Recomend me a Wide Angle lens.... pls pls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurboiboi

Jan 8, 2003
Loyang
blurboiboi.instantlogic.com
hi all...
I juz gotten myself a KM 28-75mm F2.8... its results are significantly better than the kit....
but apparently the 28mm end is not wide enough for my liking.... thus looking around a wide angle lens to compliment it... besides the 17-35mm any other lens to reco??...

Prime lens? Like 16mm Fisheye, 20mm, 24mm?
Or cheaper third party lens:
Sigma 17-35mm
Tokina 19/20-35mm f/2.8 (quite ex) or f/3.5-4.5
Tokina 17mm f/3.5 etc.

get the KM 17-35mm. get original always if you can. if you need wider, the sigma 15-30mm is a good choice.

Thread starter, want to sell your 28-75mm n then, can get a wider lens? ;p Me using film, 28-75mm just nice for me. 20mm prime too ex and furthermore, make sure you do use it else become "white elephant" heh heh! :D

If really want ultra wide zoom (< 17mm) for 5D or 7D, now only got 3 choices:

KM 11-18mm
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 12-24mm

Look on the bright side, only 3 lenses to choose from less headache...

But if don't mind >17mm, then headache liao...

The tamron and the KM is the same lens, might as well by the KM one...

94973159_3a5baab48c.jpg

with Tokina 17mm f3.5 lens..

thanks for all the suggestions... thinking of the 11-18mm lens....
any one knows how much it cost?... anyone using it and is willing to share how is it's performance??

blurboiboi said:
any one knows how much it cost?... anyone using it and is willing to share how is it's performance??

Hi, that one is DT lens not full frame lens. Distortion is poor as sulhan have shown. May not worth the price IMHO.

tokrot said:
Hi, that one is DT lens not full frame lens. Distortion is poor as sulhan have shown. May not worth the price IMHO.

HIee...

Actually if you do really wide....11-18. FOr schenic landscape type of wide with you standing at mid height of the scene its okay...but if you gonna take a floor level lookin gup tyoe of scene.....the distortions at the corners especially for humans subject may be wierd...

tokrot said:

ohz really?... there is;nt any wide lens that are made for KM DSLR at the moment?..
if that is so... maybe I will just settle for 17-35mm.... is it good enough??

blurboiboi said:
ohz really?... there is;nt any wide lens that are made for KM DSLR at the moment?..
Try it yourself to determine if its good enough for you. At the end of the day, you should decide yourself.

Drudkh said:
Try it yourself to determine if its good enough for you. At the end of the day, you should decide yourself.

I agree that trying on various lenses at the shop oneself is the best way to arrive at a decision. However, it seems no-one have stocks of the Sigmas 10-20, 12-24, 15-30 or KM 11-18 which I am considering. If you know any shop that has three (or even two) out of the four I am considering, pls let me know.

AncientMariner said:
I agree that trying on various lenses at the shop oneself is the best way to arrive at a decision. However, it seems no-one have stocks of the Sigmas 10-20, 12-24, 15-30 or KM 11-18 which I am considering. If you know any shop that has three (or even two) out of the four I am considering, pls let me know.

For those who are interested and is having a REALLY hard time finding the ultra wides, these are the places I found... price-wise I think I will 1/2 censor, not nice otherwise (don't ask me to explain the abbreviations hor, :) most folks here will know)...

Sigma 10-20mm
MSC: $8XX (sorry guys, I bought the last one...)
J316: No stock but willing to order
TKF: No stock but willing to order

KM 11-18mm
AP (Funan): $9XX
J316: $9XX
CP: $9XX
TKF: $8XX

Haven't seen any of the FF ultra wides for Minolta though... not sure if I saw a Sigma 12-24 @ TCW, but I didn't enquire bout the price.

tokrot said:

I think the pics taken by Sulhan shows perspective distortion due to leveling, not actual distortion (such as barrel or pin cushion)..

blurboiboi said:

Hi, if you think you will not shoot 35mm or upgrade to full frame, the DT / DC lenses are actually quite cost effective for their price. With wide end focal length of 10-11mm, they're THE BOMB if you like to shoot landscapes.

Sigma 12-24 is also good except it's one HUGE lens that takes gelatin filters.

However the 17-35 may work for you if you feel that 25.5 - 52.5mm in 35mm format is good enough... (wide but not ultrawide)

drake336 said:
For those who are interested and is having a REALLY hard time finding the ultra wides, these are the places I found... price-wise I think I will 1/2 censor, not nice otherwise (don't ask me to explain the abbreviations hor, :) most folks here will know)...

Sigma 10-20mm
MSC: $8XX (sorry guys, I bought the last one...)
J316: No stock but willing to order
TKF: No stock but willing to order

KM 11-18mm
AP (Funan): $9XX
J316: $9XX
CP: $9XX
TKF: $8XX

Haven't seen any of the FF ultra wides for Minolta though... not sure if I saw a Sigma 12-24 @ TCW, but I didn't enquire bout the price.

Tks. Looks like I got to decide blindly and buy thru back-order unless I go for the KM 11-18.

blurboiboi said:

Bought this lens 2 weeks ago... I think it is ok for its price... Bought it for $910

Here is some sample shots.. don't have the 100% crop though..

55558463.jpg

55558456.jpg

55558454.jpg

Regards,

Hart

Status
Not open for further replies.