Recommend a Flim Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

extreme2

Jan 18, 2002
Lion City
extreme2.clubsnap.org
Can anyone recommend an affordable Flim Scanner. Not those flatbed scanner with flim/negative adapter.

How much will those scanner cost?

ie. Nikon, Canon, Minolta etc... :angel:

Acer has one that's cheap ~$650 and quite highly rated but it couldn't "remove" dust though.

Originally posted by extreme2

Hopefully to get something cheap n good if possible... <$1000 :embrass:

If you can stretch to $1200 or thereabouts, the Nikon Coolscan IV ED is a good choice. There's also a Canon model at around that price range which is pretty good. Adam is using that, I think. :)

Dust removal technologies like ICE and FARE are very useful and saves time in photoshop, removing them manually.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

If you can stretch to $1200 or thereabouts, the Nikon Coolscan IV ED is a good choice. There's also a Canon model at around that price range which is pretty good. Adam is using that, I think. :)

Dust removal technologies like ICE and FARE are very useful and saves time in photoshop, removing them manually.

Regards
CK

I just want to clarify...

The one that I own is Canonscan FS 4000 US and it currently retails @ abt $1.6k. The other lower Canon model, i.e. FS 2720 does not support FARE. However if you can spare another $200, then go for Coolscan IV ED...it supports batch scanning and ICE and there're quite a number of dudes here who own it...;)

Originally posted by AdamGoi

I just want to clarify...

The one that I own is Canonscan FS 4000 US and it currently retails @ abt $1.6k. The other lower Canon model, i.e. FS 2720 does not support FARE. However if you can spare another $200, then go for Coolscan IV ED...it supports batch scanning and ICE and there're quite a number of dudes here who own it...;)

So the recommendation will be the Nikon Coolscan IV ED...

$1200 is it from CP?:)

Hi,

I am using Acer Scanwit 2720s. No Digital Ice, so touching up the dust and scratches in PS is a real pain. The performance is good enough for me, but I have not tried any other scanners for comparison.

Acer has a newer model with DigitalIce some time ago - ScanWit 2740s. However, I could not find this product on their website anymore, though the online shop www.eacer.com still lists it for US$499. You can still find this product on some US online stores. The price is about US$470.

For the 2720s, the price in US is about $369 on www.eacer.com, but you can get it for US$269 on ebay from a seller called johnyfool. I got mine from him 10 months ago for US$280.

Here's a sample of a scanned picture using 2720s:

7138612-4deb-0200015A-.jpg

You can get the higher resolution version (1200X812) here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/368791/original

Hope this helps.

-Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi,

I am using Acer Scanwit 2720s. No Digital Ice, so touching up the dust and scratches in PS is a real pain. The performance is good enough for me, but I have not tried any other scanners for comparison.

Acer has a newer model with DigitalIce some time ago - ScanWit 2740s. However, I could not find this product on their website anymore, though the online shop www.eacer.com still lists it for US$499. You can still find this product on some US online stores. The price is about US$470.

For the 2720s, the price in US is about $369 on www.eacer.com, but you can get it for US$269 on ebay from a seller called johnyfool. I got mine from him 10 months ago for US$280.

You can get the higher resolution version (1200X812) here:

http://www.pbase.com/image/368791/original

Hope this helps.

-Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the suggestion. But Acer Computer (Singapore) Pte Ltd does not carried any film scanner locally. As for getting the item from ebay is kind of risky for such item that don't carry any local or international warranty. There will be problem servicing the item locally if there's problem, since Acer Singapore don't carried the product.

Can anyone enlighten me about Digital ICE3™ and FARE technology. Which is better?

Have any use Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II before and how much it cost? ;p

hi.. FYI, my fren qouted me $745 for the 2720. i'm also quited interested to get.. but pocket dun allows me yet.. sigh..

$1100 is possible. I believe one or two of our guys managed to get it at that price.

Alan Photo and Cathay Photo were the 2 places, I think. However, I'm not so sure if it's still possible to get it at this price.

Status
Not open for further replies.