Recommend a lens hood

Chillibomber

Jun 29, 2012
Singapore
Appreciate recommendation for a lens hood for tokina 28-70mm (77mm dia). Any brands worth considering? Thanks much.

It's tough to find the original hood that comes with this lens nowadays, I remembered the one I bought last time comes with the hood. On cropped cameras it would be safe to use any generic 77mm screw on hood but to be sure, test it on the spot to make sure there's no vignetting.

hi try using a 77 to 82 step up ring first and then get a screw-on 82mm wide hood ..... and stick to using 82mm lens cap

Thanks much for advising.

I lost the original hood to this old lens which wasnt very effective anyway (round and short type). Without the hood, flare was quite prominent. Will be using the Tokina lens on my 5D mk2. May i ask the purpose of stepping up to 82mm? Is it to prevent vignetting at 28mm wide? Need to look out for any brands or a generic hood would do?

Just a heads up. If you're planning to buy those screw-on petal hoods, make sure the front end of the lens doesn't rotate with focus. Otherwise you'll look like a goober when focusing.

yes to prevent vignette

i mean use your imagination and experiment here ..... after stepping up to 82mm you can just buy a 2nd hand cheapo 82mm filter .... unscrew and throw away the filter glass and just use the blank filter ring on the step up ring as a mini hood .... or even stack 2 of these blank filters

Thanks for the tips, Ed9119.

Hi digitalpimp, thanks for the heads-up. No problem with this lens as the front does not rotate when focusing.

Do u really need a hood? For flares, just tilt or use your hand to shield.

Maybe if u really need one, can try BnS

Yes, i think i need one for this lens. Not easy to take with 1 hand cos this lens + body is heavy.