Recommend a Cam/ Lenses

kenlee81

Apr 13, 2010
hi all,

Looking into investing a better camera for taking planes after my pns camera gives me blur pictures or too far away to take them...

can any experts recommend me a slr or stuff i should consider??

thanks!

Have you considered a superzoom point and shoot? If you get a DSLR, you will still need to invest $$$ in a telephoto lens, etc.

thanks for the replies...

budget wise, in the range of about 1k to 2k max?

i'm toying with the idea of dslr cuz i thought it'll give me bigger and clearer pictures.. also definately need to pick up the skills for using such equipment..

thanks for the replies...

budget wise, in the range of about 1k to 2k max?

i'm toying with the idea of dslr cuz i thought it'll give me bigger and clearer pictures.. also definately need to pick up the skills for using such equipment..

If you get a DSLR, you will still need to get a lot closer to the planes, because most modern superzoom PnS can give you about 850mm equiv. focal length, while on a DSLR 400 or even 500mm is already monstrously huge.

Assuming 2k max, and including the $$$ for a small dry cabinet, you could get any of the entry-level dslr cameras from canon, nikon, sony, pentax, and then a 70-300 lens. Getting a 400mm lens may break your budget already.

hi, thanks for the quick reply..

my budget's slightly flexible & excludes the dry cabinet.. lol

i'm actually looking for something with a fast shutter speed, so that i can take multiple shots of the plane.. which i'm not able to do so with my current pns..

If you get a DSLR, you will still need to get a lot closer to the planes, because most modern superzoom PnS can give you about 850mm equiv. focal length, while on a DSLR 400 or even 500mm is already monstrously huge.

Assuming 2k max, and including the $$$ for a small dry cabinet, you could get any of the entry-level dslr cameras from canon, nikon, sony, pentax, and then a 70-300 lens. Getting a 400mm lens may break your budget already.

Hi, it would be useful if you could also describe how and where you take your pics of planes. Anyway, the higher-end DSLRs will give you a faster frames-per-second shooting mode but they are beyond your current budget. As for mentioning "faster shutter speed", it seems you may not fully understand how DSLRs work. Do find time to read up some basic photography materials first so that they can help you decide on the DSLR and lens you need and how to use them properly. Cheers!

Hi, it would be useful if you could also describe how and where you take your pics of planes. Anyway, the higher-end DSLRs will give you a faster frames-per-second shooting mode but they are beyond your current budget. As for mentioning "faster shutter speed", it seems you may not fully understand how DSLRs work. Do find time to read up some basic photography materials first so that they can help you decide on the DSLR and lens you need and how to use them properly. Cheers!

Nah, even an A33 will give him 7fps, an a55 will give him 10 fps.

hi, thanks for the quick reply..

my budget's slightly flexible & excludes the dry cabinet.. lol

i'm actually looking for something with a fast shutter speed, so that i can take multiple shots of the plane.. which i'm not able to do so with my current pns..

Then you may want to consider an A33, pair it up with a 70-300 or even 70-400 if your budget fits.

usually taking them making touch down.. but as fighter planes.. it's faster than commercial jets.. so i tend to always get either blur pictures or worse, miss them..

usually take them about 500m to 700m away.. my pns camera too far to take closer details of them..

will the A33 be sufficient? or should i jump to the A55, which u mentioned earlier?

since i haven't gotten the necessary camera skills to fully utilize the dslr, does the A33 have something like an auto focus?

sorry for asking really noob qns.. & thanks for ur help!

Then you may want to consider an A33, pair it up with a 70-300 or even 70-400 if your budget fits.

will the A33 be sufficient? or should i jump to the A55, which u mentioned earlier?

since i haven't gotten the necessary camera skills to fully utilize the dslr, does the A33 have something like an auto focus?

Maybe you can drop by a Sony Style outlet to try your hands on their DSLRs.
For Canon, you can drop by Vivocity (next to Golden Village) to try there.
Nikon is at Fuji Xerox Towers (Tg Pagar), and the rest I'm not too sure :)

I would say that all DSLRs, with the compatible lens (important), will have auto-focus capability. All the way from entry-level to top-of-the-line.
For moving objects, the camera will need some kind of auto-focus tracking. I think pretty much all the DSLRs have such a feature too, and what separates the wheat from the chuff is the accuracy and speed of such tracking.

* oh, and do try to get rid of that mentality that you have to have a certain skill before you can buy ____ 'level' DSLR. It's all about $$$.

Last edited:

Of course they have autofocus. We're not in the 1950's. ;)

As for your problem with the jet fighters, not only do you need a longer lens (like a 400mm) but you also need to practice PANNING.

Maybe you can drop by a Sony Style outlet to try your hands on their DSLRs.
For Canon, you can drop by Vivocity (next to Golden Village) to try there.
Nikon is at Fuji Xerox Towers (Tg Pagar), and the rest I'm not too sure :)

I would say that all DSLRs, with the compatible lens (important), will have auto-focus capability. All the way from entry-level to top-of-the-line.
For moving objects, the camera will need some kind of auto-focus tracking. I think pretty much all the DSLRs have such a feature too, and what separates the wheat from the chuff is the accuracy and speed of such tracking.

* oh, and do try to get rid of that mentality that you have to have a certain skill before you can buy ____ 'level' DSLR. It's all about $$$.

guess will really need to try them out myself, but under the circumstances i want from outdoor shots.. i think i'll need to rent & try it out before buying..

thanks for the advice! means i gotta spend more $$.... :cry:

Of course they have autofocus. We're not in the 1950's. ;)

As for your problem with the jet fighters, not only do you need a longer lens (like a 400mm) but you also need to practice PANNING.

guess gotta improve photo taking skills as well..

a new set of 400mm lenses will put me back by how much?? the kit lenses still not sufficient to take them?

guess will really need to try them out myself, but under the circumstances i want from outdoor shots.. i think i'll need to rent & try it out before buying..

thanks for the advice! means i gotta spend more $$.... :cry:

DSLR photography is not cheap.

guess gotta improve photo taking skills as well..

a new set of 400mm lenses will put me back by how much?? the kit lenses still not sufficient to take them?

more millimetres generally equates to further reach and the cost is usually proportional as well.

DSLR photography is not cheap.

Quick tips -
Clubsnap has a Canon price guide 2011 (sorry I shoot Canon and found it useful), do view it to get an idea how much bodies, lenses and accessories cost.
Google "Camera rental singapore" - there should be a couple of places where you can rent a body for say about S$30-50/day and lenses also about the same rate. Take them out for a couple of days to try first before you decide.
Good luck!

more millimetres generally equates to further reach and the cost is usually proportional as well.

so for picture taking say abt 500m to 700m away??