rechargeble batteries questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewSCL

Apr 22, 2002
Central
hmm..do we need to charge the BRAND NEW batteries after buying?

COs i just got the Sanyo2300mha but funny thing is that it is already fully charged liao..

Are new rechargable batteries charged?
i think no need to dis-charge and charge again lah hoh..Ü
:sweatsm:

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.

Rechargable batteries are charged upon manufacture and shipped. But the charge is not full and due to the long span of time from shipping to consumer buying, the batteries will self discharge. Especially for Ni-Cad and Ni-Nh which have a faster rate of discharge whereas Li-Ion has a slower discharge rate.

Most batteries sold are normally shrink wrapped in plastic, reason is to prevent self discharge during shelf life.

It is advisable to charge new rechargable batteries before use. Many manufacturers advise the first charge of at least 10hrs before use. This will bring the batteries up to full charge and life span.

For Ni-Mh and Li-Ion batteries, subsequent charges can be done even before they are fully discharged as these do not have memory effect like the Ni-Cad. But it is still advisable to charge them when fully discharged.

nokin

rite...thanks for the info...i have the smae thoughts as you ...thats y i charged the 1st set (did a discharger first..)...end upi took almost 7hrs to have it discharge and fully charge again.. :sweat:

thanks once again...

Always charge up your batteries when you get them I'm sure there are instructions that accompany the battries which you bought.

sehsuan said:
curiously, where did you get this from?

Rechargable batteries are normally not shrink wrapped. But carbon batteries usually are. Sorry if I have misled you.

nokin said:
Rechargable batteries are normally not shrink wrapped. But carbon batteries usually are. Sorry if I have misled you.

oh ok. actually, i was thinking that some rechargeables were sold via "DIY-style" shrinkwrapping too. so it kinda makes this a complex little thing to address :D

Hi matt,

Did have the same question as yours when I first bought my Sanyo 2300 batteries and MAHA charger. I asked Daniel (Eastgear) and from him, "YES", we've to charge the batteries. Simply insert them into the charger and charge till the lights turns green.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.