Recommend a good french/Italian restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hello hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is just round the corner and I intend to bring her for a nice dinner..... my budget is capped at $50 per pax inclusive of at least entree and main course. Any restaurants to recommend ? I've narrowed down my choices to Au de Salut or Canteen by Les Amis. Of course, cheaper and better restaurants would be good .

There goes my Manfrotto.. :bsmilie:

Does your budget include wine?
If you drive, there are some nice restaurants along Bukit Timah Road, near the Sixth Avenue junction. I remember there is a traditional italian one, the chef (aka the boss) is a real italian, he would come to your table and take your order, and then prepare all for you. But you must try to understand his Italian-style English.

Pete's Place at Grand Hyatt. Great Italian cuisine.

i must absolutely, absolutely recommend Buko Nero at Tanjong Pagar Road, affordable award-winning italian/asian-fusion. however, it's next to impossible to get a reservation on short notice. :)

Chez La Mamy is a small, cosy French restaurant at Ann Siang Road. great food, nice decor, open-air courtyard seating available but i suggest staying indoors. dinner reservations recommended.

Pontini's at Copthorne Grand (Havelock Road) is also quite nice and cosy. Authentic Italian stuff.

But not so sure about the $50 cap though... ;p

Yeah... $50 with no wine.

Thanks for the feeback so far.

I'm leaning towards french, since we have not tried it. Italian is nice, but I would like to stay away from pastas and pizzas. I've tried pete's place, good food at a reasonable price.

Just to let you know, Salut has a set lunch at $22+++ which is stupendous value . Look at their website. But of course, lunch is a bit anti climax for a birthday, their dinner is pricey man.

I've added Senso and Pierside to my list as well. Its this Sunday, so I gotta make my decision quick.

jbma said:
Pete's Place at Grand Hyatt. Great Italian cuisine.

U can try Spaghetti kitchen at Tanglin Mall. No frills but the pasta is great.

Pete's place is pricey and pasta is good too. Pizza is not so fantastic

I would recommend Sistina's or Michelangelo's at Holland Village. Sistina's is slightly cheaper but the pasta is excellent and the venue is romantic. Michelangelo's is slightly more expensive and European/Aussie fusion rather than French/Italian.

Hope this helps!

Marc, if you have an Amex credit card, you can get 1 for 1 main course at Sistinas. I usually take advantage of that offer as it is very worth it.

Give Canteen by Les Amis a miss. Not worth all the hype. Buko Nero is good, but as varf said, you've got to book like months in advance. There's this little French place at Upper Bt Timah, a few doors away from Silver Cross Clinic along Al Ahmeen that stretch there, not bad food.

sistina, da paolo, michaelangelos ......no doubts ;)

is sabatini's still around ah? or closed liao..that is the BESTEST restaurant i've ever had...but then again.... price....erm.... :cry:

I think this place is underrated. Decent prices ($20-$30 entrees) and great food...

Bacco Rstnt, 501 Bt Timah Rd #01-01 Cluny Ct
Tel: 6465 5108

My old favorite is Porta Porta, near Changi prison. run by a husband and wife team. I recommend the tasting menu. Eclectic furnishings....

Porta Porta
Tel: 6545 3108
971 Upper Changi Rd

Their son runs another one in Stanley Street, the menu is different and slightly pricier... same sort of off the wall furnishings...

Porta Porta
5 Stanley Street (off Cecil Street)
Tel: 6222 7461

And for someplace out of the ordinary, try La Vela out on Jurong Island. I think dinner is only once a month and they have a tasting menu with wine included. It's a bit beyond the budget you stated though. They are open for lunch daily.

I quite enjoyed dining under the glow of the refinery stacks, quite etheral. You can almost smell the methane in the air.

http://www.sibconsulting.com/lavela/lavela_home.htm

Terence said:
Their son runs another one in Stanley Street, the menu is different and slightly pricier... same sort of off the wall furnishings...

Porta Porta
5 Stanley Street (off Cecil Street)
Tel: 6222 7461

just to add, Porta Porta at Stanley Street is extremely busy during lunch but fantastic for quiet dinners, being in the Shenton area and all. i'd recommend the calamari and the squid-ink ravioli; also, the fish soup is great if you like hearty soups.

My all time favorite is Vis-a-Vis in upper Bukit Timah Road. It serves French cuisine. A little over 50 when you include ++. But for this you have

Starters
Soup
Main course
Dissert
Coffee/Tea

and I must say, very innovative.

The italian restaurant near sixth avenue is called Roma. Was started by a italian (valentino - a ferrari and F1 freak!) guy with a chinese wife> The sam restaurant is still there but I no longer goes there. Valentino is now is a place off sixth avenue. His restaurant is called Cantina. Good food.

But for a romantic dinner, I think Vis-a-Vis is a lot better!

student said:
My all time favorite is Vis-a-Vis in upper Bukit Timah Road. It serves French cuisine. A little over 50 when you include ++. But for this you have

Starters
Soup
Main course
Dissert
Coffee/Tea

and I must say, very innovative.

The italian restaurant near sixth avenue is called Roma. Was started by a italian (valentino - a ferrari and F1 freak!) guy with a chinese wife> The sam restaurant is still there but I no longer goes there. Valentino is now is a place off sixth avenue. His restaurant is called Cantina. Good food.

But for a romantic dinner, I think Vis-a-Vis is a lot better!
I like both Vis-a-Vis and Roma, reasonable price and good atmosphere.Roma is slightly better choice, because it has some tables outside, so after dinner, you can move to sit outside and sweet talk the whole night until the shop close. :lovegrin:

Phildate said:
I would recommend Sistina's or Michelangelo's at Holland Village. Sistina's is slightly cheaper but the pasta is excellent and the venue is romantic. Michelangelo's is slightly more expensive and European/Aussie fusion rather than French/Italian.

Parking at Holland Village is usually a bit of a problem in the evenings if you're driving. With the closure of some car parks, the situation seems to have worsened a little.

Parking at Holland Village is usually a bit of a problem in the evenings if you're driving. With the closure of some car parks, the situation seems to have worsened a little
just park at the multi storey carpark & walk across

Marc.
no japanese/korean food? Gyu-kaku newly open at CHJIMES. just walk pass a few days back and the price were pretty reasonable especially the wagyu beef set (yes, I'm tempted! will certainly drop by oneday)

otherwise you may try this small but cozy french eatery Le Bistrol
Address: #01-06 Breezeway in Katong, 451 Joo Chiat Road. Tel: 6447 0018
Open for dinner only everyday from 6.30 till around 10pm.

good value for money, friendly service & no corkage charge :)

p.s: HEI is directly opposite .. you could indulge furthur in heavenly chocolates

Thanks everyone..... . No one seems to recommend the restaurants that I have selected, maybe its just good on paper, not sure.

I appreciate all the recommendations, now I have to sieve through it!

come to InterContinental's Restarant, Olive Tree Restarant, we are having special promotions during Valentine's Day. OR u can join us during our Sunday Branch Valentine Day Special, we will be having lots of food at the buffet and we will have chefs at stations to prepare certain speciality for u~

at the oyster station u will see me there then... lol.... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.