Recommend a Light Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptyap

Apr 10, 2007
Chapel Hill, US
www.flickr.com
Hi, I am setting up my studio. I wonder if a light meter is really necessary? Which specific brand and model of light meter would you recommend? Thanks. :)

For studio I guess you would use incident metering.
I think the Sekonic L-308 and L-358 would work.

I use the L-358 (not for studio use), and find it excellent :D

minolta has good range. reliable too. learn to use one properly is important too.

I recommend either a Sekonic or a Minolta light meter. Both are good and reliable. Not sure if Minolta is still making light meters though. Prices vary quite a bit depending on the features. There are a few other brands such as Gossen, Polaris, Spectra, etc. but I have never used them extensively, so I can't give any comment.

As a long time Minolta user, I can vouch it is the best in terms of ergonomics and general ease of use. Recommended models (simply because of battery type) - Autometer IV F or Autometer V F (what I'm using) or the Flashmeter IV onwards. Both can measure flash exposures and ambient readings. Out of production but you can pick one up at eBay for about US$150 used. The lower end Sekonics are OK but go with the higher model versions which I believe can sync with external radio triggers.

The top end Sekonic meters have built in pocket wizard triggers, some other models like the L-358 can be upgraded with a pocket wizard module. Its good if you have a wireless flash setup and want to trigger them while metering flash. Are there any other ways for meters to trigger wireless flash setups? Kenko/Tokina has taken over production of Minolta lightmeters. http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/meter.html

minolta no longer sell new light meter. only 2nd hand or very old stock available. note, since digital age, they been selling less ans less unit of light meter. minolta has been accquired by sony.

sekonic work fine.

The top end Sekonic meters have built in pocket wizard triggers, some other models like the L-358 can be upgraded with a pocket wizard module. Its good if you have a wireless flash setup and want to trigger them while metering flash. Are there any other ways for meters to trigger wireless flash setups? Kenko/Tokina has taken over production of Minolta lightmeters. http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/meter.html

Thanks! I was wondering what happened to Minolta meters. :) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.