Recommend a digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etman

Mar 19, 2002
Singapore
www.etman.net
I'm looking for a digital camera that has these features.
Can anybody give some recommendations? Thanks!

2+ megapixels
2x-6x zoom with macro
Supports CF type I/II storage media
Costs <$1000

I will use my PDA to view the images on a CF card.
This will help to save the battery life of the camera.
I've seen my friend's camera go low on batteries because of the LCD screen power usage.

Did any manufacturer think of using a PDA's LCD screen
as a digital camera's viewfinder yet?
That would really lower the cost of a digital camera.
Too bad I can't use mine as a viewfinder.

Any thoughts on this?

for $1,000, you can get an average consumer digicam and they all seem alike to me.

for $788 you can get a F65 + 28-80 mm lens + 70-300mm lens + Bag.

What more to say ;)

Originally posted by erwinx
for $1,000, you can get an average consumer digicam and they all seem alike to me.

for $788 you can get a F65 + 28-80 mm lens + 70-300mm lens + Bag.

What more to say ;)

These will be much heavier though, even if you discount the rolls of film (to be equivalent to what a CF card can store).

If CF is impt (no limit to capacity!)...

CF can look at the Canon digicams... G1 can get sub-1000 for used (forget about Oly, Fuji, Sony etc that dun have CF)

Nikon coolpix (good cams but universally ugly designs... why pay $$$$ for coolpix 9xx "lego-cam" or coolpix 5000 that looks like a black-coloured Barbiecam!? Sorry to all coolpix owners but even my "square block" c2100 looks better than the coolpixs... Canon, Fuji and the newer Sonys have some of the better looking designs...) :D

Originally posted by etman
I'm looking for a digital camera that has these features.
Can anybody give some recommendations? Thanks!

2+ megapixels
2x-6x zoom with macro
Supports CF type I/II storage media
Costs <$1000

I will use my PDA to view the images on a CF card.
This will help to save the battery life of the camera.
I've seen my friend's camera go low on batteries because of the LCD screen power usage.

Did any manufacturer think of using a PDA's LCD screen
as a digital camera's viewfinder yet?
That would really lower the cost of a digital camera.
Too bad I can't use mine as a viewfinder.

Any thoughts on this?

If u r using a ipaq, u can get the SM pcmcia adaptor. if u r going to use the viewfinder on the pda a lot, u will have to invest in additonal batteries or expansion packs for the pda as well what. I think HP and some manufactorer's got digital cam addons for pdas but all are VGA and below.

Originally posted by xdivider

If u r using a ipaq, u can get the SM pcmcia adaptor. if u r going to use the viewfinder on the pda a lot, u will have to invest in additonal batteries or expansion packs for the pda as well what. I think HP and some manufactorer's got digital cam addons for pdas but all are VGA and below.

I'm using a Casio BE300 with an in-built CF slot.
(It cost me only $400!) ;)
That's why im looking for a camera that is CF based.
With this device, i can let my friends view photos immediately, without worrying about the camera's battery dying.
I can also send photos immediately over the internet by
the my school's wireless network.:cool:

Only thing is i am constrained by budget...lowering it to <$850

Some models im considering are:
Casio QV2900UX ~ $650
- quality?, powerful features, swivel lens, no manual viewfinder
powerful 8 x optical zoom
Nikon Coolpix 885 ~ $850
- expensive, 3M pixels, good camera, cute body
Canon Powershot A20 ~$700
- affordable, reasonable features, to be superceded by A40 soon

But PDA batteries don't drain as fast as camera batteries.
Mine will last a whole day.
:D

What do you all think about today's PDA digcam add-on cards?

I think they are rather useless! (No offence meant.)
Right now, the resolution is too low at 640x480, and there is no zoom lens, no variable aperture setting, no flash, no everything.

PDAs are 'smarter' than DigiCams, so they could function as sort
of a brain for the camera. Customizable camera settings!
:cool:
PDAs can also increase the connectivity of a camera. Photos can be sent through the web or email. They can be edited on the spot. They can be beamed to friends with the same PDA.

However today, few manufacturers produce both good cameras and good pdas. Let's see...

Originally posted by cutter
If CF is impt (no limit to capacity!)...

CF can look at the Canon digicams... G1 can get sub-1000 for used (forget about Oly, Fuji, Sony etc that dun have CF)

Nikon coolpix (good cams but universally ugly designs... why pay $$$$ for coolpix 9xx "lego-cam" or coolpix 5000 that looks like a black-coloured Barbiecam!? Sorry to all coolpix owners but even my "square block" c2100 looks better than the coolpixs... Canon, Fuji and the newer Sonys have some of the better looking designs...) :D

Wait till you need to shoot from some funny angles, like shooting a building from the ground, shoot above a crowd, shoot yourself and your girlfriend, heck, with the swivel lens, you can even use it as a temporary tripod (put it on a level surface and tilt the lens up and down to compose). This is functional design. Apart from teh Casio 2900 and Sony 505/707, no other cameras have the swivel lens design. Even then the Sony swivel isn't as flexible.

It's not ugly, it's cool (tm). That's why it's called the Coolpix. :D

Regards
CK

What do you all think about today's PDA digcam add-on cards?

I think they are rather useless! (No offence meant.)
Right now, the resolution is too low at 640x480, and there is no zoom lens, no variable aperture setting, no flash, no everything.

PDAs are 'smarter' than DigiCams, so they could function as sort
of a brain for the camera. Customizable camera settings!
:cool:
PDAs can also increase the connectivity of a camera. Photos can be sent through the web or email. They can be edited on the spot. They can be beamed to friends with the same PDA.

However today, few manufacturers produce both good cameras and good pdas. Let's see...

Think i'm more interested in getting the voyager vga I/O CF than a digicam attachment. :devil: Instead of addons, if pple can come out an expansion pack with a usb-master port, u can conveivably hang the pda on the belt connected to the camera on the hand.

Originally posted by ckiang

Wait till you need to shoot from some funny angles, like shooting a building from the ground, shoot above a crowd, shoot yourself and your girlfriend, heck, with the swivel lens, you can even use it as a temporary tripod (put it on a level surface and tilt the lens up and down to compose). This is functional design. Apart from teh Casio 2900 and Sony 505/707, no other cameras have the swivel lens design. Even then the Sony swivel isn't as flexible.

It's not ugly, it's cool (tm). That's why it's called the Coolpix. :D

Regards
CK

Like I covered meself... "Sorry to all coolpix owners..." :D... ok ok chill... its cool man... its cool ....:D

[take cover and leopard-crawl away before more coolpixers turn up with changkul+parang...]

I'm using a Casio BE300 with an in-built CF slot.
(It cost me only $400!) ;)
That's why im looking for a camera that is CF based.
With this device, i can let my friends view photos immediately, without worrying about the camera's battery dying.
I can also send photos immediately over the internet by
the my school's wireless network.:cool:

Only thing is i am constrained by budget...lowering it to <$850

Some models im considering are:
Casio QV2900UX ~ $650
- quality?, powerful features, swivel lens, no manual viewfinder
powerful 8 x optical zoom
Nikon Coolpix 885 ~ $850
- expensive, 3M pixels, good camera, cute body
Canon Powershot A20 ~$700
- affordable, reasonable features, to be superceded by A40 soon

Does the BE has wireless built in? If not i dun think u will be able to use a CF and the network at the same time. NUS rite?

Originally posted by cutter

Like I covered meself... "Sorry to all coolpix owners..." :D... ok ok chill... its cool man... its cool ....:D

[take cover and leopard-crawl away before more coolpixers turn up with changkul+parang...]

No use what, they turn up the iso high high, snipe u with the zoom and shoot u with the coolpix. :cool:

No use what, they turn up the iso high high, snipe u with the zoom and shoot u with the coolpix. :cool:

haha... show me one coolpix with the range of my 27x Oly ultra-bazoom :D

"...mine bigger than yours...." :D

129330_200_1.gif

nikon_cp5000.gif

Does the BE has wireless built in? If not i dun think u will be able to use a CF and the network at the same time. NUS rite?

u are rite!
But i can still copy photos from the cf to main memory first(16mb),
then send the photos through the NUS wireless lan.

Think i'm more interested in getting the voyager vga I/O CF than a digicam attachment. :devil: Instead of addons, if pple can come out an expansion pack with a usb-master port, u can conveivably hang the pda on the belt connected to the camera on the hand.

What does the voager vga I/O CF do?
Please enlighten me... :p

Yes!! :)
I went down to SLS and bought a Minolta S304.
Set me back by $800.
Got a charger and 4 AA rechargeables for $25.

At first i avoided Minolta coz i thought it did not support CF cards.
Then i found out that it supports CF Type I cards.
It is a really powerful camera...at that price.
Allows you to record sound in movie recording.
The manual is so detailed on the features that i got 'blurred'. :confused:

It seems the CF card has to be formated by the Minolta camera
before use.
My PDA's CF card cannot be read by the camera.
Maybe I should format it in the camera first, then try adding folders to the CF card to use it in the PDA.

Will post some shots soon!

u are rite!
But i can still copy photos from the cf to main memory first(16mb),
then send the photos through the NUS wireless lan.

Assuming u buy 128MB, that will be ard 100+ max pictures. Very tedious leh.

What does the voager vga I/O CF do?
Please enlighten me... :p

Allow u to project your display to a projector or monitor. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.