recommend a DSLR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuy

Sep 7, 2002
Alpha Centuari
Visit site
my digicam has stopped working all of a sudden, n i take it as a sign that it's time to upgrade to dslr! which is great, xpt that i haven't got $$$ being a student. soooo...

cld any1 recommend an affordable yet decent kit? heard good things abt the D50 from another thread, is there any other model i should consider?

also, is it cheaper to get it in another country, e.g. USA? i've got a few friends there i could trouble hehe...

thanks!

This could set off another C vs N debate.

I say that you try both C and N and see which one would suit you better.

Hey hey, got the KM one as well... ;p

N - D50
C - 350D
KM - 5D
Oly - E-500 (i vote for this)

Well, heard that the 5D is also good for its IS

shuy said:
is it cheaper to get it in another country, e.g. USA?

No... It is not cheaper to buy in the US. In fact, It can be more expensive due to, high mark-ups, additional shipping costs and city tax. I have been living in that country for more than 8 years, so I can say that I know enough to advice you.

In the first place do you know the pros and cons of using a dslr? many noobies jump into the bandwagon hoping that their shops will improve instantly cos they are using a so called pro camera. It's totally different from a toy camera.

DSLR beginner + no money = Nikon D50

that's probably wat most people will recommend...:D

My formulae is this: DSLR beginner + no money = borrow one from your rich best pal.

By the way, the price difference between the D50 and D70 is not much.

are you sure you need a Dslr? if budget constraint... stick to a prosumer range. Dslr is the root curse of the never ending "BUY BUY BUY"

Another vote for KM-5D!
Anti Shake really works and the price is too hard too resist...:devil:

what i would recommend is

1st... what kinda storage media u r using now? eg CF card? SD card?
2nd... den go along the line of your new DSLR... eg if u hv SD card, no point buying one that uses CF card unless ur SD card still got other uses... then again, u need to buy more CF cards
3rd... go to any camera shop, and test and functions, user friendliness, feel of the DSLR.
4th... what kinda upgrades are u going to hv? extra lens? flash? weight? cost in owning them? A brand is more __________ (expensive/heavier etc etc) than B brand?

the list continues...

hope u'll be able to choose your dream SLR camera soon...

If you don't know which one you want... how would we be able to decide for you? :dunno:

Go and try out all the reccomended cameras stated so far... at the end of the day it's what you feel about the camera.. no one can choose for you.. just remember that once you choose one, u'll prob be with that brand all the way...unless u're filthy rich...
:)

yeah ive been reading abt dslrs for some time now. i know the pros n cons. i'll be paying for the versatility and improved image sensor, which i couldn't have with a digicam. doesn't any1 else have a problem wif ridiculous noise at low light levels???

i'ved used a prosumer for a few years, so i know something about cams. the main thing putting me off now is the price. with the mem cards, lens, filters, tripod, etc i know it'll cost a bomb.

my cam (epson 3100z) is out of production, and epson can't repair it even for a fee. any 3rd party repair shops u know? i've been told it's more worth it just to buy a new cam.

i'm using CF now, but it's a measly 128mb one haha, that's like what 10 shots?

oh, n thanks for the info on US prices!

i'm strangely attracted to nikon, must be the cool d70 ads i saw last time. hmm....

shuy said:
i'm strangely attracted to nikon, must be the cool d70 ads i saw last time. hmm....

Do you mean the ones on SBSTransit buses? I think thse ads were poorly done.

Just buy all ba
joke aside...all the abv are capable of producing good pics
u won't go wrong choosing any of them
if u find it doesn't suit yr needs
worst to worst just sell it and bought another system

i was thinking of getting one, then sticking to it for years. i stuck wif my epson for like 5 yrs i think, it was amazing. till it died of cos.

photography's a hobby of mine, so i'll def switch to dslr 1 day. if i buy a prosumer now, i'll still end up buying a dslr in the future. so i thought, skip a step, go straight. makes more sense. :)

ugh... more research...

Status
Not open for further replies.