Rechargeable Battery

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Hi everyone,recently I bought a Canon 580EXII speedlight.As this is my very first flash & that I am very "noob" with regrds to flash photography,I would like some advise from everyone here in CS.My issue is some friends of mine have asked me to buy rechargeable batteries for the speedlight.As I don't really use it that often, I am still wondering whether should I just to stick on to the 4AA battery or get the rechargeable ones? Which is more feasible in the long run?(Not really hoping to save $$$ though.Just need some realistic comments or so).Hope to get some constructive advice or comments from all you brudders out there.Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:
The batteries gets drained up pretty fast in a speed light, so it's more economical to get rechargeable batteries

That "Saving Gaia" song starts playing in the background...

Haha. Seriously, if you are an infrequent user, then using rechargeable batteries may seem costly. A set of 4 batteries is about $10? The charger is about $30?

Of course, rechargeables are more environmentally friendly and do not heat up as fast as the alkaline batteries due to lower internal resistance.

Rechargables will save you money and be less of a hassle in the long run. You don't have to go to the closest minimart of supermarket to top-up or urgently purchase batteries when you need them.

Non-rechargables usually have more capacity and quicker cycle time.

Not true. Yes, rechargeable batteries (notably the NiMH battery) save you money in long run, but you still have to charge them when their charges went low, and if you are staying near a minimart, it is still easier and faster to get fresh batteries as and when you need them (unless the shops are closed).

Non-rechargeable batteries (namely alkaline batteries) do not give you quicker recycle time... in actual facts (both from personal experience and also some read up in the net) they are slower. As quote from the-digital-picture,

Don't use alkalines - NiMH batteries will save you lots of money and will work better. NiMH batteries have much less internal resistance than alkaline batteries resulting in significantly shorter re-cycle times (up to 50% faster).
ref from Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash Review

Another website: Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Powering the flash - Batteries (this one was mainly on Nikon Flashes but it would apply to any camera brand too)

It showed that NiMH batteries give around 30 - 50% faster recycling time as compared to alkaline batteries.

Personally, I used NiMH batteries for all my flash needs (a 430EXII and a YN565EX) and they are very very fast in recycling time too.

However I must warn TS that NiMH batteries are not cheap to buy, in actual facts they are pretty expensive, but they last a long time... you can recharge them over and over again.

use rechargeable.

Alkaline batteries will leak if you leave them inside your flash for too long, you will kiss your flash goodbye if it happens.

Rechargeable batteries are great if you're a heavy user. The cost savings, green factor and they perform better than disposable batteries.

However, if you're a light user, the benefits are iffy. For one you'll have to remember to keep them charged else you end up buying disposables when you need them. Prolonged storage in discharged state shortens the life.

Battery leakage, never store any equipment with batteries of any kind, rechargeable or disposable, all can leak with disposables the worst.

Use rechargeable ones especially ones with eneloop technology. Not only because they hold their charge for extended periods when not in use but also because their power output does not change substantially even when the battery charge is running low.
So for a 2000mah battery even before the battery is about to drain out the output will still be the same

It depends on how frequent you use the speedlite.

A pack of consumer rechargeable batteries with charger cost between $30-50. But it's only an initial "investment", in the long run it'll save you more money.

Other than the costs savings, I think more importantly is the performance of the batteries. Those cheap alkaline batteries may not give the best power output or recycle rate

just simply do your sum,

if you use the flash 10 times a year,

10times x 4 alkaline batteries x $1 each = $40

one set of
rechargeable batteries with charger is about $40.00,

so you use more then 10 times a year will save money,

if you use less than
10 times a year, than why bother to buy a flash?

you rent 10 times is still cheaper then owning one.

lol...

Ikea sells AA alkaline for $2.50 (IIRC) for a pack of 10pcs i.e. < 25 cents per AA.
Each set of 4 will cost $1.
Just be aware that the recharge will be slower, total capacity is lower ( IIRC, about 1200mAH ) and might leak during storage.

catchlights said:
just simply do your sum,

if you use the flash 10 times a year,

10times x 4 alkaline batteries x $1 each = $40

one set of rechargeable batteries with charger is about $40.00,

so you use more then 10 times a year will save money,

if you use less than 10 times a year, than why bother to buy a flash?

you rent 10 times is still cheaper then owning one.

Actually, if TS use flash so rarely, why bother to own one? Just sell off in BnS and do without the flash lor. Just in the built-in flash for fill in

I using eneloop~
Best rechargables cause when you buy them they are ready to use~

Most important they still retain 75% charge after 3 years when not in use~
Normally rechargables u put a few mths dry already need to recharge~

Last edited: