Rechargeable Li-ion AA Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2005
Hi, can someone recommend me good rechargeable li-ion AA batteries for use in digital cameras? Better yet please give me some price ranges, kam sia kam sia! :)

Robin

Mar 5, 2004
Tanah Merah
there are AA lion rechargeables.....? i didnt know.....if so.....i also wanna know where to get them......

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
There are no Li-ion rechargeable battery in AA size.
IIRC the difference in native voltage 3.7V vs 1.2V of NiMH render them unusable in common design device.

Nerd

Oct 25, 2002
Singapore - Jurong West
Visit site
There ARE AA sized Li-ion equivalents. But do NOT use them in places where you'll normally put AA batteries unless you know what you are doing. They are 14500s and usually have a capacity of 700mah.

Nov 28, 2005
I'm not sure but I found these links containing some type of rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1336

http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/techinfo/digital_cam.asp (see "GPCRV3L" in last row of table)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/cr-v3.html

I'm not so technical so was hoping some expert bros here can help clarify :)

Robin said:
there are AA lion rechargeables.....? i didnt know.....if so.....i also wanna know where to get them......

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
As mentioned, Li-ion batteries is 3.7V, as shown on the website, which is different from the normal 1.2-1.4V AA size batteries.
You can try at your own risk, but I hope you won't fry any of the electronics which utilise AA batteries standardised as 1.2-1.4V per batteries.

Feb 25, 2006
Singapore
www.flickr.com
There are no single rechargeable AA batteries, but there are rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 batteries as shown in the link provided. The reason that they are 3v instead of 1.5v is because each rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries is actually 2 AA batteries joined together and each CR-V3 is supposed to replace two AA batteries.

Rechargeable CR-V3s can be used in many cameras as listed in the GP Batteries link. I believe that the voltage would be similar to the non-rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries which you can easily obtain from any electrical shop, including BEST.

CR-V3 can only be used in your camera if your battery chamber accepts two AA batteries side by side, this is because the CR-V3 is shaped like two AA batteries joined together. For example, the Olympus E10/E20 works with 2 CR-V3s or 4 AA Ni-MHs.

Get the 3v ones and not the 7.4v ones as the voltage from 2 AA Alkaline is 3v.

The main advantage of rechargeable CR-V3s is low self-discharge rate, and the disadvantage is the relatively high cost compared to Ni-MHs.

Nov 28, 2005
Thanks a lot Pynch! Your post is really useful for me and I'll probably get a cheap CR-V3 battery to try on the camera before buying actual rechargeable CR-V3s.:)

Pynch said:
There are no single rechargeable AA batteries, but there are rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 batteries as shown in the link provided. The reason that they are 3v instead of 1.5v is because each rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries is actually 2 AA batteries joined together and each CR-V3 is supposed to replace two AA batteries.

Rechargeable CR-V3s can be used in many cameras as listed in the GP Batteries link. I believe that the voltage would be similar to the non-rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries which you can easily obtain from any electrical shop, including BEST.

CR-V3 can only be used in your camera if your battery chamber accepts two AA batteries side by side, this is because the CR-V3 is shaped like two AA batteries joined together. For example, the Olympus E10/E20 works with 2 CR-V3s or 4 AA Ni-MHs.

Get the 3v ones and not the 7.4v ones as the voltage from 2 AA Alkaline is 3v.

The main advantage of rechargeable CR-V3s is low self-discharge rate, and the disadvantage is the relatively high cost compared to Ni-MHs.

wrx_sti_22b

Apr 14, 2005
Compassvale Lane
Robin said:
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA, only one use & throw type. And their capacity can be a very useful 2900mAh, i've seen.

Feb 25, 2006
Singapore
www.flickr.com
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA.

There are rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3.

One CR-V3 = 2 AAs joined together.

CR-V3 can be used in many digital cameras.

If still confused, see the link below for a list of cameras that can use rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/index.htm?http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_crv3r.htm

You can buy rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3 easily off the web.

Just do a search on "rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3" and many show up.

These rechargeable CR-V3s are not cheap.

Nerd

Oct 25, 2002
Singapore - Jurong West
Visit site
Pynch said:
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA.
wrx_sti_22b said:
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA, only one use & throw type. And their capacity can be a very useful 2900mAh, i've seen.
As brittlestars has a already shown, there ARE rechargeble Li-Ion AA size known as 14500. Their maximum discharge current is at 750ma which is anemic for digital cameras.

The Lithium batteries that wrx_sti_22b is talking about is sold by energizer and uses a different lithium chemistry to get around 1.7 volts unloaded voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom