will benefit much from it. Hoya's higher end filter would do just fine though their conventional ones are just as good.

But if you are getting something for a semi-pro or a point and shoot. Hoya will more then do the job and in fact some other comparable 3rd party brand will do. This is epecially true if you are using those 1 to 3 megapixel camera ( maybe even those 5mp too) You would not really give much better quality just by using a high quality polariser when your other glasses are not up to "par". Plus with most P&S and semi-pro digital cameras, if you are viewing through the tiny LCD screen and you are shooting in the outdoor, you will find that you can't hardy see the picture clear enough to adjust the polariser to optimum setting to cut glares from the subject or scene. And since this type of camera will not have through the len view when you try to use the optical viewfinder thus you will not be able to see how well the polariser is set too. Not saying you should not buy one but, it will be abit hard for you to use it. You need to be able to see the view THROUGH the filter in order to adjust ( twist the outer rim of the filter) to optimise the polarising effect as it does not happen automatically.

Want to save some money. Try to get one size to fit as many instead of buying one for each lens cover size. In the market, there are actually special filter adapters that does that. Meaning, you can place a 62mm filter over a 52mm lens front by way of this adapter that step up the filter size.

If you own a ultra wide lens and you see yourself shooting alot of scenery with your polariser always on. Then it would be good to invest in a polariser that has the thinner filter rim. This is to prevent your ultra wide lens from capturing the protruding rim of the polariser. ( conventional polariser with the twin frame tend to be thicker in depth and that goes for well known branded ones too) But due to their special marketing "strategy" to make you pay more, they rather make thinner ones as well and charge you more for it. Use less material but still charge you more for it. :confused:

Just my rant......

sammy888 said:
Want to save some money. Try to get one size to fit as many instead of buying one for each lens cover size. In the market, there are actually special filter adapters that does that. Meaning, you can place a 62mm filter over a 52mm lens front by way of this adapter that step up the filter size.

How much on average does this special filter costs? I read somewhere that such step-up method actually reduces vignetting also. What do u think?

Adams

spurssy said:
How much on average does this special filter costs? I read somewhere that such step-up method actually reduces vignetting also. What do u think?

Adams
Yes it does....I wrote that sometime ago in another thread. I was thinking of putting it in here but....thought adding too much details will lead to more confusion heh.

I am not sure how much it cost these days. I bought mine many years ago. I paid about S$11-18 if I can recall it roughly. Not that expensive. Definitely cheaper then buying many various lens size CPs.

spurssy said:

Adams

Yep, that's why originally when Nikon launched their 77mm CIR-PL, it was a 77-82mm thread. To reduce the vignetting on WAs.

espn said:
Yep, that's why originally when Nikon launched their 77mm CIR-PL, it was a 77-82mm thread. To reduce the vignetting on WAs.

What do u mean 77-82? double diameter?

Adams

spurssy said:
What do u mean 77-82? double diameter?

Adams
The screw on thread is 77mm to fit the len, and then it steps up to the rotating ring size of 82mm, so there's prevention of vignetting at the wide cos the filter is 82mm wide infront.

Status
Not open for further replies.