Recommend a good french/Italian restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
prego. dunno if still around

I'm not sure whether Les Amis is still open or not. I've heard rumours of it closing cos the main chef has left or something like that.

Prismatic said:
I'm not sure whether Les Amis is still open or not. I've heard rumours of it closing cos the main chef has left or something like that.

They're still open. Adrian Quek (the main chef) left some time ago already, but the quality (and great French ambience) of the restaurants remain. But wayyyy out of the original thread author's budget. For the outlet at SBG (Les Amis Au Jardin), prices start at $108 +++ (no wine). :faint:

marcwang said:
Hello hello,

My girlfriend's birthday is just round the corner and I intend to bring her for a nice dinner..... my budget is capped at $50 per pax inclusive of at least entree and main course. Any restaurants to recommend ? I've narrowed down my choices to Au de Salut or Canteen by Les Amis. Of course, cheaper and better restaurants would be good .

There goes my Manfrotto.. :bsmilie:

where is this Au de Salut? I checked phone directory for business but cannot find.

thanks

Au Petit Salut is in the Holland Village area, along the same stretch as Michaelangelo's and Original Sin. Hope this helps.

44 Jln Merah Saga, #01-54
Tel: 64751976

tot it's Justin Quek ... hmmm
Papilio said:
They're still open. Adrian Quek (the main chef) left some time ago already, but the quality (and great French ambience) of the restaurants remain. But wayyyy out of the original thread author's budget. For the outlet at SBG (Les Amis Au Jardin), prices start at $108 +++ (no wine). :faint:

HN31 said:
Au Petit Salut is in the Holland Village area, along the same stretch as Michaelangelo's and Original Sin. Hope this helps.

44 Jln Merah Saga, #01-54
Tel: 64751976

thanks !!!! :D

For italian - my fav is Senso.... fresh ingredient with constantly changing menu. I got a free tiramisu when my wife (then my gf) mention to the waiter...
I heard the one at Goldhill (can't rem the name) is very good....

For French, i think generally overrated in SG. If you are a big eater, choose italian for better value.

Astin said:
Does your budget include wine?
If you drive, there are some nice restaurants along Bukit Timah Road, near the Sixth Avenue junction. I remember there is a traditional italian one, the chef (aka the boss) is a real italian, he would come to your table and take your order, and then prepare all for you. But you must try to understand his Italian-style English.

Is it Casa de Roma's? That's quite good and reasonable. They have excellent pizzas. You can check their website out: www.casaroma.com.sg

I would strong recommand Porta Porta, near Changi prison. run by a husband and wife team. very cosy place and friendly people! call them and said that you are having a dinner with a very special person! and they will do a surprise for u! they did for me, that how i got my wife!

yymun said:
I would strong recommand Porta Porta, near Changi prison. run by a husband and wife team. very cosy place and friendly people! call them and said that you are having a dinner with a very special person! and they will do a surprise for u! they did for me, that how i got my wife!

thanks for the input.... hmmmm.... so you got to go back to porta porta for your wedding anniversary celebrations? ;)

yymun said:

Yes...I will second Porta Porta...It's a nice and quaint little place.The food is great...feels very authentic, they serve a really good squid ink pasta and their tiramisu is awesome...

Another Great italian place would Zambuca,it's actually a subsidary of Michangelo....not too bad.great ambience.It's at Pan Pac, and opposite Pan Pac at Marina Mandrain there is Bologna,which serves traditional bolognese fair...

For French...It has to be between St Julien and St Pierre,though St Pierre leans more to a more modern fusion feel,lots of jap influence. Les saisson is not too bad as well. If you want really classica french,it would have to be L'aigle Dor at Duxton Hotel.

One up and coming French restaurant would be Ember at Hotel 1929...pretty nice place.Local Young chef helms it there...

have fun!=)

Status
Not open for further replies.