Recomend GPS for Mal/Sing and Aus driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Hi,

I am considering getting a reasonaby priced (<$500)pocket sized GPS for driving in Sing/Mal and Aus (free maps is a must, don't intend to pay for maps).

Thinking about the Garmin Nuvi 200W or Shingko 3511 at $399 from Eastgear.

Any other similarly priced ones that you think are better than the above 2 I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

I was in the same dillema, talking to my friends and Garmin seems to be very porpular in US and Europe and I really like their device outlook, however according to Justin (Eastgear), MapKing devices(Holux & Shinco) are better because you can search your destination by postal code rather than the long winded address...at the end I did not bought any of those :sweatsm:

You will need to buy at least one set of maps.

The NUVI 200 is available from Merdeka in SLS for 379S$

There are no free Aus maps.

Hi,

I am considering getting a reasonaby priced (<$500)pocket sized GPS for driving in Sing/Mal and Aus (free maps is a must, don't intend to pay for maps).

Thinking about the Garmin Nuvi 200W or Shingko 3511 at $399 from Eastgear.

Any other similarly priced ones that you think are better than the above 2 I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

you can get the nuvi 200 at US$100...
it's US$149 here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8286516&st=garmin+nuvi&type=product&id=1172880157518
but use this coupon here: http://slickdeals.net/?pno=13233&lno=2&afsrc=1
to bring it down to US$100

then use vpost or whatever courier service to send it back to SG.

what i did was to buy a bluetooth gps receiver for about $70+, then go online and search for GPS software and maps that can be installed in my phone. you need a phone that runs pocketPC/symbian/UIQ3 OS which allows you to install software. phones like the sony-e w960i, nokia N73 etc.

I used my N95 in australia. Free maps from nokia.

I use a Dopod 838 Pro with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. For software, I use MapKing in Singapore & Malaysia. I also have the Tom Tom software which I used in Australia.

MapKing is very good when it comes to searching. Very much easier to search. Very flexible - can search in a number of different ways. Keyword, index, postal code, etc.

With Tom Tom, you must first know which CITY your destination is first. When searching, the first thing that you must enter is the city. Otherwise you won't be able to find it.

Garmin is slightly better than Tom Tom but you have to enter a long address. If you don't know the full address, you may not be able to find it.

When it comes to actual navigation MapKing is the worst of the three. Both Tom Tom and Garmin are better. Both give better voice instructions and have more options when it comes to planning your route. However, the new MapKing softwre for the standalones (i.e. not run on PDA but on a dedicated GPS unit) has been improved.

you can get the nuvi 200 at US$100...
it's US$149 here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8286516&st=garmin+nuvi&type=product&id=1172880157518
but use this coupon here: http://slickdeals.net/?pno=13233&lno=2&afsrc=1
to bring it down to US$100

then use vpost or whatever courier service to send it back to SG.

what i did was to buy a bluetooth gps receiver for about $70+, then go online and search for GPS software and maps that can be installed in my phone. you need a phone that runs pocketPC/symbian/UIQ3 OS which allows you to install software. phones like the sony-e w960i, nokia N73 etc.

What's your feedback re the Nuvi 200? Well, if I buy, I will give some biz to eastgear, but want to know if any negative feedback before I take the plunge. I personally like the design and look of the Nuvi 200W too. I understand map for Aus get be gotten free from this site.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net

Anyone tried to see if it works?

Bought a Gramin Nuvi200W. Really useful for Australian maps. There are quite a few free ones available. If not you can also buy the Australian maps from Garmin directly. If you need more help on the Australian maps, PM me and I can help you.

Malsing maps, everyone knows how great they are. The Jan'08 version is free and if you contribute 2-3 places of interest on the forum, you can get unlock keys for July'08 maps.

I have MapKing on my N95 but found the screen too small. Useful still for emergencies when I don't have the Garmin with me.

Ansel, go to Australia, buy a Garmin Nuvi200W from places like Dick Smith with routable Aussie maps (e.g. CityNavigator), that should be around A$500, then when you're back, download Malsingmaps for the Malaysia and Singapore routable maps.

Free maps with no routing info is pretty much useless, and if I'm not wrong maps on Nokias are free but you pay through your nose for data charges.

Ansel, go to Australia, buy a Garmin Nuvi200W from places like Dick Smith with routable Aussie maps (e.g. CityNavigator), that should be around A$500, then when you're back, download Malsingmaps for the Malaysia and Singapore routable maps.

Free maps with no routing info is pretty much useless, and if I'm not wrong maps on Nokias are free but you pay through your nose for data charges.

Oh...but A$500 is S$650!!

Sorry, quite new to GPS systems. What is routable maps compared to "normal" maps?

Oh...but A$500 is S$650!!

Sorry, quite new to GPS systems. What is routable maps compared to "normal" maps?

It means there is no navigation information in there. Don't spend so much. Just get the Nuvi 200W without any maps. Use Malsingmaps and find free routable maps online. PM me if you need more info.

Sean is correct, non-routable maps just give you a pretty picture, but it will not tell you how to get from where you are to your destination.

You can get a simple GPS with Aussie maps for as low as A$150 if you find them on special, but they're not likely to be Garmin so you can't use Malsingmaps when you're here.

Bite the bullet, spend the extra, you will have an indispensable tool. I personally reckon it's false economy to buy an el-cheapo then another Garmin to use Malsingmaps locally.

Try checking out the Garmin 200 from Amazon. IMO, no need for the widescreen version.

Free maps avail both for Sing/Mal and also Australia if u try looking hard enough.

:bigeyes: thanks for the link!

Checked it out. But nothing mention about warranty. Not sure if they provide the same warranty as Eastgear?

better get the unit from more reliable sources, you only pay $49 diff and it comes with US maps.

If you use the Australia maps often, more worth to get the GPS unit from Oz, and install your own mal/sing maps. A$379
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/garmin-nuvi260w.htm

go au and buy.
Garmin nuvi 260 is selling for 249 and they would have the australian maps.
Singapore maps and malaysian maps are available readily.

Status
Not open for further replies.