Recommend a P&S for 10 year old

samshio

Sep 6, 2010
can recommend me a p&s camera for my 10yr old son ?

budget around $200-300.
easy to use
good IQ and low light ability
no need to be super tough, but at least a bit durable for use by kids.

Thanks

Olympus Tough cameras or similar from other brands like Panasonic and Pentax.

If you want my opinion, get those $69 digital camera for time being because in all likelihood when your son gets his smartphone...chances are the smartphone camera will be the only one he uses.

for kids? any camera that's Shock and Waterproof.

the Nikon AW, Panasonic FT, Canon D or if you want something cool... the Sony TX20..

thanks all. will think abt it.

any camera of the above that has a good IQ ?

Is he the one who wish to have a camera? Or is it u who just wish to get him one to get him exposed to photography?

If its the former, you need to know if he's really passionate to learn or if its just an impulse request, which can be quite hard to tell from that age.

If its the latter, spend as you deem fit.

Either way, I would still suggest you get one of the cheaper ones, as you dunno how long this interest will last. And yes, factor in the smartphone factor too. Don't get those really slim n compact ones, it may just slip from his hands. Challenger always have compact models going for <$100.

Image quality among compacts are really similar for the same price point, thou I personally prefer the colour from canon's jpeg algorithm.

Disposable camera can? Can find $10 ones also..

Hand phone camera also can right?

samshio said:
can recommend me a p&s camera for my 10yr old son ?

budget around $200-300.
easy to use
good IQ and low light ability
no need to be super tough, but at least a bit durable for use by kids.

Thanks

The prices and models are at a constant change.
Best advice for you is to go a few shops to check out, best denki, Harvey Norman, carre four, courts, mustafa.

Maybe any entry level camera will do. Since you have not indicated any genre that he may be interested in. For example, Canon's Powershot A series or Ixus. Being colorful, kids like them too. I am not sure how this is better than a handphone, in holding their interest.

Maybe any entry level camera will do. Since you have not indicated any genre that he may be interested in. For example, Canon's Powershot A series or Ixus. Being colorful, kids like them too. I am not sure how this is better than a handphone, in holding their interest.

If only the Nokia 40+ megapixel phone was at least an android phone...i think the exec who pushed symbian for the OS must be "buried in concrete" right now. Easier and i think cheaper to persuade child to choose it as camera smartphone. At that age, generally easier for parent to explain megapixels.

Last edited: