Recommend a Camcorder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by extreme2
I'm planning to buy a Camcorders... Can any one recommend? :light:
Hey friend, gladly to be of service to you! What is your budget and what do you use it for? Similar to Megaweb's requirement spec, hehe.

BTW, pls check your PM. I am looking for a web address from you. Thanks--

Hi Kevin,

My budget.... below 2K.

If possible cheap and good one.
;p

What is Megaweb requirement ?:)
I meant Megaweb's web site has a check list on which DC is suitable for you.

Anyway, here go my list of qns...

1. Do you want Palm size or normal size? Paml size is convenient for carrying around but the Gurus are against it saying that too small easy to shake. When you zoom 10 or 20 x full, is like using Oly C2100 wihout IS and trpod at 1/2s speed. Smaller more ex.

2. IS 10x Optical zoom enough for you or need 20x?

3. Do you shoot mainly indoor video or outdoor video.

4. Do you edit the video substantially B4 cutting into VCD/DVD?

5. Are you buying a lot of accessary like me (buy more than shoot)?

2k budget is very sufficient already. You are Nikonian right. So can consider Sony instead of just Canon.

Give us the answers of above questions then we can advise you better. ;)

1. Do you want Palm size or normal size? Paml size is convenient for carrying around but the Gurus are against it saying that too small easy to shake. When you zoom 10 or 20 x full, is like using Oly C2100 wihout IS and trpod at 1/2s speed. Smaller more ex.
Not too big... I thought those Palm Size DV from Sony comes with IS? How about those from Panasonic

Is there a great different in price?

At the moment indoor... but will use it for travel.

Might be doing that

What kind of accessories must get?

Thanks in advance :)

Not too big... I thought those Palm Size DV from Sony comes with IS? How about those from Panasonic
Both have IS but is EIS i.e. Electronic IS and not Optical IS using a prism. That is what made Sony famous for their DVC. But Sony only use OIS on high end models only nowaday.

Is there a great different in price?
Sony only have 10x for DVC and Pansonic is 15x to 20x. Can't remember Canon one liao. It is not the price but rather the brand. IF 10x not enough for you then cannot buy Sony Palm size one liao!

At the moment indoor... but will use it for travel.
Currently, sony consumer range is poor performance in low light condition. I happen to know because I am using Sony!!!!!

Might be doing that
Then must buy package come with the PCI video edit card.

What kind of accessories must get?
Std one loh like PL, TC, WC and etc. Can use your current one lah but must find step-up ring from 30mm to 72mm, hehe.

Hey friend, are you going to the SEED next week? IF you are not in a hurry to buy then may be we can talk about DVC over copi! ;)

Originally posted by Kevin
Hey friend, are you going to the SEED next week? IF you are not in a hurry to buy then may be we can talk about DVC over copi! ;)

Will be going. ;) need to have some advice from you.

Thanks.

What's the different of digital 8 and digital camcorder? How about hi 8? Is the quality of digital 8 not as good as the digital camcorder that use card instead of tape to store? I am new to this...

Originally posted by Kho King
What's the different of digital 8 and digital camcorder? How about hi 8? Is the quality of digital 8 not as good as the digital camcorder that use card instead of tape to store? I am new to this...
Wah! testing me ah? (just kidding ;) )

The major diff is the tape. DVC use MiniDV tape which is half the size of D8. So the Camcorder is smaller. D8 tend to have the size of Analog VC like Hi8. D8 tape is same size as Hi8. I think they use the same tape (not sure here). D8 allow you to record Digital video onto a anolog tape. In term of quality, MiniDV is better than analog becaude DVC record in over 460 to 530 horizintal lines. Anolog record in 200+ horizontal lines. I think Hi8 has slightly higher (not sure here). For D8, I think the Digital recording is over 400+ horizontal lines.

The advantage of D8 is the D8 tape is cheapper than MiniDV and it can playback video tape recorded under analog amd the VC is cheapper than DVC. If you have some old analog recording, you should get D8. This is the golden rules.

MiniDV record in a form of AVI file. When you transfer to PC the video editing card is cheapper and easier to edit as well. The DVC is smaller. So if you want something small and easy to edit than should get DVC.

For analog, it is slowly phasing out as it does not give any benefits but the cheapest cost.

BTW, D8 only available from Sony. Have not heard of DVC using card to store yet. May be you want to elaborate more.

Hpoe I pass the test! I am a newbie so you see alot of "not sure here" and "I think". :D

Thanks for sharing, Kevin. You definitely know more than I in this...thanks again. Now...I think I prefer digital 8 for lower price and cheaper tape. Haha...size is not a big problem...;)money is...;p

Status
Not open for further replies.