Recommand a Cameras around $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

panpan

Sep 24, 2010
Hi all, I am Panpan, new to this forum.

I am look to upgradge from my old Panasonic DMC-FX10 6 Megapixels cameras, my wife always complain that she take very blurly picture. It not the cameras problem, she alway dont let the cameras focus. So looking for a replacement, that is easy to take picture for my wife, like some quick smart autofocus,etc but I will also like to play around with some setting when I using it.

Now looking at this model:
If my wife ok with the size and weight of this cameras
Nikon Coolpix L110 Appro S$389
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS appro S$399
Fuji FinePix S1800 appro S$379
I want to check whether the above cameras are better than the below, or are they only good for zooming only.

If not will be the following model :
Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Appro S$439
Nikon CoolPix S8000 Appro S$409

Please recommand or advise? Not getting the cameras now but around Nov'2010 or if have better choice or model just add in.:think:

If she never lets the camera focus, then getting a new camera will not correct that problem and just be like throwing away money. I suggest you teach your wife how to focus first.

Hi all, I am Panpan, new to this forum.

I am look to upgradge from my old Panasonic DMC-FX10 6 Megapixels cameras, my wife always complain that she take very blurly picture. It not the cameras problem, she alway dont let the cameras focus. So looking for a replacement, that is easy to take picture for my wife, like some quick smart autofocus,etc but I will also like to play around with some setting when I using it.

Now looking at this model:
If my wife ok with the size and weight of this cameras
Nikon Coolpix L110 Appro S$389
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS appro S$399
Fuji FinePix S1800 appro S$379
I want to check whether the above cameras are better than the below, or are they only good for zooming only.

If not will be the following model :
Fujifilm FinePix F80EXR Appro S$439
Nikon CoolPix S8000 Appro S$409

Please recommand or advise? Not getting the cameras now but around Nov'2010 or if have better choice or model just add in.:think:
sounds like a technique problem. Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to learn the right technique, instead of looking for a 'better' camera?
I don't quite get what you mean by "quick smart autofocus". You mean you expect the camera to know when to autofocus...?

Last edited:
If she never lets the camera focus, then getting a new camera will not correct that problem and just be like throwing away money. I suggest you teach your wife how to focus first.

I give up teaching her, now just have to remind her everytime she take picture to press half way, wait to see some square then press fully. I dont know what so hard about this. :embrass:

It also an excuse for me to up upgradge my cameras, :sweat:

Just wonder whether the cameras I chosen have better autofocus, etc then my DMC-FX10.

I give up teaching her, now just have to remind her everytime she take picture to press half way, wait to see some square then press fully. I dont know what so hard about this. :embrass:

It also an excuse for me to up upgradge my cameras, :sweat:

Just wonder whether the cameras I chosen have better autofocus, etc then my DMC-FX10.
DSLR will be faster to AF la... but then to spend so much money because of a technique problem... I find it quite hard to accept :)
If you want an excuse then that's different la...! :) But I don't think any of the cameras you shortlisted really will add a new dimension to your photography.
Nothing wrong with a 6 megapixel camera.

DSLR will be faster to AF la... but then to spend so much money because of a technique problem... I find it quite hard to accept :)
If you want an excuse then that's different la...! :) But I don't think any of the cameras you shortlisted really will add a new dimension to your photography.
Nothing wrong with a 6 megapixel camera.

This is what I afraid also, that is don't add new dimension to my photography.

I want a cameras to start with, but dont have the budget for now for DSLR.

So I try to get some cameras to play around first before going to DSLR when I have better technique. Looking for cameras that have better feature and control than a point and shoot.

So I try to get some cameras to play around first before going to DSLR when I have better technique. Looking for cameras that have better feature and control than a point and shoot.

2nd hand DSLRs can go for as low as 400-500. But again, if she does not learn how to focus, she will also get blur pictures.

if im in ur shoe.. i save a bit more money.. and get Canon S95
ur wife will love it compactness and you get to play with it..

camera phone - iphone 4

if im in ur shoe.. i save a bit more money.. and get Canon S95
ur wife will love it compactness and you get to play with it..

Won't make a difference to her if she does not let it finish focusing.

I think if you throw in three or four hundred more, you could get a Sony or a Pendax entry level camera with kit lens... ;)

Won't make a difference to her if she does not let it finish focusing.

We are out of focus:nono:

The new cameras will mostly use by me:devil:, just that she will be using the auto mode if she rarely use it or she can use the Panasonic DMC-FX10:angel:.

We are out of focus:nono:

The new cameras will mostly use by me:devil:, just that she will be using the auto mode if she rarely use it or she can use the Panasonic DMC-FX10:angel:.

In that case, fondle the cameras (also look at the Sonys) and buy the one that "calls" to you more.

If you buy a 2nd hand entry-level DSLR and stop there (ie don't buy too many more things), it doesn't really cost much more than a decent prosumer-class compact camera.
The problem is knowing when to stop spending :devil:

For me, I tend to classify compact cameras into one group generally... ie the difference in performance between one compact and another is not too significant. I find that the good-performing compacts (eg. S90, LX3) can cost almost as much as entry-level DSLRs. So to really have a 'new dimension' in photography, I would say.... DSLR is the way to go :)

If you buy a 2nd hand entry-level DSLR and stop there (ie don't buy too many more things), it doesn't really cost much more than a decent prosumer-class compact camera.
The problem is knowing when to stop spending :devil:

For me, I tend to classify compact cameras into one group generally... ie the difference in performance between one compact and another is not too significant. I find that the good-performing compacts (eg. S90, LX3) can cost almost as much as entry-level DSLRs. So to really have a 'new dimension' in photography, I would say.... DSLR is the way to go :)

Any recommand 2nd hand entry level DSLR model that I can look for, around $400 if possible?

Any recommand 2nd hand entry level DSLR model that I can look for, around $400 if possible?

Do you want to up the $400 to... say around $500 or maybe $600+? You might be able to get a good Sony A230. And I even see some Canon 450D for $470 (only catch is you need to buy your own lens). And I believe 1000D is selling cheap too (second hand).

Canon

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767838
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=765586&highlight=1000d (this one come with kit lens)

Sony

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764973&highlight=A230

Better to search our BnS section. Also don't forget to look to other brands like the Pentax and Olympus too (both make excellent DSLR too!)

Happy hunting!:D

I sold a Nikon D40 for about $500 about a year and a half ago.
A sony A230 was going for about $6xx brand new, so 2nd hand should be in the $4xx range.

Have try out D3000 in Courts like it but it don't come with HD video. Will wait for D3100, hope it come out before Nov'2010 and around $1000.00.

Have try out D3000 in Courts like it but it don't come with HD video. Will wait for D3100, hope it come out before Nov'2010 and around $1000.00.

So is your budget $400 or $1000?

Anyway test in courts is fine. Just don't buy there.

Status
Not open for further replies.