Recommend a general-use wideangle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sausage

Feb 1, 2002
At home
www.singaporeanimenews.net
I'm currently looking for a relatively cheap wideangle lens for a Nikon F80, for travel photography. No special demands, and I guess anything in the region of 20-28mm would be fine.

The thing is, I already have a Sigma 10-20mm DX for my DSLR and can't use it on the F80 without vignetting, and I have no wish to splash another $800+ for a non-dx lens of similar focal range.

Can anyone recommend one?

Sausage said:
I'm currently looking for a relatively cheap wideangle lens for a Nikon F80, for travel photography. No special demands, and I guess anything in the region of 20-28mm would be fine.

The thing is, I already have a Sigma 10-20mm DX for my DSLR and can't use it on the F80 without vignetting, and I have no wish to splash another $800+ for a non-dx lens of similar focal range.

Can anyone recommend one?
How about 24-85/2.8-4? I think it is a useful lens.

vote for tammy 17-35 f2.8-4 as well. good lens + very wide for SLR :thumbsup:

chengsing said:
i too vote for tamron 17-35 f2.8-4
Same same.. i vote Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4..
just got a new one a few wks ago, and already travelled with it..

(btw, it appears tat Tamron dropped the retail price of the 17-35.. maybe coz newer models were released..)

Sausage said:
How heavy is the 17-35? It looks like quite a high end lens.

if you are talking about nikon 17-35 then its heavy and very high end. but for tamron i think its pretty alright with a price range of around 600 new or 400+/- 2hand

My favourite is the prime 24mm f2.8 when I was using the F80 :)

Aneurysm said:
My favourite is the prime 24mm f2.8 when I was using the F80 :)

Would agree with the reccomendation of a 24mm prime. Best quality so far. And at 2nd hand pricing, should be abt $400 or less.

Does the lens vignette severely at all focal lengths? I remember reading somewhere that some have ventured into using this lens on film at focal lengths of about 16/17-20mm without vignetting becoming disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.