Rechargeable Li-ion AA Batteries?


Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2005
46
0
0
#1
Hi, can someone recommend me good rechargeable li-ion AA batteries for use in digital cameras? Better yet please give me some price ranges, kam sia kam sia! :)
 

Robin

Senior Member
Mar 5, 2004
645
0
16
Tanah Merah
#2
there are AA lion rechargeables.....? i didnt know.....if so.....i also wanna know where to get them......
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,741
0
0
270 degree of Singapore
#3
There are no Li-ion rechargeable battery in AA size.
IIRC the difference in native voltage 3.7V vs 1.2V of NiMH render them unusable in common design device.
 

Nerd

New Member
Oct 25, 2002
807
0
0
33
Singapore - Jurong West
Visit site
#4
There ARE AA sized Li-ion equivalents. But do NOT use them in places where you'll normally put AA batteries unless you know what you are doing. They are 14500s and usually have a capacity of 700mah.
 

Nov 28, 2005
46
0
0
#5
I'm not sure but I found these links containing some type of rechargeable Li-ion AA batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1336

http://www.gpbatteries.com.hk/html/techinfo/digital_cam.asp (see "GPCRV3L" in last row of table)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopsforless/cr-v3.html

I'm not so technical so was hoping some expert bros here can help clarify :)


Robin said:
there are AA lion rechargeables.....? i didnt know.....if so.....i also wanna know where to get them......
 

zcf

Senior Member
Apr 10, 2005
6,741
0
0
270 degree of Singapore
#6
As mentioned, Li-ion batteries is 3.7V, as shown on the website, which is different from the normal 1.2-1.4V AA size batteries.
You can try at your own risk, but I hope you won't fry any of the electronics which utilise AA batteries standardised as 1.2-1.4V per batteries.
 

Feb 25, 2006
493
0
16
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#7
There are no single rechargeable AA batteries, but there are rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 batteries as shown in the link provided. The reason that they are 3v instead of 1.5v is because each rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries is actually 2 AA batteries joined together and each CR-V3 is supposed to replace two AA batteries.

Rechargeable CR-V3s can be used in many cameras as listed in the GP Batteries link. I believe that the voltage would be similar to the non-rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries which you can easily obtain from any electrical shop, including BEST.

CR-V3 can only be used in your camera if your battery chamber accepts two AA batteries side by side, this is because the CR-V3 is shaped like two AA batteries joined together. For example, the Olympus E10/E20 works with 2 CR-V3s or 4 AA Ni-MHs.

Get the 3v ones and not the 7.4v ones as the voltage from 2 AA Alkaline is 3v.

The main advantage of rechargeable CR-V3s is low self-discharge rate, and the disadvantage is the relatively high cost compared to Ni-MHs.
 

Nov 28, 2005
46
0
0
#8
Thanks a lot Pynch! Your post is really useful for me and I'll probably get a cheap CR-V3 battery to try on the camera before buying actual rechargeable CR-V3s.:)

Pynch said:
There are no single rechargeable AA batteries, but there are rechargeable Li-ion CR-V3 batteries as shown in the link provided. The reason that they are 3v instead of 1.5v is because each rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries is actually 2 AA batteries joined together and each CR-V3 is supposed to replace two AA batteries.

Rechargeable CR-V3s can be used in many cameras as listed in the GP Batteries link. I believe that the voltage would be similar to the non-rechargeable CR-V3 Li-ion batteries which you can easily obtain from any electrical shop, including BEST.

CR-V3 can only be used in your camera if your battery chamber accepts two AA batteries side by side, this is because the CR-V3 is shaped like two AA batteries joined together. For example, the Olympus E10/E20 works with 2 CR-V3s or 4 AA Ni-MHs.

Get the 3v ones and not the 7.4v ones as the voltage from 2 AA Alkaline is 3v.

The main advantage of rechargeable CR-V3s is low self-discharge rate, and the disadvantage is the relatively high cost compared to Ni-MHs.
 

wrx_sti_22b

Senior Member
Apr 14, 2005
4,968
2
38
42
Compassvale Lane
#9
Robin said:
there are AA lion rechargeables.....? i didnt know.....if so.....i also wanna know where to get them......
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA, only one use & throw type. And their capacity can be a very useful 2900mAh, i've seen.
 

Feb 25, 2006
493
0
16
Singapore
www.flickr.com
#10
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA.

There are rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3.

One CR-V3 = 2 AAs joined together.

CR-V3 can be used in many digital cameras.

If still confused, see the link below for a list of cameras that can use rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3.

http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/index.htm?http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_crv3r.htm

You can buy rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3 easily off the web.

Just do a search on "rechargeable Li-Ion CR-V3" and many show up.

These rechargeable CR-V3s are not cheap.
 

Nerd

New Member
Oct 25, 2002
807
0
0
33
Singapore - Jurong West
Visit site
#11
Pynch said:
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA.
wrx_sti_22b said:
There are no rechargeable Li-Ion AA, only one use & throw type. And their capacity can be a very useful 2900mAh, i've seen.
As brittlestars has a already shown, there ARE rechargeble Li-Ion AA size known as 14500. Their maximum discharge current is at 750ma which is anemic for digital cameras.

The Lithium batteries that wrx_sti_22b is talking about is sold by energizer and uses a different lithium chemistry to get around 1.7 volts unloaded voltage.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom