Recommenaation needed for calibrating Monitor and Printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slacker

Mar 18, 2003
SG
Visit site
Looking for some advice from fellow snapper who have knowledge on colour calibration.

My friend is looking for a solution to get both his Macintosh and Canon i9950 printer calibrated in order to print more accurately.
Currently, his printout is often brighter than what he see on his monitor. While i have no clue as in how much difference between the print out and the monitor, all i suggest to him is to calibrate both of them using a device and hope it helps.
I have not used any such devices but only heard from fellow snappers that Spyder is among one of the more popular one. Is there any other brand available which is good as well?

And as for those who are working Macintosh, wondering if by just buying a display calibrator, will we be able to get the print out as close to what we see no the monitor?

Apologies for such a rush post to gather information for my friend.Hope to hear some sound advice from experts... :)

Appreciate your time and attention...

Hi, a few weeks ago I was pondering over the same question as how to WYSIWYG for the printouts on my canon I990 (old model with 7 ink cart for A4 prints). Here's a few suggestions:

Screen:
The 1st step in achieving a proper workflow with consistent color matching between the various digital medium, is to have a properly profiled monitor. This is definitely the most important as right after the shots are transferred from the cam to the PC/MAC, you'll be post processing with software tools which will require you to look the images displayed on the screen (CRT/LCD) and adjust/edit. If from the start the monitor is improperly profiled, rubbish in from you due to skewed color presented by the screen, rubbish will be printed out. Don't even be bothered with screen profilng software that depends on your eyes to judge the adjusment.. spend a few hundred bucks, get a proper profiling hardware such as Spyder2/3 or I1D2. I have both spyder2 and I1D2, I've never used the spyder 2 as i started out with the I1D2 and it does the job very well. Once the monitor is profiled, you only need to reprofile every other few weeks to months.

Printing:
Easiest way is to get the vendor provided ICC/ICM for the specified photo paper you are using. If you use the better quality paper from Canon for photo print, you can find them (the ICC/ICM for each paper) online. These are fairly good paper profiles and so far the ones i'm using from Canon has prints very very close to watch I see on the monitor (though the lightsource you are viewing the printouts with is also very important, too yellow or too white affect the hue across the print). If using Canon's ICC/ICM, just make sure you install the ICC/ICM, select the correct paper type and quality level prior to printing, and enable ICM within the print driver as you flip through the dialog boxes for print setup (WIndows). If using Mac, you need to ensure the ICC/ICM are installed and recognised by Colorsync and when your print, again select the correct paper type and quality level, let the printer manage the color profiles and allow colorsync within the print driver to handle the color matching. Don't let the graphic application handle the color profiling unless you know exactly how it works or you risk double profiling.
If however if you are using a different paper with no ICM/ICC support from the vendor, you need a printer profiler. This can come in various form of packages, some packaged with a hardware spectrocolorimeter while some require the use of scanners to profile your prints. I've both type. The winner is the one using a hardware spectrocolorimeter. Dun bother with the scanner solution which tends to be much cheaper. The color space with the scanner solution is very small giving you a really limited gamut that even if your printer can print, it is made not to print to its full potential. I'm using Printfix Pro Suite and so far my Samsung SP2020 dye sublimation print out are very good and accurate, almost rivaling my I990 which has a slightly wider gamut. Again, if got budget invest in the hardware profiler, or simply pay a bit of $$ for someone online to profile for you.

Conclusion:
Sceen:
Buy/borrow/rent a monitor profiler such as I1D2 or the latest SPyder3. However, if your monitor is not suitable (TN panels with serious color shifts and uneven lighting), dun waste $$. Buy a good monitor 1st, at least a S-PVA panel, if not the unrivaled IPS panels, OR simply get a cheap flat screen CRT monitor as they do better than most LCD.
Printing:
Got $$ buy a package with hardware profiler, or simply engage those print profiling services online which will request you to print an image sample which you will need to snail mail to them. Else search for the vendor provided profiles.

Both Mac and PC no problem with whatever options you decide to use as both workflows are similar. However, do not expect a full 100% match between the sceen and print as it will never happen.

Buying a hardware monitor calibrator probably makes more sense. Ambient light and age of monitor can affect wat u see on screen.

Thanks guys for the advice.
So meaning my friend can actually skip the display & printer calibrator and just a display calibrator to correctly calibrate the display and load the proper ICC profile of the paper will do the job (almost close though not 100%)?

Cos my friend went around looking for one after i have mentioned to him about such devices and he's planning on Spyder Studio which cost alot more than the Elite version.

One again, appreciate your time and advice on this matter. Learnt something interesting about profiling and calibrating today. :)

From what Scott Kelby said in his book, three steps: (1) calibrate your monitor, (2) set your camera and photo editor to Adobe RGB (3) download the correct ICC/ICM for the specified photo paper.

SpyderPro3 or Express2 should be sufficient for most people. Elite/Studio may be an overkill if you just print for personal consumption...

Have you heard about the Colormunkie? it is a hardware profiler for both the printer and screen..have read a review or 2 about this product..seems like an interesting option with a clean package with only 1 hardware.. but obviously this is not a cheap investment...otherwise, get the printfix pro suite with 2 hardware, one for screen, one for printer..i got this one...relatively cheap when purchased from Amazon..cost me less than SGD500bucks including shipping for both profilers..

From what Scott Kelby said in his book, three steps: (1) calibrate your monitor, (2) set your camera and photo editor to Adobe RGB (3) download the correct ICC/ICM for the specified photo paper.

SpyderPro3 or Express2 should be sufficient for most people. Elite/Studio may be an overkill if you just print for personal consumption...

Thanks man for the advice out from the book you have read.
While it is easier for me as i'm the one who's into photography but my friend ain.
He generates 3D for his interior design work and need to print it out to show his client while i am just a casual user of his com to print out sometime. So setting to AdobeRGB is a breeze for me but for him, ain such setting unless he import his final artwork into PS (which he does sometime) to maintain a consistency to ensure better color management.

Thought of getting him a calibrator and share some cost since i do printing now and then while it helps to get his workflow better.

Have you heard about the Colormunkie? it is a hardware profiler for both the printer and screen..have read a review or 2 about this product..seems like an interesting option with a clean package with only 1 hardware.. but obviously this is not a cheap investment...otherwise, get the printfix pro suite with 2 hardware, one for screen, one for printer..i got this one...relatively cheap when purchased from Amazon..cost me less than SGD500bucks including shipping for both profilers..

Thanks for bring ColorMunki up again. I have actually posted an enquiry thread not too long before but seems like no one is using it (referring to CSers) to comment further. Though some reviews have been posted from oversea, prefer a local flavoured review. ^^
The price from Amazon on this piece of device is rather attractive for a 2-in-1 package. Performance wise is a mixed bag from the reviews i read up.

How's the PrintFix doing for you? It is indeed a value for money package from what i have read. However, my main concern is the compatibility issue. My friend will be using it on a Macintosh running 10.5. Was not able to google up any information if this piece of device is capable of running it on 10.5. Ain wanna spend on something to realize it ain working for the environment that he has.

Hope to hear your little review on that PrintFix while i try to google on it. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.