Recommend 4.0MP digicam

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorinser220

Feb 19, 2003
Hoping to get some useful recommendations from you guys.:)
I'm currently using a Nikon CP5700 but since I'll be going overseas soon, I want a compact sized 4.0MP or above digicam that fits in my pocket.

Was eyeing the new Canon Ixus 400, any opinions? How about Minolta's F??? series? I like the new Nikon SQ and Minolta XT, too bad it's only around 3.2MP.:(

TIA:)

ixus 400 is good.. nice size, but not many manual options..

imyself would pay a bit more to get the s45/s50.

a bit bigger,
but still portable, and features ALL the manual functions of a g3 INCASE u need them..

no flash/lense attachment though...

Originally posted by dennislim
a g3 is quite portable too ... without the external flash and adaptor for those filters =)

G3? Think the CP5700 is smaller than that.

I think Minolta XT is a good choice. Saw someone's gallery using the Minolta XT before, great pictures.

Thanks for the advice guys.:) So far my first choice would be Canon followed by Minolta. Just gotta decide which model. No one recommending Sony's new range of 4.0-5.0MP digicams?

I think the S45 is quite a good buy.

If you can accept 3mp, A70 would be best.

I wanna get atleast a 4.0MP so can blow up to A4 size w/o much pixelation. So 3.2MP won't do. I considered bringing my CP5700 but it's just not convenient having to carry a toploader. Slipping it into my pocket is the best especially if going for parties or functions.

Hmmm, think I'll go educate myself further, so I can atleast narrow my decision down to two models.:)

Have you considered the Nikon 5000 series instead? It's not very big and you can re-use your exsisting Nikon gadgets with it?

Originally posted by espn
Have you considered the Nikon 5000 series instead? It's not very big and you can re-use your exsisting Nikon gadgets with it?

I don't have many gadgets for my CP5700, except for spare batteries, so I'd like to try new brands.:)

Originally posted by lorinser220
I wanna get atleast a 4.0MP so can blow up to A4 size w/o much pixelation. So 3.2MP won't do.

Frankly speaking, you will not see a big difference in making a A4 print using a 3mp or a 4mp picture.

To prove this point, use your CP5700 (5mp??) and do a direct print to A4, then resize it to 3mp (2048 x 1536) and then print it again. See the difference.

Originally posted by darkness
Frankly speaking, you will not see a big difference in making a A4 print using a 3mp or a 4mp picture.

To prove this point, use your CP5700 (5mp??) and do a direct print to A4, then resize it to 3mp (2048 x 1536) and then print it again. See the difference.

Thanks for the tip darkness. I used to use a Ixus 2.0MP and the difference btwn that and my 5.0MP CP5700 was tremendous. I guess you're probably right though that the 3.0MP can comfortably blow up to A4.

I think S45 would be good choice. Or top up just about $40 more for S50. Just a bit more than Ixus 400, but fully manual. Trust me, it does get irritating when you want more/less DOF and faster/slower shutter speed.

How big are your pickets? : D Size wise, not as pocketable as the Ixus 400, but still managable if you're usin baggies. Question is, is size more impt, or manual features.

Thanks for the tip Jason.:) As long as it can fit in most pants pockets it's fine for me. I usually wear jeans so a S50 should fit fine. Overally btwn the Ixus 400 and S50, I'd probably choose the S50 since I'd love to do some photography rather than just snapshots while I'm overseas.

Mju 400... All-weather and small... Cheaper than Ixus 400.
:D

I'm either getting the Ixus 400 or S50. Anyone know if the S50 black version is available in Singapore?

Anyone using the Minolta F300 or have anything to comment about it. Its quite slim and also 5.0MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.