recommend a 12X camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

astrokai

Feb 23, 2004
hi guys,

Am thinking of buying a high zoom camera. Understand that the current market is around 12X.
Can you please give me some models to choose from. Currently I am only familar with the Canon brand that is the S3.
:dunno:

hmm... FZ7 seems nice.
Any more suggestions? under <$1k
Thanks HexLord

astrokai said:
hmm... FZ7 seems nice.
Any more suggestions? under <$1k
Thanks HexLord

fz5 if you can get ur hand on one at a cheap price, den you can spent rest of the $ for stuffs like filters/ext flash/wcon/tcon :thumbsup:
fz7 got all fz5 have + a few more aditional function. but i prefer the slightly better iso noise control of fz5 :bsmilie:

if its still available, grab the incredible but discontinued Panasonic FZ20 (constant f2.8 12X zoom lens) :bsmilie:

My friend just acquired one recently in M'sia for RM1700 about S$725 (Based on highest exchange rate) :bigeyes:

Think that you should be able to get a 2nd hand FZ20 at abt $500 ...

Ultra zooms are gd n very handy for all-rounder coverage, but do take note that quality decreases.

Get Canon S3 IS :thumbsup:
Panny cams still struggling on Noise :sweat:

Snoweagle said:
Ultra zooms are gd n very handy for all-rounder coverage, but do take note that quality decreases.

true, but if you are using lumix series, they still maintain quite a high level of quality even with 12x zoom. :thumbsup:, thats also one of the main point i choose fz5 over canon s2 the other time. ;p

Get Canon S3 IS
Panny cams still struggling on Noise

admit the newer lumix can't catch up with canon S3, but they fare slightly better in terms of capturing details. so its more of deciding if you wan more detail from low ISO or lesser noise at high ISO. :devil:

Best Denki at Taka selling FZ20 for $499 if you're interested...maybe you can share with us what functions / userbility / pic format you prefer then can narrow down to something closer to your needs

headfonz said:
Best Denki at Taka selling FZ20 for $499 if you're interested...maybe you can share with us what functions / userbility / pic format you prefer then can narrow down to something closer to your needs

Still have stock ah? Would be a good buy for first time users :)

headfonz said:

waa gooood price man... too bad i proceed pass fz le. :thumbsup: $500 for a constant f2.8 12x zoom... where can find? :think:

heh Lumix cameras capture ALOT more details than the canon cameras.
If you run your lumix photos through heavy noise reduction until you lose about 50% of the fine details, you will get images as clean as the canon 12X zoom cameras.

Look at the images of one of the best Macro shooters around, using a Panasonic Lumix camera.
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=215574

See all the hairs on the legs etc? See the details? Using a Canon 12X zoom camera those will basically be blur mush. You won't and can't get as stunning photos.

I was a proud owner of a Panasonic FZ20 beginning of last year before my DSLR days.
It's a great all rounder camera with almost everything a DSLR can offer.
No Regrets :thumbsup:

ExplorerZ said:
true, but if you are using lumix series, they still maintain quite a high level of quality even with 12x zoom. :thumbsup:, thats also one of the main point i choose fz5 over canon s2 the other time. ;p

Not necessary. Depending on what res u're taking at. If u're to blow up yr pic, u'll see the diff.

Snoweagle said:
Not necessary. Depending on what res u're taking at. If u're to blow up yr pic, u'll see the diff.

LOL guess you've got no experienced looking at images from a Panasonic camera with Leica Lens.. See to believe.
Talking about PnS wise.. I really doubt any other brands can really match up to the sharpness and detail level of images from the Lumix cameras. Even the OIS is one of the best around. Focusing speed trashes other 12X cameras so soundly that it's not really called a fight anymore..
If panasonic allows people a choice to up the incamera noise/detail reduction, it'll be unbeatable.

unseen said:
LOL guess you've got no experienced looking at images from a Panasonic camera with Leica Lens.. See to believe.
Talking about PnS wise.. I really doubt any other brands can really match up to the sharpness and detail level of images from the Lumix cameras. Even the OIS is one of the best around. Focusing speed trashes other 12X cameras so soundly that it's not really called a fight anymore..
If panasonic allows people a choice to up the incamera noise/detail reduction, it'll be unbeatable.

yeah... but lousy noise handling kills all those advantages. :(

Focusing speed @ 12x.... I tot canon got advantage. :dunno:

if u are telling mi u are alway using e photo to in A3 size... like poster or other bigger format..
then i think noise is a problem.

ok. i feel e S3 has a build in neat in e sys. that y u see less noise or better noise control.

Fz dont have neat build in. so e noise control not good.

s3 build in neat. that mean photo have being heavly filter. u cant do much on edit. like e deail are not there , lag of sharpness.. u cant recover itz. u may thing PS can do it. Are u Sure PS can Recover e deatil and sharpness of e photo that have Being heavily filter??? i dont think so.

Fz louzy build noise filter . u will have good sharpness and deatil plus noise. u can use neat to remove at your own liking. like u wan to filter it heavily or less to keep e deatil and sharpness more or less.

btw. if u are printing 4R size photo. noise is not a problem la. cant see e diff.
if noise is so importien to u . dont buy procom. go buy DSLR la. =p

my 2 cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.